IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm looking for a good face latherer.

Right now I'm considering the following:

Shavemac 944
Da Vinci 293
Kent BLK4

I like a medium sized brush.

What would you all recommend out of the three, and what else would you consider?

EDIT: Just to add, I think I'd prefer a scrubbier brush but I also want decently soft ends. That's why the Kent is still in the running.

My main concern with the Kent is that it may be softer than I want when face lathering.

Last edited:
I would include these in your choices as well.

Rooney Heritage
Savile Row

I have the Rooney and it is excellent.
I've researched, and want, the Savile Row as my next brush.

I would recommend a Shavemac in Finest- of all the major brand brushes I have tried- Simpson, Thater, Shavemac, and Savile Row- the Shavemac in Finest is the best bang for the buck in my opinion and fits your requirements very well.

I've enjoyed the Shavemac so much, I have ordered a second.

If you want cloud like tips, go with the Thater or Savile Row. Both are fantastic and certainly keepers, but I don't get any scrub on either of mine.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Adding Savile Row to my list. Something about the Rooney brushes I don't like the looks of. Silly as it may be, I want my brush to look pretty. :p I think I prefer a bulb shape, too.

Adding Savile Row to my list. Something about the Rooney brushes I don't like the looks of. Silly as it may be, I want my brush to look pretty. :p I think I prefer a bulb shape, too.

I haven't had my Saville row for long, but as a face latherer, I Iike it but don't love it. It has nice soft tips, but less backbone than I like. Also, it is a really extreme bulb, which feels a little weird, at least at first.

It is a very nice brush, but just subjectively, not my favorite.

The OP might have tried to contact Thater and received no response, I've had the same with other vendors and they drop off my list also

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm more referring to when Thater refused to warrant their products and then posted a customers private information, including name and address, on the open web after contacting them with his concerns.

I'm more referring to when Thater refused to warrant their products and then posted a customers private information, including name and address, on the open web after contacting them with his concerns.

Wow! That is bad. I've heard grumbling about their customer service for a while, bit that is worse than I imagined

Also, it is a really extreme bulb, which feels a little weird, at least at first.

I would certainly agree with this. I really like my SR ( I have the 3322), but it does have an exaggerated bulb shaped knot. Of course, one can see this on the QED website prior to purchasing. Of all the brushes I have with bulb shaped knots, my SR has the most extreme bulb shape of any. It has moderate backbone so the bulb is able to relax on your face and is extremely soft to use. I don't appreciate any scrub with my SR so if you are wanting a brush with some scrub, I'm not sure the SR silvertip grade hair is what you are looking for.

Based on your criteria, I think you owe it to yourself to check out a synthetic silvertip fibre from Muhle. Soft but somehow slightly scrubby tips, and builds and disperses lather like nobody's business. It's also probably less pricey than the ones you mentioned.

$kent ac4 brush-0782s.jpg

kent ac4 is excellent all around. in pure badger.
soft as silvertip but with enough backbone for face lathering.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Based on your criteria, I think you owe it to yourself to check out a synthetic silvertip fibre from Muhle. Soft but somehow slightly scrubby tips, and builds and disperses lather like nobody's business. It's also probably less pricey than the ones you mentioned.

I already have a Muhle Synthetic. :) Very soft and springy. I have a Black Fibre which has less backbone but I'll likely grab a STF2 in the future. Right now I don't have ANY badger brushes, though, and I've been wanting to try something in a higher grade.

Also applies to pure brushes. I've had pure and I'm looking to see how I like Silvertip this time around.

Right now I think I'm leaning toward the Shavemac 944 for the denseness of the D01 knot for face lathering. The SR is still in the running although if it is really soft I may have to drop it from the running.

There it is in a nutshell. You can have the worlds greatest product but if you don't stand by it why the hell am I buying it? Not happening. My money is on Kent, Simpson, Rudy Vey, M&F and others.

I had a Kent BK8 and it wasn't the slightest bit scrubby. Shavemac D01 is scrubby, but the hair tips are quite soft. I think they are great brushes. Rooney Super is something else to consider.

Top Bottom