What's new

Mühle R41 – 2011 or 2013?

Which version of the Mühle R41 do you prefer?

• pre-2011 (Fatip)

• When was Art born?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've only used the 2011. But I can say with no ego, that the 2011 is way better than the 2013 model.

I've read a lot of reviews about razors before I bought them and they rarely exceed expectations. When I got my Fatboy, disappointed wasn't the word but it was nothing that amazing in my book.

The R41 (2011) on the other hand does exactly what is expected from it, giviving you the closest shave outside of a straight. I love this thing :001_wub:

The 2011 version is a tad more aggressive then the 2013 but that doesn't mean it shaves closer. I like using a heavier handle on the 2013 so possibly that is what makes the difference. The only way you are going to know for sure is to try it.

So I can't remember where i saw it, but wasn't there a thread a while back that talked about how the 2011 has more blade exposure than the 2013 but the blade gap is the same, thereby causing the two models to both shave similarly close but causing a blade in the 2011 to have the potential to bend more, thereby resulting in more nicks and cuts? I guess I was under the impression that the 2013 was a better solution because it gave practically the same shave with much more safety / reduced nicks and cuts. Am I mistaken?

(For the record, I have not tried either razor, but hope to soon. I have a feeling one might be coming my way in the near future. :thumbup: )

- Badger Bill

The 2013 R41 isn't as easy on the skin, its BBS does not match the 2011's longevity, and the 2013's feel falls short of the extraordinary guided blade feel of the 2011.

The 2013 R41 isn't as easy on the skin, its BBS does not match the 2011's longevity, and the 2013's feel falls short of the extraordinary guided blade feel of the 2011.

Interesting. This is very different from what I've heard in the past. What do others think? Is this a YMMV thing, or is the 2011 generally considered to be better by most? I'm really enjoying this thread…. I wish more people would vote, but there probably aren't that many out there who have tried all those versions.

- Badger Bill

Interesting. This is very different from what I've heard in the past. What do others think? Is this a YMMV thing, or is the 2011 generally considered to be better by most? I'm really enjoying this thread…. I wish more people would vote, but there probably aren't that many out there who have tried all those versions.

- Badger Bill

I wish I had experience with both to report and I didn't vote accordingly. From what I've noticed so far, if the blade chatters or skips it seems to be resultant of the angle I happen to be using, and the effective angle range is in certain cases enormous.

At 10 or so shaves with the 2011 I'm not having any issue with irritation with daily use and the nicks and weepers are quite rare.

I have only tried the 2013 (thanks to a generous B&B member who lent me his), but I have no desire for something even more aggressive. If I ever buy my own R41, it will be the 2013 version. If I want a closer shave, I'll switch to the 1813 version:

proxy.php

- Badger Bill

I don't think I'm contradicting what's been discussed. Shaved properly a 2011 requires one less pass and leaves the skin more calm. The 2013 is more forgiving... or is that "less unforgiving" and you can feel the extra pass on the skin after the shave. When comparing two weeperless BBS+ the 2011 wins hands down. So "isn't as easy on the skin" means with both shaved well. Hands down the 2013 will do less damage when shaved without reasonable attention to blade angle and pressure.

Does that clarify it?

Top Bottom