What's new

Open Comb Slants?

Hey guys,

I have only shaved with a merkur 1904 closed comb, so I have been looking to experiment. I got really interested in slants (will probably go for a 37c or 39c, still don't know how to decide), and then got attracted to open combs. I decided, hey I could try both no? But I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that was a open comb slant. Are they just not possible because of the slant somehow, or am I just being stupid not realizing something? Or did I just come up with a revolutionary idea...probably not.

Just curious, thanks for appeasing me ahead of time,
Luc

So just to develop this a bit, are there any adjustable slants?
And I suppose the torsion on the blade as the defining characteristic rules out the thicker bladed SEs and injectors, but what about a torqued straight or shavette?

Walbusch b5. It is impossible to get so don't bother looking.... A straight that has a smiling profile kind of slices at hair in a similar way, but believe me when I say any properly honed straight in a skilled hand is at least the match for any safety razor.

Some slants don't even torque the blade, they kink the whole head at an angle. Others torque the blade a huge amount. I think the stiffness the torque artificially imparts to the blade is a big part of what makes the slant so smooth despite the aggression. Razors that don't curve the blade much if at all tend to be really aggressive but rough as well. The slant almost makes the thin blade behave like a thicker ones plus the slicing action seems to pull some added performance out of lesser blades.

Hahah I like the development of new razor styles. I have no idea how a torqued straight could be honed/stropped, mjclark, would have to have a perfectly matchingly torqued set of honing/stropping equipment or so

Hahah I like the development of new razor styles. I have no idea how a torqued straight could be honed/stropped, mjclark, would have to have a perfectly matchingly torqued set of honing/stropping equipment or so

Oh yeah... I hadn't thought of that. Maybe some kind of sleeve to twist the blade into, like the scabbard of a sword :)

Ziglar made an open comb slant.

Chrome plated and super shiny. Shaves so smooth and easy you'd think it didn't have a blade in it.

Valencia, A French razor company, made at least two models of slants that were open comb. Very nice razors that are fantastic shavers. I reviewed both on the B.O.S.S. thread. Looks like they would scrape skin off your face but mild and efficient shave. Nickel plated brass.

A stainless steel open comb slant would be the ULTIMATE razor. One razor to rule them all, One razor to find them,
One razor to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Well, this is what you might find:

$Valencia 1.jpg$Valencia 1a.jpg$Valencia 2.jpg$Valencia 2a.jpg

Any razor you pick up can be used as slant. Just hold the handle a few degrees off the line of travel. It' called the Gillette slide...:thumbup1:

Merkur made open comb slants as well:

$12164099mx.jpg

$16890945qc.jpg

$16890946sm.jpg

A few years ago I didn't even know that Merkur made them. Then I found these two beauties.

The first one shaves very well, the second one is still NOS and unused.

The angle on the first one is identical compared to the current made Merkur slant razor.

For the angle of the second one I suspect it is a cousin of the Abercrombie & Fitch slant, while the top cap could be the same they used on the early Hoffritz super slants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom