What's new

Got a Gillette Super Adjustable this Christmas

I got a nice gift in a package just in time for christmas. It said "from Santa" but I could figure out it was sent from (or Santa sent it through) my good friend Jeff (JSB33). I had read a lot about him getting an adjustable Fat Boy and discussed a couple of times with him about the advantages with being able to adjust the razor. This was a couple of months ago - and now suddenly I have one.

proxy.php

It is a Gillette Super Adjustable made in 1971 in the second quarter of the year. Looks and works like a brand new razor and still tight in the adjustment mechanism. I am truly thankful for this wonderful gift - and I couldn't be more excited about the testing of it. I have come to "5" in the adjustment and still it is a very comfortable shaver. I suspect that when I come to "9" my head will be cut clean off. :biggrin1:

I am currently running it with an Astra Platinum blade and it feels a bit similar in the hand to my Gillette Knack from 1970 with the same kind of handle (the Knack is a little longer) - although the Super Adjustable is considerably heavier. Having my best shaves ever with it.

I extend my greatest thanks to "Santa"

What settings do you guys use for your adjustables?

Johan, That's one fine looking razor.

I believe that it has the same head as the Knack, but IMO it's a much cooler looking razor.

Wishing you great shaves with that terrific razor in 2014.

That's a beauty!

I set my Gillette adjustables to 6 or 7. Don't worry about going to 9 either. I never found higher than 7 to add efficiency but if you've got the required light touch it can't hurt you.

That's a beauty!

I set my Gillette adjustables to 6 or 7. Don't worry about going to 9 either. I never found higher than 7 to add efficiency but if you've got the required light touch it can't hurt you.

Thanks for your comment. I think next try will be at 7 and stay there for a while until I have changed the blade to a new one. :001_smile

Johan, That's one fine looking razor.

I believe that it has the same head as the Knack, but IMO it's a much cooler looking razor.

Wishing you great shaves with that terrific razor in 2014.

Thanks, I will check on my Knack and compare the heads as well. But it makes sense that they would share parts like that. :001_smile

Nice! I was lucky enough to win one of these in a PIF last year, and while it's not one I reach for all the time, it never fails to give me a surprisingly comfortable shave. When mine is set to 6 I can barely tell there's a blade loaded.

The Super Adjustable is my only TTO out of my couple dozen razors. It's also my Birth Year/Month razor :) I really like it and found it works best for me with Personna Labs and on setting 5-6 it's crazy smooth while still doing a good job at taking off hairs.

Always think these look great. To me they have kind of a 1930's art deco look to them, especially the numbering.

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I have had the plan, like you Todd, to get a razor from my birthyear/month and the Gillette codes makes it easy to find out the exact age of each one. This Super Adjustable is just over a year older than me.

Top Bottom