What's new

Looking for a second straight

I've got the bug, and I'm going to need more so might as well start early right? My number one will always be my first, as it's got sentimental value as well as being a quality razor. That being said I want to go one of two ways with my fledgling collection, and they are as follows: first I can be the Puritan and collect more of what I've got already (fili 13) or at least variations of that meaning stick to filarmonica. Or I can branch out to other brands and go from there. I need help though with which option to take, and if I am to go with the second option I would like opinions on what razors you might recommend. I had an idea for a seven day around the world set. This would have razors of different makes and countries. So by all means take it international! From there it's shopping time. Thanks in advance and I'll be keeping up with your responses so check back!

I like (and more or less follow) the idea of different razors from different countries...that said, I have two razors Spain and they are both Fili's. I would definitely try a 14 Fili if you like the 13. I would say that you shouldn't feel bad about having a 2 or 3 week set:biggrin1:

Cheers

You only live once - try something else that is different. You might like it! (I have a Filarmonica 13, and ended up going with a wedgier Heljestrand) and it is a completely different experience, and well worth trying. I actually can pick and choose between a smaller wedgier blade when I want to mow through some tough growth, or my Fili when I want an exceptionally smooth shave. See what you like by trying different things. Enjoy!

Ahh, go for a 365 set.

I do love my filis-all of them
Yeah that would be something, but I don't think the wife would approve. Maybe over time but I'm looking more at now. Ok so I've heard good things about obviously Solingen blades, so that's Germany. And Eskilstuna from Sweden. (An antique shop by me has a J.A Hellburg for 45$) my fili has Spain covered. But what other brands/countries have good stuff. Theirs Issard for France? And as for the Solingen/Eskilstuna razors which brands and models do you gentlemen favor? Keep it coming.

England: Wade and Butcher, Fredrick Reynolds, he'll,there are a serious number of quality names here.

US: Hart, Genco, Simmons Hardware (Keen Kutter) it is a German grind, but great blades. Union. Torrey

Japanese blades are all good, western, western ground Kamisori, kamisori.

Gold Dollar that you dress up covers China

Argentina?

French: thiers issard of course but I find the Le grelot and fontenille even better.
Frameback from Leresche are also very good.
peroux cognet also has some sought after models like the jaguar and talisman

What kind of budget are you playing with? I think that's the first thing you need to ask yourself.

After that you can really start seriously looking at what to get. Until then I think our help isn't very helpful :)

Great advice on the French makers. As for budget I'm in the couple hundred dollars per razor. Or hopefully less, if I could keep it around or under a hundred that would be optimal. Over time obviously, I'm not buying six razors at once. But still if I make a list I could start looking for the deals. Or post some WTBs... Unless any of you have something your wanting to part with :)

So far I think I might have a rough idea of what I want for a seven day around the world set. Here's what I'm thinking so far
Filarmonica 13 doble temple- Spain
Dubl Duck goldedge/wonderedge- Germany
CV Heljestrand mk 31/32/33- Sweden
Wade and Butcher- England
Le Grelot- France
Genco- USA
and I haven't decided on number 7... Need help on this one.

That's the second mention of le grelot. Anyone know of a good place to find some for sale?
You can occasionally find some new from their last batch of blanks that was purchased by Thiers Issard when LeGrelot stopped its activity. They are getting rare and tend to get pricey.
Vintages are scarce in the US but still common in France. I have quite a few that some friends brought back in December, I can take a look at my project stash this afternoon.

Great razors. I have 3 in my rotations.

Yeah you don't have Japan covered in your set, I really enjoy my Toyo Scheonburgs as well as my King Pelican #14, Iwasaki stuff is available but insanely expensive, Parker makes straights and so does feather, Hayashi Diamond is another favorable brand that gains lots of attention (though I don't have one) etc.

Honestly I've tried a million sheffield/german razors, a Filarmonica or two as well as my fair share of grelots (two nos vintage framebacks among those) and new and vintage TI AND I prefer my Japanese razors hands down.

Why? I'm not really sure. They seem more 'refined' than the rest of the blades for some reason.

You can occasionally find some new from their last batch of blanks that was purchased by Thiers Issard when LeGrelot stopped its activity. They are getting rare and tend to get pricey.
Vintages are scarce in the US but still common in France. I have quite a few that some friends brought back in December, I can take a look at my project stash this afternoon.

Great razors. I have 3 in my rotations.
good to know. Keep me posted!

Japan an will most likely round out my seventh razor slot. Now to see what I like! Haha it's going to be fun.

Top Bottom