What's new

Choosing between SS razors - Above the tie vs Feather vs any others

Hi ,

Have found myself in the fortunate position of having a little more disposable income this month :) and would really like to get a stainless steel razor whilst I can afford to , I am currently trying to decide between Above the tie , Feather ASD2 or trying to get hold of a used Ikon S3S/H2O/Modern. Pils, Tradere and Weber are all unavailable in the uk so I am not considering those razors. Mild or Medium are both fine , not sure what to go for, any suggestions or pics of your gorgeous stainless steel razors appreciated to help me decide , thanks

I'm in a similar position to you, minus the disposable income :( I owned a feather AS-D1 a while back. I had a relatively minor issue with the machining of my one. At such a price, I expected better and ended up having it fixed and selling it on. I believe the AS-D2 is supposed to address such issues. Shave-wise I found that it caused me quite a few ingrowns, but I'm happy to admit that was probably because I pressed too hard to compensate for its mildness, rather than working on my technique. The finish on the feather is amazing, and by far the most appealing finish of any of the stainless models that I've seen. If you think you can get good results from one of the mildest razors out there, then I would probably go for the feather. I really like the look of the PILS, but there's not a lot of info about it out there. The ATT system also looks good, but pricey if you get lured into one of the sets. In the end, I don't think any stainless model that is spoken of around here would turn out to be a dud. I would just read about how they compare to the razors that you currently own and enjoy.

Good luck.

I'm in a similar position to you, minus the disposable income :( I owned a feather AS-D1 a while back. I had a relatively minor issue with the machining of my one. At such a price, I expected better and ended up having it fixed and selling it on. I believe the AS-D2 is supposed to address such issues. Shave-wise I found that it caused me quite a few ingrowns, but I'm happy to admit that was probably because I pressed too hard to compensate for its mildness, rather than working on my technique. The finish on the feather is amazing, and by far the most appealing finish of any of the stainless models that I've seen. If you think you can get good results from one of the mildest razors out there, then I would probably go for the feather. I really like the look of the PILS, but there's not a lot of info about it out there. The ATT system also looks good, but pricey if you get lured into one of the sets. In the end, I don't think any stainless model that is spoken of around here would turn out to be a dud. I would just read about how they compare to the razors that you currently own and enjoy.

Good luck.
Thanks , am leaning towards the Feather at the moment as it does look immaculately finished and very well made, I do kind of want one of the old Ikons also so I may look for one

My recommendation would be ATT simply because they have a 30 day money back guarantee, so you're not really investing anything.

The ATT systems are not cheap by any means, but they certainly afford great flexibility with the two handles and six interchangeable plates. The craftsmanship is superlative. The 30 day guarantee is comforting for the new buyer. I have two plates for my Kronos handle and someday they will be passed on to my heirs. It's that nice.

Oh, and they also shave well.

have gone with the Feather ASD2 , looks immaculately finished and very well made , hopefully I will get on well with it

I have both the AS-D2 and the ATT Kronos M2. As stated by others, they are both very well-made razors. They behave very differently though. The AS-D2 is an extremely mild and well behaved razor that loves feather blades. The ATT M2 is much more aggressive and probably falls on the medium side of mild (or is that mild side of medium). The advantage of going with the ATT system, as others have commented, is that you can add a different plate or handle at minimum additional investment. Frankly, I like them both so much that, despite any similarities, I don't plan on eliminating either from the bathroom. Good luck in making your choice.

In my drawer are an AS-D2, a Ikon SB, Weber PH and ATT M1. I was going to offer some observations. However, you've moved forward with the AS-D@. Congrats. Its a fine razor.
And, if for some reason you don't get on with it, they sell pretty well on BST.

I would endorse the ATT M2. That said, the Weber (if you can get your hands on one) would be an exceptional purchase. For the money the best SS razor, IMO.

Agree with the Weber being the best value SS razor, but it wasnt for me.

I can recommend the Ikon 5 piece though. The OC shaves better than the Weber IHMO.

I can't comment on the others as I have not tried them.

I am hoping that one day soon, someone at Merkur decides to make an SS Progress.

Wouldn't that be something?

In my drawer are an AS-D2, a Ikon SB, Weber PH and ATT M1. I was going to offer some observations. However, you've moved forward with the AS-D@. Congrats. Its a fine razor.
And, if for some reason you don't get on with it, they sell pretty well on BST.

I am interested in your observations!

I appreciate the comments in this thread, because, like two other members have been reading Lots about the SS and wanting to make a move (me, with some Christmas money :001_tt2:)......

Anyway, I haven't decided on the Feather or ATT at the moment......I have held them both, but, haven't shaved with them....

Observations on Stainless razors. Please understand that these are my opinions. YMMV, etc.

AS-D2. Superb finish. There is NOTHING to fault in the finish. It shaves smoooth. Too smooth for me. I've stated in a few other posts that its like driving a Lexus. It moves on the road with silence and smoothness. But you really don't feel like you're driving! I like some feedback in my razors. So, I'm going to pass on the Feather.

ATT M1. True American craftsmanship. It's machined from a billet of stainless steel. Nothing wuss about this razor. It's solid. I've mounted it on a Weber handle that has real grip. It's a fine shaver. However...the blade pins are too short in my opinion. They hold the blade precisely as Stan as confirmed. But it takes just a bit too much fiddling to mount as blade. Last beef. The blade gap is pretty close. Soap and whiskers can build up a little too quickly. The open comb (which I haven't tried) may be the solution.

IKON Straight Bar. Though its made overseas using a sintered metal process. its well crafted. The finish is excellent. And the cap fully covers the blade ends, which I like. Its compact and, coupled with the bulldog handle, its quite satisfying to use. Unlike the Feather, I can feel the shaving happening. It's a tiny bit harsh, but still, I think, a keeper.

And the Weber. I don't think anyone can go wrong with one of these. Its smooth. Loads easily. Handles well. For the money, an excellent stainless razor. Another keeper. I won't be letting mine go.

So, those are my observations. Keep the Weber. Probably keep the Ikon. Maybe try the OC ATT. Lose the Feather.

Observations on Stainless razors. Please understand that these are my opinions. YMMV, etc.

<snip>

ATT M1. True American craftsmanship. It's machined from a billet of stainless steel. Nothing wuss about this razor. It's solid. I've mounted it on a Weber handle that has real grip. It's a fine shaver. However...the blade pins are too short in my opinion. They hold the blade precisely as Stan as confirmed. But it takes just a bit too much fiddling to mount as blade. Last beef. The blade gap is pretty close. Soap and whiskers can build up a little too quickly. The open comb (which I haven't tried) may be the solution.

<snip>

The pins: I agree that it takes just a tad more effort than I expected to mount the blade. I suspect that there was an engineering compromise here. If a compromise is involved, Stan made the right choice: pay for it mounting the blade and enjoy the payoff of an excellent shave. We spend a fraction of time mounting a blade in comparison to the time we spend shaving.

I've also found that the blade mounts quicker if I put a towel between my finger and the metal while I carefully align the blade to the razor cap and base.

In my experience, the M1 safety bar did not require more rinsing than the R1 blade, however.

I've actually put my safety bar base plates in storage three or four weeks ago.

I'm strictly open comb for now, but I love the ability to change my mind both on a moment's notice and without adjusting my technique.

-Jon

The ATT M1 has been my daily driver for 6 weeks now. I have never had any trouble with the pins or with mounting the blade. I usually have the cap resting upside down on a dry washcloth. I place the blade on the cap, then I place the base plate. Finally I put the handle down on it and screw the handle down, while the whole razor stays upside down. I only pick it up once I tighten it.

I started doing this when I got my Weber PH back in September or October, because the exposed blade ends made me nervous.

Perhaps this might work for those having issues mounting the blade. Perhaps not, ymmv.

The ATT M1 has been my daily driver for 6 weeks now. I have never had any trouble with the pins or with mounting the blade. I usually have the cap resting upside down on a dry washcloth. I place the blade on the cap, then I place the base plate. Finally I put the handle down on it and screw the handle down, while the whole razor stays upside down. I only pick it up once I tighten it.

I started doing this when I got my Weber PH back in September or October, because the exposed blade ends made me nervous.

Perhaps this might work for those having issues mounting the blade. Perhaps not, ymmv.

+1. This is how I load and it works best for me as well.

Top Bottom