What's new

Should I upgrade?

Ok so this is more of a question for the Future sense I have only been wet shaving for about two weeks now.

Currently I'm using a Merkur 1904 classic close combed razor. I like it so far however I noticed it's a bit on the cheap side (not that price always equates to quality) so my question is would I benefit from from say a Merkur hd? Or am I going to get the same basic shave (basically what I guess I'm asking is, shave aggressiveness aside, are these razors basically blade holders or much more then that?)

You have a nice razor and one that should be more than enough for a daily driver.

If you are looking for something different, by all means surf the turf and try as many as you want.

You may want to get a few months under your belt (or even as much as a year) so that you have your technique down to the point that you can evaluate the difference between razors.

I can get a perfect shave regardless of what I use for the tools. This comparison between the Gillette Tech and Muhle R41 pretty much says it all: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/284877-The-absurdity-of-Aggressive-VS-Mild

Enabling is what we do. Try a few vintage Gillettes. You can pick them up on eBay or antique stores for a relatively small amount of cash. Then, enjoy the adventure!

Enabling is what we do
Just to warn you if you ever ask "should I buy a new razor" in any way the answer will be "YES".
I caught RAD really bad and now own too many razors which caused my form to go downhill. I'm trying to limit my razors an improve my form. YMMV.

The head is the same. If you enjoy the shave and wet shaving in general, make a long term investment in something like a Weber. Similar but more effective shave and better quality. Although a clean Slim or Super Adjustable can be had for relatively inexpensive.

Just to warn you if you ever ask "should I buy a new razor" in any way the answer will be "YES".
I caught RAD really bad and now own too many razors which caused my form to go downhill. I'm trying to limit my razors an improve my form. YMMV.

Should I buy a new (razor, soap, brush) will always be answered with a "YES" here. How else will you know what you like and don't like. Turtle is right about not changing razors until you get your technique down. You should stick with the same blade and maybe soap as well. Every time you change something it will impact your technique and slow down your learning. He is more patient than I am as I couldn't go the three months to a year that he recommended. I think I was starting to try new things about a month in, which wasn't ideal. From my experience waiting a month, or better yet two, would definitely benefit you.

Maybe in a month or two, you can start a "which razor should I buy thread".
To prepare yourself you can start reading about the Weber or the Merkur Progress (both are excellent) as you'll surely get lots or recommendations for those two.

Also, maybe consider signing up for a passaround box now like the one in the the "PIF vs. Passaround" thread. For the price of shipping (about $20) you'll get to try lots of different razors, creams, soaps and after shaves and keep one item of your choosing and some samples before passing it on. You can add whatever you'd like to the box but it isn't absolutely necessary that you do so. You'll have to wait a couple months (which would be a good time for you to start trying new things) for it to get to you, as each person keeps the box for a week. It was one of the best experiences that I've had here to help me determine what I like and don't like, and in the long run probably saved me money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions that pass around box sounds kinda cool. But Ya i decided to take some time off of this forum and work on technique seeing as scouring this forum was filling my head with too many things to try and different products. About a week ago now I fell in love with my razor. I can actually shave everyday with no irritation. Something I never thought possible so I don't think ill be changing anytime soon :D

Top Bottom