What's new

HELP: Need a cheap but good entry level badger brush

Looking for a cheap (under $20) BUT GOOD entry level badger brush for a friend of mine. Ideally i'd love a Super Badger, but I know that's asking alot.

Any recommendations?

Under $20 for a silver tip is gonna be difficult to swing, but keep your eye out on the BST. Amazing deals do happen. My first badger hair was a tweezerman, and while they get mixed reviews I never really had any issues out of mine. Good luck in your search Sir!

Oh, and there is always www.whippeddog.com, you can get a pure badger for less than $20 and a smaller silver tip for just a little more. They might not be the prettiest brushes, but they're a cheap, effective way to try one out.

If by "badger", you mean "boar", then yes, there are plenty of good options at that price point!

I don't mean to come off as a *****, but that kind of value really doesn't exist on the market unless you're patient and are lucky enough to score a smoking deal. You'd have to probably ~double that to get in the ballpark of a used Simpsons or a Whipped Dog. But, maybe Rudy Vey can swing something....worth a shot!

However, with that budget point, you can easily pick up a high-quality boar brush from Semogue, Omega, or Proraso. Maybe even two!

If by "badger", you mean "boar", then yes, there are plenty of good options at that price point!

I don't mean to come off as a *****, but that kind of value really doesn't exist on the market unless you're patient and are lucky enough to score a smoking deal. You'd have to probably ~double that to get in the ballpark of a used Simpsons or a Whipped Dog. But, maybe Rudy Vey can swing something....worth a shot!

However, with that budget point, you can easily pick up a high-quality boar brush from Semogue, Omega, or Proraso. Maybe even two!

Agree with most of this.

Especially the part which says you will need more money to score a good badger brush or that you should look for a boar.

Looking for a cheap (under $20) BUT GOOD entry level badger brush for a friend of mine. Ideally i'd love a Super Badger, but I know that's asking alot.

Any recommendations?
I honestly love my WSP 2 band Prince/ silvertip ....59 bucks for luxury tip brush is a good deal.

The Golden Nib knots and brushes are highly rated. They supply vendors and hobbyists in the know. I've also been curious about low cost, high value badger brushes, and am frequently directed to TGN by many, particularly stewards and hobbyists, ie those who know. With just a little bit of guidance, you could put together your own knot, handle, and glue them, and have a brush which would sell from hobbyists here for double or triple what you'd pay for it, and would probably be the quality to match something selling for even higher multiples.

The lowest cost silvertip badger brush I have read about would be Whipped Dog. If you want to spend less than that, I'd echo that you're in boar range (Omega or Semogue would be great choices), or a cheaper synthetic (which I would avoid, personally).

Vulfix 514b Hyde Park. Or Vulfix 404 boar/badger mix. I buy my brushes from Diamond Edge in Brighton, UK. 514b = £18.00 and 404 = £11.00. Shipping extra of course. Their website is advertising a Super Badger brush for £35.00.

In that price range I would recommend you to get a GOOD boar such as a Semogue or an Omega. It's a much better option than a cheap badger in my opinion.

Save the cash antry for the 60 dollar range, a good starter... simpson colonel, try to do some more research to see what you need, try a van der hagen boar from the pharmacy and take it from there.

You can get a 20-24mm knot with handle all put together from WD for $22 for a Pure black or $30 for a silvertip. Really an amazing deal (don't know much about his Pure Blacks, assume their good, but the silvertips are known to be good). Also, although maybe not the prettiest of brushes, you have a decent choice in knot size, loft, and color of handle. Ex: http://whippeddog.com/products/view/24mm-handle-b1014c

PS also just noticed that if you want a little cheaper, Black can be had for $20 or silvertip for $27 with a 20mm knot with either of the two bamboo handles in the bottom right of this page: http://whippeddog.com/products/find/brushes-knots/page:2

Remember that good and cheap rarely ever go together, but in this case you can get a Vintage Blade badger brush for for just under $40.00, IMHO these are the best brush for this kind of money.

I realize that doesn't exactly fall under the $20.00 mark but realistically unless you find a nice used brush, you probably wouldn't want a badger brush that costs less than $20.00.

Now if you would consider a boar brush then your options open up greatly! For that kind of money I would suggest the iconic Semogue 1305 brush, you can pick it up from any of the vendors that sell Semogue brushes.

Good luck!

Justin

Under $20 for a silver tip is gonna be difficult to swing, but keep your eye out on the BST. Amazing deals do happen. My first badger hair was a tweezerman, and while they get mixed reviews I never really had any issues out of mine. Good luck in your search Sir!
+1 on the BST

If $20 is your budget, barring a screaming deal on the BST, I'd go with one of the recommended boar brushes. I don't own a boar brush, but there are plenty of guys here that can steer you in the right direction (que the badger-haters in 3...2...1...BANG!).
:lol::lol::lol:

Try an Omega 48 from Shoe Box Shave, or a Semogue from Italian Barber. These Boars are great, have a nice softness to them too. Lots of info here on how to break in a boar

Right now on Amazon you can probably get a few of the Parkers for about $25 and I just got a Edwin Jagger Best Badger for $39. The Tweezerman is a very serviceable brush for under $20 as well. I also have a whipped dog which ran me about $35 Shipped for a silvertip and it is a very good brush and hard to beat for the money. Larry is a great guy

Top Bottom