What's new

First timer for straight razor

Ive recently mysrieriouly recived a straight razor in the mail with my name on it. It came with stops one leather one with a dimond spray on it and one green cant remember the name but with this set up i should be good for a year cuz my razor is shave ready. Giving i dont dull it because of inexperiance. My first try will be tommarow ive whatch videos and read up on it and any additional advice is welcom.
Hear are some pics of the set up
$uploadfromtaptalk1390951785284.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1390951803201.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1390951819255.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1390951847529.jpg
Genco (Geneva Cutlery Co., Geneva, NY) "Lincoln" -- a 5/8" blade with a spike point (which has been). Genco is a well-known and respected manufacturer, which produced a variety of straight razors between 1902-1935, in a wide range of styles, grinds, and sizes. 5/8"

Last edited:
Don't try to shave against the grain your first few times, get the feel of using the razor with the grain. Oh, and stretch that skin tight!

Don't be in a rush, learn all you can about technique. When I got my CJB, I practiced without a blade a few times and went over my technique with my trouble spots. Even after that, my first shave was a little nerve wracking and I did break a sweat. Good thing I did it on a Saturday morning! Make sure you have ample time, and don't be ashamed if you only get your cheeks done and decided to finish up with a safety razor. Go at your own pace, there's always the next day.

Ok today 29 jan 2014 i tried my first shave with a striaght and only did a pass downward on my sideburns and cheeks. And i know what you mean getting a feel for it because you need no peresure on the bladd but need to hold it firm. I got a good shave with no razor burn or blood. Now im going to do that a few times and then try the chin and meantime work on my stropping the blade without dulling it hopefully

Don't be in a rush, learn all you can about technique. When I got my CJB, I practiced without a blade a few times and went over my technique with my trouble spots. Even after that, my first shave was a little nerve wracking and I did break a sweat. Good thing I did it on a Saturday morning! Make sure you have ample time, and don't be ashamed if you only get your cheeks done and decided to finish up with a safety razor. Go at your own pace, there's always the next day.

+1 Couldnt have said it better myself. Its all about patience.

Ok today 29 jan 2014 i tried my first shave with a striaght and only did a pass downward on my sideburns and cheeks. And i know what you mean getting a feel for it because you need no peresure on the bladd but need to hold it firm. I got a good shave with no razor burn or blood. Now im going to do that a few times and then try the chin and meantime work on my stropping the blade without dulling it hopefully

This is exactly what I didn't do. I went full-fledged two pass with a straight my first shave. Terrible idea. Terrible technique.

Glad to see others actually thinking this through unlike me. ;)

good to hear! my first shave was more of me rubbing the blade against my skin and not cutting anything lol.

make sure to keep tracking your progress! i now wished i had kept track of how long it took for me to actually learn to shave well with my straight.

Top Bottom