What's new

New here - Check my wet shaving procedures please!

Hey all,

New guy here - Couldn't find a members introduction forum so I'll do a brief one before I move on to my actual question. I'm John, 24 from St. Louis, and new to wet shaving. Since I gave up the Mach 3 madness for a Merkur safety razor set-up, I've been hooked. I now shave as a hobby, and not as a daily "necessary" task. The whole process is just so relaxing and "manly" to me, and I love it! I was in the Army for 6 years, so I am used to shaving fast and in a horrible, skin wrecking manner. That has all changed (that's why I'm here). I can't grow a full beard, but my chin and mustache comes in VERY thick, with some additional hair on my cheeks and neck (I shave everything now). I first bought just the Merkur razor, and some Merkur and Gillette blades, now I have more things.

- Merkur 33C
- Gillette, Merkur, and Wilkinson blades (Feather blades have been ordered and are OTW).
- Badger Brush, purchased from the Art of Shaving
- Lavender soft shave cream, also from AOS
- Lavender Essential Pre-shave oil, from AOS again.
- Nautica Voyage after shave balm (cream).

I wanted someone to review my process of shaving and maybe offer tips or etc?

1) Hot shower - While I am in the shower, I soak my brush in hot water. I make sure to get my face nice and hot.
2) Dry off, and take the brush out of the hot water, and add small bit of hot water into my soaking dish.
3) I prepare my razor - I change blades every 2-3 shaves.
4) I use my brush to add some warm/hot water to my face, just a small amount. Then I apply my pre-shave oil to my entire shaving area using a few drops of oil with a tiny bit of water, and massage it in well. I then get a bit of water on my brush, get a bit of cream on the end, a bit more water and cream (using a conservative amount), and lather my whole face (I get a great lather this way)
5) Shave time - I use downward strokes at a 30 degree angle, being careful and taking my time to shave my whole face, letting the blade do the work and not applying too much pressure.
6) I do a quick re-lather (If I need first date smooth), and shave across the grain on my chain and mustache to get it closer.
7) Cold water splash, and a styptic pen if I have cuts. I then apply my after-shave balm, just a thin layer, and I make sure to apply it in a way that does not re-heat the face.

All done! Anyway, I'm new to this, so any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :biggrin1:

Last edited:
seems like a pretty common procedure. if you aren't having problems then there is nothing to fix. i'm new as well and my first DE shave was terrible. i used hot water prep, hot lather, and hot water to rinse the blade. the irritation was terrible. today i went back to a cold shave that i was using with my cartridge razor and it was much better. i couldn't get 3 passes because of all the cuts and weepers from yesterday but i'm definitely going in the right direction with the cold shave. i recommend giving it a try at least once.

Couple thoughts:

1. Don't worry about getting your face hot. Hydration (or overhydration) is where it's at. You need 4+ minutes of wetting the beard and shaving quickly thereafter.
2. Try shaving in the shower instead of making it a two step process. Less mess and fuss, and faster without rushing through it. YMMV.

Welcome to b&b!
Your routine sounds good, and if it works, stick with it!
I guess I will be the first enabler in saying, don't be afraid to branch out and try some new products. I will warn you though, it can become a dangerous addiction. I started off saying "well maybe 2 soaps, just to keep things interesting." I have now amassed a hefty collection of soaps, razors, and brushes. It is fun to mix things up though.

Couple thoughts:

1. Don't worry about getting your face hot. Hydration (or overhydration) is where it's at. You need 4+ minutes of wetting the beard and shaving quickly thereafter.
2. Try shaving in the shower instead of making it a two step process. Less mess and fuss, and faster without rushing through it. YMMV.

I guess I should have clarified, hydrated with hot/warm water...Doesn't really work with ice cold, in my opinion. Shaving in the shower is a big no for me, I don't have a mirror big enough and I've never found anything that will stick to my marble....Lol

Top Bottom