What's new

Just ordered a Duke 3.

Pathetically seeking a little validation here: as mentioned, I just ordered a duke 3 and am feeling jittery! I received a nice Christmas gift certificate, and desperately needing a new brush i narrowed to the SOC in super badger and the Duke. I'm basically an economy shaver and after breaking my (used) Berkeley 46, I have been using my Case as my daily brush. I was looking for a dense badger, without a ton of loft, in the $85 - $100 range.

I was kind of settling on the SOC until I realized the particular vendor was out-of-stock, so I went with the Duke which I've always been a little fascinated with. I'm also a pretty satisfied Simpson fan in general...

So I'm wondering if I should have just held out for the SOC - or if I actually chose wisely?? I'm so lame!

apologies for the lameness.

You chose . . . wisely!

I am a big fan of my Duke 2, and the only thing that could make it better would be if it were a little bigger ... which would make it a Duke 3 :wink2:

Enjoy the brush, and let us know how it goes!

I've got a Classic 2 Best, (very similar to a Duke 3) I love it. Until recently, it was my go-to brush, and will probably remain my travel brush.

Pathetically seeking a little validation here: as mentioned, I just ordered a duke 3 and am feeling jittery! I received a nice Christmas gift certificate, and desperately needing a new brush i narrowed to the SOC in super badger and the Duke. I'm basically an economy shaver and after breaking my (used) Berkeley 46, I have been using my Case as my daily brush. I was looking for a dense badger, without a ton of loft, in the $85 - $100 range.

I was kind of settling on the SOC until I realized the particular vendor was out-of-stock, so I went with the Duke which I've always been a little fascinated with. I'm also a pretty satisfied Simpson fan in general...

So I'm wondering if I should have just held out for the SOC - or if I actually chose wisely?? I'm so lame!

apologies for the lameness.

You did good. I've got a D2. Other brushes come and go but the D2 just keeps giving me pleasure whenever I use it. The only thing better might well be a D3.

I have a Simpsons 58, which has a knot very similar to the Duke 3. It is a great all round brush. I don't think you can go wrong with the Duke 3!

thanks for the input, all. i'm basically an economy/utility shaver so throwing down a C note for a brush left me a little uneasy! however...tension...easing... :)

The Duke 3, along with it's smaller brother the Duke 2, is among the most positive referred brushes on B&B.

The upgrade from the Berkeley and Case to a Duke 3 is pretty significant. I understand your apprehension about spending that kind of money on a shave brush, but think that it will prove to be money well spent.

Be sure to give it a few days to really open up.

apologies for the lameness.[/
QUOTE]p
You will have a most excellent brush. It would be hard not to love a Duke. The nice thing about your situation is that you are going to enjoy the Duke for many years and there are many Semogue brushes that are so much more affordable than the SOC. If you don't already own a boar, Semogue has some wonderful choices including 610, 1305 and a very small treasure that is the 1704. The 1704 is probably the same model brush or very close to a brush I bought in Nassau in 1962. It served me well until I gave it to my son a couple of years ago. I really don't think people use boar brushes for their softness no matter what they claim. BADGER is soft but boar so comfortable with backbone that massages and exfoliates well. Also when you want to chill your skin after shaving, I find boar bristles held under cold running water seems to be colder than badger. Perhaps that is due to the physics of how each brush holds water. Badger hair grabs the water and holds it on the surface like a magnet. The boar bristle absorbs the cold water like a sponge. Maybe it just seems colder but my skin always seems chilled more when I finish up with a boar.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Duke 3 has a beautiful handle design and a well packed knot made exactly with the specs I prefer. Very similar to the Chubby 1, but slightly less dense this is a superb, legendary brush.

I was just about to post that Marco should be along shortly to give you the confidence boost you desire, and voila, there it is.:001_rolle

There's no way you can go wrong with a Duke 3. And as others have noted it is a big favourite on B&B so it wouldn't last long on BST if you do change your mind.

If you need validation, you've got it.

You made the best decision regarding brushes, you got the best all around brush in this price range. The D3 is not only gorgeous, it's performance is also superb.

I am also a proud owner of a D3 and I think that everyone who has the means should have a D3 in his rotation, or even keep a D3 as his single brush.

The Duke 3 is one of my favorite brushes and I have very many brushes. I tend to use it nearly every time I shave with MWF and with Tabac.

Top Bottom