What's new

Vintage steel stropping, paste or honing?

Hi,I got my first straight today for my birthday today it's a Thomas Turner 5/8". I paid for it to be honed by the guy that reconditioned it though am not sure how good a job has been done this being my first straight. I stropped it before shaving but I found that it tugged and did not shave at all well so I finished off with my safety razor. I'm not sure what to do with it from here advice welcomed.
proxy.php

Nice razor! I would have it honed by someone on this forum. I don't know who but I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will make it sharp enough that it won't pull or tug your hairs. Someone will probably point you in the right direction on this thread. Good luck

Please be advised that a conventional straight razor takes time to learn. Your shaves in the begining will be sub-par and the "tugging " you describe is common amoungst first timers. Take your time shaving and let both your face and your hands learn the straight razor technique. Watch this video to see an experienced shaver show us how it's done.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/136249-Chimensch-s-30th-Anniversary-Shaving-Video
I accept that there is a steep learning curve still I'm sure the blade is not sharp enough. After the WTG pass it hadn't removed much if any hair it didn't just tug and pull the blade stopped and skipped across my skin.

I accept that there is a steep learning curve still I'm sure the blade is not sharp enough. After the WTG pass it hadn't removed much if any hair it didn't just tug and pull the blade stopped and skipped across my skin.

Try the old hht. If the hair pops your good. If it drags then your probably right. You can try to strop it on a pasted strop. If it was honed by a reputable member, then you should be ok.

Top Bottom