What's new

The razors of Kirby Beard and Company

Nice razors but the second one on the right is a #21.

you are right, but after Stephan wrote up one of the best articles on razors ever made, we can give him a break from the error.:wink2:

Attachments

• $RunnersUp.jpg
    $RunnersUp.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 318
I'm no quibbler, but that is a President. It's certainly not a #21.

I'll add that I think the President is under-rated as a shaver, being known mostly for its high price and good looks. For my face and beard, it's the best-shaving TTO of all.

Last edited:
I'm no quibbler, but that is a President. It's certainly not a #21.

I'll add that I think the President is under-rated as a shaver, being known mostly for its high price and good looks. For my face and beard, it's the best-shaving TTO of all.

Stephan, the President was rhodium plated and what u have is a Diplomat which is same as President but in gold plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent article and a very informative post on French DE razors. Thank you to Moshulu for posting it. I'm now on a search to purchase one of the Kirby Beard razors. :thumbup: Excited to add one to my collection, well as soon as I can locate one. :wink2:

Thanks again for the original post, moshulu. I thoroughly enjoyed the read, and I find this thread stirs the fires of RAD within me. I have it bookmarked on my browser.

I have had the tremendous pleasure of shaving with these razors now. I agree with Moshulu's assessment. These are all outstanding shavers, the Kirby's, Leresche 77, and Leresche 51. The prices of these razors are climbing into the unobtainium range, though. In just the last few days two auctions for cased Leresche 77s ended at over $400. I am amazed that TWO 77s appeared in such short order (and there was a third, uncased 77 a few days earlier). These are very uncommon on eBay. And the sale prices floored me.

For those interested in these razors who have not yet had the chance to try one, I believe there is hope. The Leresche open comb. Most of the open comb Leresche razors you see on eBay have the same comb geometry. The comb is set slightly lower than the teeth on either end, resulting in a small blade gap. My experience with this Leresche head geometry is an extremely efficient shave that feels on the mild-moderate side. In other words, this razor design gives a super easy shave that cuts as efficiently as far more aggressive feeling razors. And this is how I'd describe the shave a Kirby and a Leresche 77 provide. Why is this good news? Leresche open combs come up on eBay with some regularity, and for very reasonable prices. Take a careful look at the photos to make sure the razor has the offset comb (most Leresches do). You won't be far from the Kirby experience with one of these Leresche OCs.

I have had the tremendous pleasure of shaving with these razors now. I agree with Moshulu's assessment. These are all outstanding shavers, the Kirby's, Leresche 77, and Leresche 51. The prices of these razors are climbing into the unobtainium range, though. In just the last few days two auctions for cased Leresche 77s ended at over $400. I am amazed that TWO 77s appeared in such short order (and there was a third, uncased 77 a few days earlier). These are very uncommon on eBay. And the sale prices floored me.

For those interested in these razors who have not yet had the chance to try one, I believe there is hope. The Leresche open comb. Most of the open comb Leresche razors you see on eBay have the same comb geometry. The comb is set slightly lower than the teeth on either end, resulting in a small blade gap. My experience with this Leresche head geometry is an extremely efficient shave that feels on the mild-moderate side. In other words, this razor design gives a super easy shave that cuts as efficiently as far more aggressive feeling razors. And this is how I'd describe the shave a Kirby and a Leresche 77 provide. Why is this good news? Leresche open combs come up on eBay with some regularity, and for very reasonable prices. Take a careful look at the photos to make sure the razor has the offset comb (most Leresches do). You won't be far from the Kirby experience with one of these Leresche OCs.

I have a Leresche #51. I do not understand what you mean by offset comb. Can you take a picture and point it out? Thanks.

I have a Leresche #51. I do not understand what you mean by offset comb. Can you take a picture and point it out? Thanks.

Sorry for the low quality photo, but it shows what I'm talking about. Notice the fatter outer teeth on this Leresche head are "higher" than the rest of the comb (the skinnier teeth). This is the offset I'm talking about. The blade edge sits at the level of the outer teeth, and there is a gap between the blade and the skinnier inner teeth.

proxy.php

Also note that I do not have a blade loaded in this razor.

I will echo the others: Fantastic post. Very informative--and great pictures. I have never heard of these and now my interest is most certainly piqued.

This is only one reason why it is good to resurrect an old post.

The prices of these razors are climbing into the unobtainium range, though. In just the last few days two auctions for cased Leresche 77s ended at over $400.
WOW!
I have two of them, one seems to be NOS, the other in excellent conditions. I'm rich!
I have no clue about model#, i'm not a collector..

I found your article fascinating. I will be in France in April for a few weeks and I wondered if you had any guidance on where I might track down an OC Leresche in serviceable condition?

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I've been searching for a kirby beard for two years now. The search continues with more purpose now.

Top Bottom