What's new

Chubby 2 in 2 band christmas present & i don't like it

Was anxious about this new brush I received for Xmas. It is a Chubby 2 two band & it is beautiful. It does a excellent job at producing lots of lather, but it doesn't have a strong enough backbone to suit me. Mark picked it out for me and I paid $346 for it shipped. I hear the Simpson Manchurian is about the same, so I don't know what I'm going to do. There is no way I'm going to be able to recover close to what I paid and I don't know what brush/knot would better suit me. I have several Shavemac D01 2 bands and 1 WSP Manchurian Mountain Badger. I like thew WSP the best because it pushes back more.

I thought I'd go big, get a nice brush & stop looking. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice brush. It has good backbone, I simply thought it would have a stronger backbone than it does. I have used it 1 time. It did not hog lather like some have said. It is very dense & yet produces lather like crazy. Loft on it is 48mm.
Here is a picture after two shaves. Sorry about the picture quality.
$IMG_0533.JPG$IMG_0535.JPG

FWIW'
Vic

Last edited:
That's a tough one. Let me ask you do you think there will be days one would prefer a softer brush than others? I mean. I know everyone seems to want a brush that "scrubbs" but having options in your arsenal is a good thing. I have a range of brushes now from painting to dense that I like to rotate through depending on my mood and if I was to agressive shaving the day before.

Try it a few more times to make sure it isn't for you. There aren't many badger brushes out there with more backbone than the CH2 2-band. Maybe the shavemac 2 bands have more backbone.

D

Deleted member 48987

Actually, my experience has been that the manchurian has much more backbone. I have always found the regular 2-bands to be less dense. I think I've used every grade of hair offered in the Chubby 2 model, including a few generations of 2-band and manchurian. I found the 2-band (particularly in recent years) to have the least amount of backbone, taller lofts, and less density. Having said that, it was enough backbone for me and I would rate it as "medium" compared to everything I have tried. YMMV.

You may have some luck selling the brush on the BST, you never know.

I wasn't happy with mine either. The backbone wasn't an issue for me, it had plenty to go around. I wasn't happy with the density. It was too dense of a brush for me and I prefer something a little less dense in 2-band.

Was anxious about this new brush I received for Xmas. It is a Chubby 2 two band & it is beautiful. It does a excellent job at producing lots of lather, but it doesn't have a strong enough backbone to suit me. Mark picked it out for me and I paid $346 for it shipped. I hear the Simpson Manchurian is about the same, so I don't know what I'm going to do. There is no way I'm going to be able to recover close to what I paid and I don't know what brush/knot would better suit me. I have several Shavemac D01 2 bands and 1 WSP Manchurian Mountain Badger. I like thew WSP the best because it pushes back more.

I thought I'd go big, get a nice brush & stop looking. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice brush. It has good backbone, I simply thought it would have a stronger backbone than it does. I have used it 1 time. It did not hog lather like some have said. It is very dense & yet produces lather like crazy. Loft on it is 48mm.

FWIW'
Vic
Please please please don't give up on this beautiful brush. I love it so much so that I have 4 of these. It just takes time - at least 30-40 uses and then all of a sudden it will open up. The price you get on BST will be pretty much the same whether it is used once or 15 times.

​I would also recommend shavemac's D01 2-bands for maximum scrub (the D01 3-bands are also pretty scrubby). My manchurian chubby 3 and chubby 2 were also extremely stiff.

I use different brushes at different times and am presently rediscovering the joys of 3-band silvertips.

I would recommend using it for at least a couple months before making any decision about it.

New brushes take a little getting used to.

You may find that you enjoy it if you give it enough time to "grow on you"

Ok. You all have convinced me to use it more before I unload it. Thanks for your input.
Later,
Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look for brush that push back, other than Manchurian what you can consider is the Rooney XL.
Classic Shaving still have some 3XL in stock. The 3XL is bigger with a bigger knot but cheaper than what you had paid for your Ch2 2band and a similar size Manchurian will cost much more.

I would recommend holding on to it. I went thru a stage of preferring brushes with lots of backbone and scritch but now favor softer brushes. A Rooney that I boxed up for a year because I considered it "floppy" is now back to being a favorite. I am so glad I didn't sell that one.

I would agree with most of the other comments. Give it little while and get it broken in. My M&F two band brushes just keep getting better with use. I've had a simpson two band with gel tips and once it was broken in it has performed amazingly. I've never had a chubby 2 but I do plan on getting one sometime this year.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment, I hope the brush will eventually workout for you. I read on a post here someone recommending that the knot to loft ratio should not be over 1:2 in order to help insure good backbone, there has got to be some truth to it.

That's a tough one. Let me ask you do you think there will be days one would prefer a softer brush than others? I mean. I know everyone seems to want a brush that "scrubbs" but having options in your arsenal is a good thing. I have a range of brushes now from painting to dense that I like to rotate through depending on my mood and if I was to agressive shaving the day before.

+1 and good all around advice, especially after only a couple of shaves.

I was SO disappointed in the initial boars (I wanted more scritch) when I first bought them (Semogue 1305 etc) as I compared them to my "awesome" badgers. Then I thought my Thater Badger didn't have the smoothness of my SR3824 but it ALL changed with use.

Now that the boars are completely broken in, they "shared the rotation" with my badgers on a regular basis and my Thater is a favorite.

Gene

I just bought a brush on BST that might be more to your liking. Take a look at the pics in the first post of this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/376608-Chubby-2-Clone

I was looking for either a Chubby 2 or a Stubby 2XL until I saw this gorgeous brush. What sold me on it was that it had a Shavvemac D01 3-band knot in it. I already have a much smaller (24-25 mm) Shavemac D01 3-band and find that knot has the perfect combination of backbone and soft tips. I don't have a Chubby 2 or the 2XL to compare to the brush I bought, but it's hard for me to imagine I would likeeither of them more than I like that brush - probably one of my best BST pickups ever. I love this brush. Could be something like this would meet your needs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom