What's new

The anti-sabbatical AKA the great soap binge of 2014

Ok so I'm going buck wild with soap acquisitions. I much prefer tallow based but willing to try a veggie if it's loaded with something like Shea and lalolin. Looking for recommendations based off what I know I like.

Brands I love ---
strop shoppe. Their special edition with tallow and Lalolin is probably my favorite soap all up.
Stirling soap
DR Harris
the Fat
Tabac
QC is en route
LA shaving soap en route
Panna Crema en route

Scents I love---
Strop Shoppe alpine frost - probably my favorite scent
DRH Windsor and Arlington
GFT violet - second favorite scent
CF Lime
Nancy boy Signature

So based on those brands and those scents, what do you all recommend?

Pre de Provence is a must-try for non-tallow.

As as far as tallow-based soaps, you already love the king (Tabac) but should also give MWF and Mike's naturals a try, they are both excellent.

I would throw MdC, Dr. Dittmar, and Klar Kabinett on the list. Yardley and Ralph Lauren Safari are also awesome if you can find them. While Valobra is technically a croap, I really like it and would recommend the menthol to anyone. Good luck in your search Sir!

I'll second the suggestion for MdC. Other than it, perhaps Barrister & Mann.

You've got a fine top shelf. Be careful to not pollute it!

I really want to get my hands on my Strop Shoppe soap! I think I'll be hoarding some when it's more readily available.

I really wish I would have hopped on the Alpine Frost!

I was happy to find LA Shaving Soap, which is kind of a reverse engineered MdC for a a third the price. One of only a very small few that I've been able to use and be okay without using aftershave balm. I have some QC samples to try out this week. And I have some body soap from Stirling along with a sample of the new rose scent. And pucks of Panna Crema Namaste, Nostalgia, and Vetiver headed here. And I have a chunk of the Cella brick headed here from a BST.

Here's a list of what I've tried so far:
Tabac
Institut Karite
B&M Nocturne, Bay Rum, Dickens, Roam
LA Shaving Sampler
Maxed out on Stirling
Panna Crema Labdano and San Francesco
MWF
Haslinger Schafmilch
Pre de Provence
Provence Sante
Portland General Store Whiskey
Razorock zi' Peppino and Bee's Knees
Mike's Peppermint Rosemary
Modern Williams
Strope Shoppe Blaze, Black Tie, and Baker Street
Vintage William's Tonsorial
Queen Charlotte's sampler

Last edited:
Your rotation is missing some shave sticks...

Arko,
Speick,
Wilkinson Sword,
Lea,
La Toja,
Palmolive,
Valobra...

I think you'll like the QC, PannaCrema, and LASS soaps that you bought. I have soaps from all of these vendors and they are very good.

The Strop Shoppe soaps are excellent, probably my favorite soaps right now. I currently have four of them.

The new RazoRock XXX tallow is excellent and definitely deserves a spot in your rotation. For me this one is up there with the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps. It's not quite as good but it's only $10 and the scent and performance are excellent.

Martin de Candre is excellent but expensive

Le Pere Lucien is a great french soap as well, and much less expensive than MdC.

Barrister & Mann deserves a try, I like the Nocturne scent here.

I don't see Mike's on your list I like the Orange Cedar and Black Pepper, their Barbershop is very similar in scent to the Strop Shoppe Barbershop scent which I really enjoy.

L'Occitane Cade soap is really nice. Performance is not excellent like the Strop Shoppe or RazoRock XXX tallow soaps, but is still very good. The scent is amazing though. Clean and fresh like the Arlington or Nancy Boy type scents.

I really like the scent of the TOBS Jermyn St soap but haven't ordered it myself yet as I'm in the sabbatical. It's somewhat similar to a DR Harris Arlington scent.

I love this thread! It is about what real man should do.
I have had enough of all this sabbatical cr@p going on here. :lol:

jddssc121, please keep us posted on your acquisition! With pictures if possible.

I really want to get my hands on my Strop Shoppe soap! I think I'll be hoarding some when it's more readily available.

I really wish I would have hopped on the Alpine Frost!

shoot them a mail and let them know you want some. They're deciding if they should bring it back or not, so every little bit of encouragement helps :)

Looking good Cory! I don't see PPF on your list. BTW...I am loving Strop Shoppe

I was happy to find LA Shaving Soap, which is kind of a reverse engineered MdC for a a third the price. One of only a very small few that I've been able to use and be okay without using aftershave balm. I have some QC samples to try out this week. And I have some body soap from Stirling along with a sample of the new rose scent. And pucks of Panna Crema Namaste, Nostalgia, and Vetiver headed here. And I have a chunk of the Cella brick headed here from a BST.

Here's a list of what I've tried so far:
Tabac
Institut Karite
B&M Nocturne, Bay Rum, Dickens, Roam
LA Shaving Sampler
Maxed out on Stirling
Panna Crema Labdano and San Francesco
MWF
Haslinger Schafmilch
Pre de Provence
Provence Sante
Portland General Store Whiskey
Razorock zi' Peppino and Bee's Knees
Mike's Peppermint Rosemary
Modern Williams
Strope Shoppe Blaze, Black Tie, and Baker Street
Vintage William's Tonsorial
Queen Charlotte's sampler

I love this thread! It is about what real man should do.
I have had enough of all this sabbatical cr@p going on here. :lol:

jddssc121, please keep us posted on your acquisition! With pictures if possible.

thank you sir

Here are a few pics (i'm calling CF lime a "soft soap" because I can't give it up :) )

$more soap.jpg$soap.jpg

Ok so I'm going buck wild with soap acquisitions. I much prefer tallow based but willing to try a veggie if it's loaded with something like Shea and lalolin. Looking for recommendations based off what I know I like.

Brands I love ---
strop shoppe. Their special edition with tallow and Lalolin is probably my favorite soap all up.
Stirling soap
DR Harris
the Fat
Tabac
QC is en route
LA shaving soap en route
Panna Crema en route

Scents I love---
Strop Shoppe alpine frost - probably my favorite scent
DRH Windsor and Arlington
GFT violet - second favorite scent
CF Lime
Nancy boy Signature

So based on those brands and those scents, what do you all recommend?
When you say anti-sabbatical you sir are speaking a language I understand!

I think this is an excellent thread!! As a participant in the 2014 Shenanigans Sabbatical, I can now live vicariously through this thread!!

ok, based on the advice so far I've just ordered some Mike's. Lemongrass & Eucalyptus(full), Lilly of the Valley(sample) and Peppermint/Rosemary (sample).

Now off to shop MDC soap :). Where's the best place to buy it?

Keep them coming!:biggrin1:

Top Bottom