What's new

Sensor Excel, diffrent manufacturer cartrigdes?

Hi

I was reading thru some old threads here about cartrigde razors and saw that many likes the sensor excel. I went digging thru my closet and sure enough, there it was. Its been so long since i used it i dont even remember it, so i decided im gonna test it out tonight.

My question is, i looked on ebay for cartrigdes and i see there are many diffrent manufacturers that makes blades for these, Personna, supermaxx, dorco, kwik was some of the choices.

I wonder if anyone has tried out some of the non gillette blades for these and if so, how were they? is it best to just stick with the gillettes or are they worth buying? i see the non gillettes tends to be cheaper.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions as usual :wink2:

Anybody who competes with Gillette has to be cheaper because of the name recognition. But Personna makes some very good double as well as single-edged blades, and has been doing it for decades (at least since the 50s). I don't think I would bother with the others.

The only blades I use with my Sensor are the Personna Acti-Flexx. Quite hard to find, but I buy out what I do when a shop has multiple packs. Usually around 5$ or 6$ for a 10 pack. They work a lot better for me then the Gillette's.

I occasionally go back to cartridge razors and found Dorco to work fine for me. Dorco has fast service, they are cheap and I think they are the only cartridge blade makers that make a razor handle that can fit all their different cartridges such as the 2 blade, 4 blade, 6 blade with trimmer blade on the back and 6 blade without a trimmer blade. Just buy the handle that looks nice and feels right and try a sampler pack of cartridges. Dorco's look just like the razors of that Dollar shave club.

4 cartridge packs of the 6 blades with with 4 cartridges in each costs $22.95 and I've used a cartridge for up to 2 weeks.

Might want to check your local Walmart. The one by me has the Sensor Excel 5 pack on clearance for $5. A buck a cart isn't bad. They also had the Wilkinson Tech 4 carts on clearance at $3 a four pack.

Might want to check your local Walmart. The one by me has the Sensor Excel 5 pack on clearance for $5. A buck a cart isn't bad. They also had the Wilkinson Tech 4 carts on clearance at $3 a four pack.

I'm not gonna hold my breath that the Canadian one has it too, but I'm gonna try.

Anybody who competes with Gillette has to be cheaper because of the name recognition. But Personna makes some very good double as well as single-edged blades, and has been doing it for decades (at least since the 50s). I don't think I would bother with the others.

Personna make good Trac II / Atra compatible cartridges. I could imagine that they make Sensor cartridges as well.

I would be interested if Personna makes a Sensor-compatible blade. When I travel with just a carry-on, I bring my Sensor XL for shave duty.

Thank you for finding that! I will definitely be ordering a small pack to try them out - I like that they are much cheaper than true Sensor cartridges. Now if I can find one without the annoying "lubrication strip"....

is it best to just stick with the gillettes or are they worth buying?
Best and worth are always highly subjective. The threads that discuss them should have opinions of those that used them as well. Given the YMMV nature of all this best bet is to try them for yourself. Just as no one DE or blade works best for everyone, no one cartridge works best for everyone.

Can you still buy that razor? And will trac II cartridges work?
Trac II cartridges won't work with a Sensor razor. Not sure if the Sensors are still made but you can certainly find razors that will take Sensor cartridges. Trac II's are also a popular option. They're what I use if I have to travel with carts.

Thanks for all ur great help and info as usual.

Well, gave the old excel with a new gillette cartrigde a try last night, after half the face i was like, heck no this i dont have time for, and went back to my slim adjustable.

Still think im gonna test out some of the other manufacturers just for fun.

How are the trac II's vs excel? i guess some likes them better and others less as usual, since their so cheap, is it worth picking up picking up a razor just to try even tho i already have the excel?

How about the mach 3, do you guys know if theres other manufacturers that make cartrigdes that fit these as well?

Thanks again.

Personally between the 2 I get a better shave with the TracII, as the blades aren't 'springy' and I can choose the angle. Also, I use Personna for these as well. Gillette's are average 18$ for a 10 pack, where Personna is 5$ for a 15 pack.

At one point, I explored all of the available aftermarket blades/cartridges that fit the Sensor handle. Most were 3 bladed. The "Smart Sense" carts from Kmart were better than the "Tri-Flexx" ASR/Personna. The Smart Sense blades were from Korea, so probably a Dorco product.

However, I found that the German manufactured Sensor carts were superior to all the others. I (finally) found them fairly cheap at a dollar store.

A couple of threads from years ago:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/173277-Gillette-Sensor-Razor-Blade-Cartridges

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/105506-Generic-Sensor-Blades

Top Bottom