What's new

Why the need for multiple brushes?

I have seen some pictures where some embers here have multiple brushes. I am curious why? I have 1 brush. I know i am Green in this world and on this site, so please don't think i am being sarcastic. I truly have some curiosity for this..

Different brushes give different experiences. Badger, boar, horse, synthetic. Even within each of those types there are differences. It's the same for all the hardware and software choices in wetshaving. Variety is fun.

Figure there are 4 different brush categories: Badger, Boar, Horse, and Synthetic. Then you figure there are multiple kinds of Badger hair. Couple that with the size of a knot or shape of the fan having an effect on the feel of the brush on the face, then of course all the variety in handle shapes and sizes. How's a guy to choose just one?

I think the explanation many guys give the LOTH though is, "each one takes at least a week to dry fully." (hopefully the SWMBO's don't catch on).

I understand now, IM a gun guy, i have 63 weapons, many are the same caliber, just different models and brands.. Same idea then..

I just wasn't sure if i was supposed to have more than 1 for soap vs cream. etc..

No need but WANT on the other hand...those that have several like variety like with many different soaps and creams.

I have three brushes but will probably get more in the future. It's more about the different loft and backbone for different uses for me.

I have a boar that was my starter brush which I gave to my wife and then I have a brush for face lathering that is shorter and has more backbone so it can handle loading with soap and swirling on my face while my bowl lathering brush is much larger and softer since it needs to go into the bowl without getting my fingers all lathery and it holds more water.

I have two that I regularly use, and one travel brush. I picked up the second brush (a gift for my birthday from my girlfriend) to give my other a break. One is Pure Badger, and my gift is a Silvertip with a chrome handle. Both are Parker, and both are amazing!

The travel brush is Pure Badger, and I found it on Amazon. If anyone would like to know which brushes I have, let me know.

Different brushes handle differently. Some are better for creams, some are better for soaps. Some would say certain brushes work better for bowl lathering while others do better for face lathering. The different qualities of badger hair all feel and perform a little differently. Boar hair is distinctive and his its own uniqueness that some really enjoy. It goes on and on.

I have a few brushes, some are more comfortable for face lathering than others. I do like to let them dry out for a couple of days between uses. I tell myself this helps them last longer, less chance of mould etc.:001_rolle

I also have a synthetic brush for travel, because during travel days it will spend time packed away damp. The synthetic drys quickly, and is more mould resistant.

Pepin

All symptoms of the Acquisition Disorder. One of my shavingbrushes recently and unexpectedly expired. I bought 3 to replace it.

If you don't mind me adding, brushes and accessories are like women with shoes. How many black patent leather heels could one possible need? flat for day, kitten heel for a change, the whole heel size thing 2",3",4", strappy back, cut out, lace up and on and on if we're talking about price points too :001_tt1: we/I love em. I think it's the same as brushes. Each one has its merits, some for sentimental reasons and others just because you are treating yourself.

"Why so many brushes?"

- Because we can!
- Variety/Fun
- Different brushes pair well with soaps/creams

P.S. Tallyshave.... Yes, I "need" my 15+ razors, 7-8 brushes, 4 mugs, 15+ soaps, sticks, creams. I need everything I have!

Personally I like the variety of brush offerings. Each brush whether it is a boar, badger horse hair, or synthetic each one lathers differently. On the plus side a rotation of brushes allows each brush to dry thoroughly before the next lather.

I just wasn't sure if i was supposed to have more than 1 for soap vs cream. etc..
You're supposed to have whatever works for you. I have just one brush that I use daily. I have another for travel and that's only because it was my former daily and it's the only one that fits in my travel tube. Otherwise I'd just have one.

AD's may be popular topics but don't confuse popular with "everyone does". Plenty of people don't collect or rotate.

I understand now, IM a gun guy, i have 63 weapons, many are the same caliber, just different models and brands.. Same idea then..

You're "supposed" to have whatever floats your boat... err... lathers your preferred software. If it takes 10 brushes to do that... then have at thee! (Hint, it'll probably only take one though finding the right one can be lots of fun).

If you don't mind me adding, brushes and accessories are like women with shoes. How many black patent leather heels could one possible need? flat for day, kitten heel for a change, the whole heel size thing 2",3",4", strappy back, cut out, lace up and on and on if we're talking about price points too :001_tt1: we/I love em. I think it's the same as brushes. Each one has its merits, some for sentimental reasons and others just because you are treating yourself.

Anyone else find it a bit odd that Klovgren knows so much about women's shoes? Didn't know Al Bundy was a member here! :lol:

Top Bottom