What's new

S&W to stop selling M&P pistols in California

idiocy....I prefer vintage arms anyway,if you need all kinds of warnings engraved into a beautiful blueing or nickel plating to keep you from killing yourself you don't need to own one...

+1

I agree with many, the only way this will work is to include LEO's in that boycott. I have yet to see if S&W plans on taking that route or not.

idiocy....I prefer vintage arms anyway,if you need all kinds of warnings engraved into a beautiful blueing or nickel plating to keep you from killing yourself you don't need to own one...

Micro stamping is not on the outside of the gun but imprints a code on the primer and shell casing so the bullet can be traced to the gun.

I see microprinting as a way to stop the secondary market in guns. If I sell a gun in a private party transaction, and that gun is used in a crime, with microprinting it would be traced back to me the original owner.

The effect would be to force all private-party transactions to go through an FFL so the transaction could be officially recorded and thus necessitating a background check of the new owner.

I don't know the laws in Ohio or California but in Michigan if I sell a handgun without proper transfer I am a felon. In case you did not read the article or California law it pertains to handguns. I am not a criminal but it only took less than one minute to figure out how to alter a diamond firing pin.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It actually pertains to semiautomatic pistols, since revolvers don't eject casings.

any one else making sort of a mental list of states to avoid living in ?
I have been for several years.

+1

I agree with many, the only way this will work is to include LEO's in that boycott. I have yet to see if S&W plans on taking that route or not.
BINGO if no one will sell to the state (or any other state with similar laws) as well as refusing to honor any warranty or repair any firearms for the state, then the state will eventually have to change their laws. Seeing how criminals by definition will not obey this or any other law, it would be an intelligent move to have the good guys armed. But common sense is not the specialty of politicians.

I don't know the laws in Ohio or California but in Michigan if I sell a handgun without proper transfer I am a felon. In case you did not read the article or California law it pertains to handguns. I am not a criminal but it only took less than one minute to figure out how to alter a diamond firing pin.

The secondary market is huge and legal in many (most?) states which is why early last year there was a push at the federal level to make background checks mandatory for all gun sales which would mean all transactions would have to go through an FFL. It did not pass. I see California's move as a sneaky way to accomplish the same end.

Edited: I just looked and was surprised that handguns in Michigan are required to be registered with the city/county. It's not like that in OH.

MI Firearm registration?Yes (MCL 28.422 - Handguns must be registered with the city chief of police or county sheriff)

Last edited:
I live in WA and commute to CA by car 1-2 times per month. I am legal in WA and OR but when I get to CA it has to go in a locked box with the ammo in a different location. I have taken M&P 357 Sig as well as Glock in 357 Sig. I am petitioning CA to allow me to carry. I have my fingers crossed.

In short CA has dumb Gun Laws.

In Michigan, if you don't have a CPL, you have to go to the county Sheriff's office and get a pistol purchase permit, then transfer the pistol to the new owner. If both parties have a CPL you have to fill out a form, I think it's called a Pistol Sales Record, in quadruplicate. The seller and buyer both get a copy then two copies go to the Sheriff's office for their records. This only applies to pistols. Rifles and shotguns can be purchased from a private party with no paperwork. Fellow Michiganders can correct me if this is incorrect, but this is how it works to the best of my knowledge.

As for the OP's original topic, I think a micro stamping law is completely ridiculous and I hope more gun companies stop selling new guns in California. Maybe that will motivate the citizenry to start taking action to change the stupid gun laws there.

Top Bottom