What's new

Help Rate My First SE Purchase

So I posted here seeking opinions on a first SE for a Gillette NEW lover due to some persistent irritation issues. And with the info I received, I went out treasure hunting today. The only thing I found today was this Eversharp-Schick Injector that I purchased for $5. I believe it's a G8. Can anyone confirm that?

A few people recommended the injector, but I know there are many variations. How does the G-series stack up against the others as far as efficiency and smoothness? I was hoping to pick up some blades and try it out, but apparently none of the CVS/Walgreens/Rite-Aid or any other store near me carries them. So I guess I'll have to order online.

Also, part of the razor is bent right above where it says "insert key." It looks like this could be part of the design of the razor. Is it?

$photo-6.jpg$photo-8.jpg$photo-7.jpg

It's definitely a G. They are excellent razors, some of the best that Eversharp-Schick produced. There is nothing wrong with the slot that accepts the key--it's supposed to be bent like that. You'll see how it works when you inject a blade. I have to order my blades online because there are no stores in my small town that carry them.

For $5 you did real well.

$5.00 ... lots of folks spend that on a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I bought the brush second from the left PLUS the Eversharp in the foreground for about $14.00. So, I figure the razor was free.

$12122920976_edc07523bf.jpg

I'm planning to restore the brush. No clue what I'll do with the razor.

xxvaleria, where do you get blades ... how much do they cost ... how do you feel this compares to a DE shave????

drugstore.com has about the best price I've seen on Schick injector blades. $5 for 7 blades but they do last longer than DE blades for most guys. 7 to 10 shaves seems pretty typical.

you can also find Personna injector blades a little cheaper on Amazon and they're ok. Maybe not quite as good as the Schicks but usable IMO.

Nice find BTW. Injectors do a great job for me. The learning curve is pretty short. I was getting really great shaves with one within a week or two and for a long time, I could get a much better shave with an injector than I could with a DE. Now I can do about the same with either though.

Thanks, guys. I gave it the scrubbing bubbles treatment and it looks much nicer now. I also was curios about blades, so I will check out drugstore.com and see how bad shipping is. I found some on ebay for about the same price but with free shipping. Hopefully I can have some by next week and give it a test run.

Do you happen to have an old blade that was in it? I ask because when you load a new blade without an old one in it, sometimes the new blade will scrape on the blade holder at the corner of the guard. It will ruin the new blade if that happens. If you have an old blade, you can put the injector key in and push the old blade in from the other side. Then load a new one like normal. If you don't have an old one, you may lose your first new one. If it scrapes, don't use it. Just load another.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have an old blade that was in it? I ask because when you load a new blade without an old one in it, sometimes the new blade will scrape on the blade holder at the corner of the guard. It will ruin the new blade if that happens. If you have an old blade, you can put the injector key in and push the old blade in from the other side. Then load a new one like normal. If you don't have an old one, you may lose your first new one. If it scrapes, don't use it. Just load another.

Thanks for that bit of advice. I did keep the blade, but I wouldn't have thought about that until it was too late. :laugh:

$5.00 ... lots of folks spend that on a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I bought the brush second from the left PLUS the Eversharp in the foreground for about $14.00. So, I figure the razor was free.

View attachment 408258

I'm planning to restore the brush. No clue what I'll do with the razor.

xxvaleria, where do you get blades ... how much do they cost ... how do you feel this compares to a DE shave????

I generally get mine from Amazon--just for convenience sake. Occasionally, WalGreens will run a special on their online web page, $5 for a pack of 7 with free shipping on orders more than $25. I usually stock up when I come across that.

By all means, clean up the razor and USE it. I prefer a good injector shave to a DE shave. It's easier, and IMO closer and smoother.

Last edited:
I have one of those razor mine has little different handle the yours got mine on ebay got 2 other razors for $15.00. Need to clean mine up and get some blades for it so I can try it out.

That's a nice little razor. I have the same one and I like it. I use mine to to shave the very top of my stache area next to my nose that's really difficult to get with a DE. The injector gets in that area very nicely without nicking or cutting you. I've never shaved entirely with it but I use it every day for the one spot.

Top Bottom