What's new

How do you know your razor size?

I bought a razor with zero information. Its a vintage Tuckmar and Id like to figure out the size. is there a way to measure it? also, whats a half or full hollow? how do I tell which mine is?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 97
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 96

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A lot of guys will chime in with info. If you enjoy reading this thread will give you all the info you are looking for.

I believe it is common in modernity to measure razors from the top of the spine, not factoring spine height variation from razor to razor. I subscribe to the belief that those who produced 'vintage' razors measured from the top of the honing bevel or the beginning of the hollowed portion, thus reconciling the larger-than-advertised phenomenon we frequently observe (e.g., Filarmonica, Palmera, and any other blade marketed at 7/8" but measured at 15/16"). Please note that the former method is marked as "new" and the latter as "old":

$Screen shot 2010-03-13 at 1.17.55 PM.png

In other words, the following razor was advertised as a 7/8" blade. The reality is that, when measured from top of the spine to the edge of the blade, it is approximately 17/16". However, when measured from the top of the honing bevel or hollowed portion, it's spot on the manufacturer-listed 7/8".

$$_57.jpg

$$_56.jpg

Of course, production variances and consistency potentially introduce additional consideration. Nonetheless, the above explanation seems the most logical. I hope this offers some rebuttal fodder, or in the very least, a point of reference for further discussion.

Edit: Here's a reference for grinds. Opinions tend to vary once the razor gets between half to full hollow.

View attachment 409294

Cheers,
Will

Last edited:
Those are some nice diagrams. Thanks for posting them. Didn't know there was an "old" and a "new" way of measuring. I use the "old" way.

I believe it is common in modernity to measure razors from the top of the spine, not factoring spine height variation from razor to razor. I subscribe to the belief that those who produced 'vintage' razors measured from the top of the honing bevel or the beginning of the hollowed portion, thus reconciling the larger-than-advertised phenomenon we frequently observe (e.g., Filarmonica, Palmera, and any other blade marketed at 7/8" but measured at 15/16"). Please note that the former method is marked as "new" and the latter as "old":

View attachment 409285

In other words, the following razor was advertised as a 7/8" blade. The reality is that, when measured from top of the spine to the edge of the blade, it is approximately 17/16". However, when measured from the top of the honing bevel or hollowed portion, it's spot on the manufacturer-listed 7/8".

View attachment 409297

View attachment 409298

Of course, production variances and consistency potentially introduce additional consideration. Nonetheless, the above explanation seems the most logical. I hope this offers some rebuttal fodder, or in the very least, a point of reference for further discussion.

Edit: Here's a reference for grinds. Opinions tend to vary once the razor gets between half to full hollow.

View attachment 409294

Cheers,
Will

Top Bottom