What's new

Snuff Journey of the Rat

Up till last night, I had enjoyed almost all the other ways the brown leaf has to be enjoyed. Pipes, cigars, dip/chew, snus (both American and Swedish varieties), hookahs, and of course, cigarettes. Snuff never really attracted my interest over all for a long time. Then of course I started seeing mention and reviews and such on here, and it became mildly amusing. I saw a documentary on youtube about the history of tobacco use and a small segment on snuff, which also added to the interest. I finally decided I'd get around to trying this form as well, and even perused one of the websites that specializes in selling it once, and got overwhelmed at the choices... much like looking through pipe tobacco offerings for a beginner can be.

Last night I picked up a can while I was on the monthly run for cigarettes at the shop the other half goes to for her smokes (I'm trying to cut the cigs out of my personal routine), and after a brief thread asking for some advice, I decided to start this one for tracking impressions and experiences starting from a complete newbie to snuff.

I fully expect this thread to go zombie for periods of time then suddenly have a post as I picked up another new type or had an interesting experience, etc.. So, feel free to play along, lurk, or simply ignore as needed. lol

I wanted to keep this a separate post from the thread starter...

I picked up the can of American Snuff Co.'s Peach, and after the couple intro hints and tips from the other thread, I popped it open last night and gave it a go. My first try I put a pretty small pinch in the webbing of my thumb and index finger, and gave it a gentle sniff. Beginners luck, I managed to not inhale too hard, since I've been told if I do and get it on the back of the throat and such, I'll definitely know it, and I had no real bad experience with it.

There was some slight warming to a almost but not quite burning sensation, and I caught some hints of the tobacco scent in it. I didn't detect any sweetness really, or any peach... I expected much more peach odor when I initially opened the can, and even then I didn't really get any. Slight bit of eyes watering, and a bit of a desire to sneeze (both were expected sensations). Resisted the sneezing, got a bit of a runny nose (also expected), but then I also noticed I could breathe clearer through my nose. I have a bit of a cold coming on, and this cleared up the slight stuffiness I was having.

This morning before going out to start the car to warm it up and take out the garbage, I had a pinch, thinking the warming sensation would be nice in the cold air, and I was right, it definitely was. Another good experience, I pinched a bit more than last night, slightly harder sniff to it (still not too much though, which is good), and the warming was a bit deeper and more intense, but not unpleasant.

So, every morning for the last 4 or even 5 months, I've had a bowl of the same pipe tobacco blend in the same pipe on the ride to work. I'd say I'm pretty familiar with that blend in that pipe at this point. This morning I noticed there was definitely some difference in the notes I could pick up in the blend, as well as some other underlying tobacco and a hint of sweet. I'm assuming that is a side effect of the snuff mixed with my pipe smoking habit of lightly French inhaling a few wisps now and then while sipping/puffing. Hitting the ecig confirmed that to my satisfaction, as that had also picked up some additional differences that weren't there before.

I never would have thought about how some snuff could change up a palate while you enjoy other types of baccy.

I still don't see the satisfaction of putting dry tobacco into my nose, so I'll stick to my pipes for now, but as with all forms of tobaccania, I'm atleast a little interested in proper snuff use/etiquette and what it does for its users!

Oh and I almost forgot. Glad your enjoying your purchase! :001_tongu

I never would have thought about how some snuff could change up a palate while you enjoy other types of baccy.

I still don't see the satisfaction of putting dry tobacco into my nose, so I'll stick to my pipes for now, but as with all forms of tobaccania, I'm atleast a little interested in proper snuff use/etiquette and what it does for its users!

Oh and I almost forgot. Glad your enjoying your purchase! :001_tongu

For the longest time I was very non-convinced on the putting anything into the nasal passage as well, so I can really get that. In practice though, as I am finding out, it's not really like that. You are more of smelling the snuff with a sniff, the side effect being the powder disperses and you end up with it inside.

It sounds like your first time(and follow up) was awesome. Hopefully my method will be as good/lucky as yours when my first tin arrives. Did you notice any issues with snuff falling out afterwards?

It sounds like your first time(and follow up) was awesome. Hopefully my method will be as good/lucky as yours when my first tin arrives. Did you notice any issues with snuff falling out afterwards?

Definitely did not notice anything like that. Granted, I maybe still using such a small portion compared to those experienced more, so there's no way near enough to fall out compared to what stays in place... it just seemed to me smaller is better when starting out something like this. lol

Time to start the hunt for some varieties that are really more fruit or flavored then the American Snuff Co. stuff is.

Ahh yes, another rabbit hole to fall down into. I am not familiar with that brand but I envision it to be like an American Scotch which is very fine and very dry. The finer snuffs tend to stay put a little better but there is a greater chance of getting a throat hit if snuffed too hard. Some of the courser snuffs will fall out a little when you first snuff them, not much though.

Ahh yes, another rabbit hole to fall down into. I am not familiar with that brand but I envision it to be like an American Scotch which is very fine and very dry. The finer snuffs tend to stay put a little better but there is a greater chance of getting a throat hit if snuffed too hard. Some of the courser snuffs will fall out a little when you first snuff them, not much though.

It is definitely a very fine and dry powder. I'm doing well with not getting it snuffed too hard, so that's a plus.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Glad you enjoyed it, Rat. I almost always have a partially stuffed nose- ever since I was as a kid that has been the case. A snort helps clear me up.

Glad you enjoyed it, Rat. I almost always have a partially stuffed nose- ever since I was as a kid that has been the case. A snort helps clear me up.

I have the same issue as you... that could be another big reason the snuff increased my awareness of the pipe tobacco notes... I'm thinking something medicated/mentholated would be good to keep on hand..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have the same issue as you... that could be another big reason the snuff increased my awareness of the pipe tobacco notes... I'm thinking something medicated/mentholated would be good to keep on hand..
I am going to have to try having some before a pipe. I generally only snuff at work.

I've dabbled with it, I too have a stuffy nose quite frequently but for some reason I seem to end up with worse feeling nasal passages when I use it. I don't think I'm snuffing too hard, as I don't tend to get it in the throat it just seems more irritant than benefit. I think I still have a tin of Silver Dollar peach laying around somewhere, maybe I'll have to give it another whirl.

I've dabbled with it, I too have a stuffy nose quite frequently but for some reason I seem to end up with worse feeling nasal passages when I use it. I don't think I'm snuffing too hard, as I don't tend to get it in the throat it just seems more irritant than benefit. I think I still have a tin of Silver Dollar peach laying around somewhere, maybe I'll have to give it another whirl.

If you don't enjoy it, I hope I won't get the blame for the "inspiration" to try it again. lol

Turns out a friend/co-worker is a snuff fan sometimes. He suggested with this really fine dry stuff to actually lightly rub it between the fingers as you sniff, it heats it slightly and releases more of the notes in the tobacco. Just gave this a try, and yeah, definitely getting more off of it... still not really getting any overall peach in this, though. lol

Yes, warming it up a bit does help bring out some flavors. I normally either snuff it off the back of my hand or box car it. Maybe I'll try that with some tonight.

I think you should eventually try a snuff bullet. Easy to take, cheap as hell, and you don't get tobacco all over your fingers.

proxy.php

Box Car is when you wrap your index finger around your thumb to form a small indent.

Ah, ok, interesting... I'll youtube that to see if there are examples.. after I get home from work... lol

I'm not convinced on the bullet part, I sort of like the old school approaches. We'll see tho, I maybe convinced...

I put in an order for more to try out now.

Toque Raspberry
Gawith Hoggarth Cherry
Poschl Gawith Apricot
Poschl Gawith Cola
Rockit Cherry Pop
Viking Peach
Braniff Whiskey

This will give me some stuff to try for a while. The website was out of the cool tins that had the little portioning hole in them... but ordering hardware accessories already could be a bit fast, anyways. lol

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I like the flavor of toque raspberry, but it almost always causes me to stuff up.

Bullets are nice for easy access, but I have to do a couple bumps to get a decent dosage, and they work better with fine dry snuffs than coarser or moister snuffs.

The method I use depends on the snuff, and the type of container it comes in. Wide flat tins get pinched, long tall tins get scooped out and boxcared, although lately I've just been taking it straight off a snuff spoon or the scoop part of a czech tool.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ah, ok, interesting... I'll youtube that to see if there are examples.. after I get home from work... lol

I'm not convinced on the bullet part, I sort of like the old school approaches. We'll see tho, I maybe convinced...

I put in an order for more to try out now.

Toque Raspberry
Gawith Hoggarth Cherry
Poschl Gawith Apricot
Poschl Gawith Cola
Rockit Cherry Pop
Viking Peach
Braniff Whiskey

This will give me some stuff to try for a while. The website was out of the cool tins that had the little portioning hole in them... but ordering hardware accessories already could be a bit fast, anyways. lol

Add Sam Gawith Honey to that- you will not be disappointed.

Top Bottom