What's new

NEW vs Old type

Is there any advantage to the NEW ? The curved plate of the old-type looks pretty cool :)

Try shaving with them and you'll see!
The NEW is the very pinnacle of Gillette's open comb designs, beautifully smooth and with enough aggression to make it efficient, and the geometry makes it easy to find the correct angles.
With the Old Type, the shave is not as smooth and the angle needs more concentration but it has a rawer and more direct feel which some prefer.
YMMV - I found the US Old Type to be too mild and the Canadian Old Type to be fierce but the British NEW is just right.

But seriously, just try them out and you'll find what suits you.

Only you can give yourself the correct answer, as preferences between razors can be a very subjective thing.

I like the Gillette Old Type (1903 to 1920). They look classic and the give a close and comfortable shave.

But I like the Gillette Short Comb NEW and the Gillette Long Comb NEW (both 1930 to 1941) even better. They give outstanding shaves that are close and comfortable. My #1 favorite would be the Short Comb NEW, but only by a slight preference.

Buy both! With a little patience both can be had for under $20, even $15 each from eBay. (I paid $13 6 months ago for an old type with a bad handle, a good blade bank, and straight teeth shipped)

My experience is that a new is easier, and can be less forgiving in the American long comb form. The old type has a smaller effective angle, can deliver a great shave, but a little more attention is required to maintain the angle.

You'll need to try them both for yourself. Personally, I prefer the old type. YMMV but I find that I get better feedback with the old type.
With the New I seem to get more razor burn. The Old type really lets you know when your angle is off.

The NEW is the very pinnacle of Gillette's open comb designs, beautifully smooth and with enough aggression to make it efficient, and the geometry makes it easy to find the correct angles.
With the Old Type, the shave is not as smooth and the angle needs more concentration but it has a rawer and more direct feel which some prefer.
YMMV - I found the US Old Type to be too mild and the Canadian Old Type to be fierce but the British NEW is just right.

+1
I consider the NEW to be the pinnacle of Gillette engineering, period (not just OC designs). Long comb, short comb, deluxe, British LC, etc., etc. They are all good.

I like both the New and the Old type but prefer the New LC and OC. The SC is a bit less agggressive but perhaps not as efficient as the LC. Nevertheless, my rotation includes News and slants.

Thanks. Is this because the blade chatters ?

You will feel the blade more with the Old Type. There is a different feel when the blade starts to scrape skin vs when it is cutting the whiskers. I do find that my Single Ring Old Type is loud but that seems to be because of the hollow handle. My Ball End Old type is much quieter.

I have a LC New-Style and the SC Old-Style. Both are great razors, but I find the New to be more aggressive, and works best with certain blades, while the Old gives good shaves with all blades. Again the famous line YMMV.

Both are in my three razor rotation along with a Joris head. I use longer handles on the Gillettes and a heavier handle on the Joris.

My new is an LC. Krona Kruiser is looking for an SC for me. The New is terrific, but I am newly in love with the Old. It feels more aggressive than the Joris, and you really have to be in the moment to avoid losing blood. Two days ago, I had the best and longest-lasting shave ever with the Old and my Pendragon Handle. Yesterday, my tremors were bad. I didn't bleed, but after one pass, I had to go to my New to finish. You know what? Get both, and get Krona to replate them. :thumbup::001_wub::biggrin1:

Only you can give yourself the correct answer, as preferences between razors can be a very subjective thing.

I like the Gillette Old Type (1903 to 1920). They look classic and the give a close and comfortable shave.

But I like the Gillette Short Comb NEW and the Gillette Long Comb NEW (both 1930 to 1941) even better. They give outstanding shaves that are close and comfortable. My #1 favorite would be the Short Comb NEW, but only by a slight preference.

Buy both! With a little patience both can be had for under $20, even $15 each from eBay. (I paid $13 6 months ago for an old type with a bad handle, a good blade bank, and straight teeth shipped)

My experience is that a new is easier, and can be less forgiving in the American long comb form. The old type has a smaller effective angle, can deliver a great shave, but a little more attention is required to maintain the angle.

+1
I consider the NEW to be the pinnacle of Gillette engineering, period (not just OC designs). Long comb, short comb, deluxe, British LC, etc., etc. They are all good.

I like both the New and the Old type but prefer the New LC and OC. The SC is a bit less agggressive but perhaps not as efficient as the LC. Nevertheless, my rotation includes News and slants.

Both are in my three razor rotation along with a Joris head. I use longer handles on the Gillettes and a heavier handle on the Joris.

My new is an LC. Krona Kruiser is looking for an SC for me. The New is terrific, but I am newly in love with the Old. It feels more aggressive than the Joris, and you really have to be in the moment to avoid losing blood. Two days ago, I had the best and longest-lasting shave ever with the Old and my Pendragon Handle. Yesterday, my tremors were bad. I didn't bleed, but after one pass, I had to go to my New to finish. You know what? Get both, and get Krona to replate them. :thumbup::001_wub::biggrin1:

+6

I have an old type, NEW SC, and a NEW LC. I prefer the NEW SC of the three. The old type was pretty aggressive and not real smooth for me.

My personal hierarchy of open combs is British open comb > short comb > US long comb/Goodwill based off of New > Old Type/Goodwill based off of Old Type > modern open combs. My 2 cents.

Hi,

Another thing to consider is the original thin head Old Type vs. the thicker head variant that came later.....

Just get one of each. You really need to in order to pick the one *you* like best... :p

Stan

Hi,

Another thing to consider is the original thin head Old Type vs. the thicker head variant that came later.....

Just get one of each. You really need to in order to pick the one *you* like best... :p

Stan

Let's talk about thick cap vs. thin cap in the Old type Gillettes. My impression is the thicker cap is the superior shaver, but I'm not sure why? I suggest the thicker head gives more stability and mass, but beyond that . . . I don't know.

Let's talk about thick cap vs. thin cap in the Old type Gillettes. My impression is the thicker cap is the superior shaver, but I'm not sure why? I suggest the thicker head gives more stability and mass, but beyond that . . . I don't know.

I have a thin cap single ring and a thick cap ball end old type. They definitely shave differently. I use a shallower angle with the thin cap (handle further from the face) then I do with the thick cap. It's interesting how things change. I used to think the thick cap was milder but now I find the thick cap to be somewhat rough well I think the thin cap rivals the New in terms of smoothness.

Top Bottom