What's new

Kevlar Canoe with Ash Trim

So I have had a few other canoes lined up over the past year but The Prospector never happened...The Osagian Classic never happened...now I have this as an option to switch from my Square Stern (cheater canoe) to a traditional paddling canoe.

I was at MEC last night on an unrelated trip and noticed a Brand Spanking New (appeared to be) Nova Craft Pal (Green) in Kevlar (Aramid I guess) with Ash Trip for $1500 down from $3000 CDN. The nice thing with MEC is it will come with full Nova Craft Warrant as well as MEC Rock Solid Guarantee (basically lifetime if any issues arrise out that are not normal wear & tear)

As I was paying for a pair of gloves, I asked the clerk to put it on HOLD for 48rs (their max) so I could research it.

I have a feeling, I won't see another deal like this from MEC (rock solid return policy, even years after) and am debating breaking the news to my wife..."I want to buy another canoe).

I would then sell the Osagian Lil Missourian Square back (my plan for a while) and upgrade to what would be a very nice canoe (at least my thinking). I just wonder if it is big enough at 16' to accomodate the odd trip (2-3 times a year) when all four of us (and dog) want to get out on the water and hit the lake. We use a sling seat and drop in now and even though we are crammed, we make it work and have no complaints from anyone in the boat.

For the most part, it's me and one or both of the kids, while my wife stays on shore and relaxes. So we could probably cram us all in for the odd time we want to all get in. Or heck, one of us could use one of the 2 sit on top Kayaks we have and paddle beside. No tripping, no overnighters, just hitting the lake for a bit here and there and the odd river (no whitewater).

It was listed as KEVLAR, 54lbs, which to me looks like the ARAMID version with ASH trim.

Boy, it sure was pretty...that's for sure.

I don't want a very high maintance canoe, it will be stored outside (protected by raised sunroom on our bi-level house). I don't mind treating the wood every now and then, but hoping it's not something I have to worry about or may be damaged by our -30 winters up here in Winnipeg.

Thoughts?

http://www.novacraft.com/canoe_pal.htm

Length16' / 488 cm
Beam34" / 86.4 cm
Center Depth13" / 33 cm
Bow Depth20" / 50.8 cm
Capacity800 lbs / 364 kg

Aramid54 lbs / 24.5 kg

$thumbnail.jpg

That's a beautiful boat, and at a fantastic price. I say go for it.

it sure is. but it's not a decision I want to jump into and want to make sure it's an educated one.

Even though it's a good price, it's still a $1500+ investment, which for me is quite a bit.

Hoping some others will have some say on Kevlar and how it stands up over time, durability and care/maintance aspect of it.

I have a friend that has had a Kevlar canoe for 15+ years with no issues. Holds up great, and he does weeks long paddle trips in Montana and Wyoming including whitewater.

I totally understand the investment. My $200 Craigslist kayak was a huge deal last year when I got it.

asked around on a Paddling forum that offers help and reviews, talked to MEC about a few things, got the OK from the boss and hope to confirm canoe tomorrow.

I am hoping (pretty sure they will), that I can leave it there for a bit, at least till the new year or maybe longer.

I have been told/asked "This is the last canoe, right? We don't want to keep trading and selling every few years". To which I replied "I sure hope so".

Pretty sure this canoe will suit our needs, be ultra light, durable and serve us well on our camping trips.

Everything I have read, heard and researched on the PAL, is it's every bit as good or better then the PROSPECTOR and should be a versatile canoe for paddling solo, tandem or with all of us in it.

Looks like you found yourself a winner. I'm glad. It's not easy to find the right boat for everything you want to do with it. That's how folks end up with so many boats!

Ha! I have yet to talk my wife into giving my kayak a try. She's just sure that she'll flip it and drown. I really doubt that, but her balance isn't the best. 😉

Canoe has been purchased and it turned out to be even better then I though.

It's 49-51 lbs and is the Kevlar/Spectra material, so strong and lighter then straight Kevlar. Dark green, but with the 2 tone as above and the same ash trim.

With a boat this fancy, I'll have to break it to my wife that we now need to upgrade out paddles. :laugh:

They are also storing it for a while, at least until the new orders or canoes come in, likely Feb or so 2014.

$1538642_574006506007113_872794604_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I've always wanted a canoe. Just the pace one sets in them and having something a family can do together is right up my alley.
Congrats!

Very nice! I've always wanted a canoe. Just the pace one sets in them and having something a family can do together is right up my alley.
Congrats!

It will be our 3rd canoe in about 5 years...but our first traditional, double ender and our first "real" canoe, at least in my eyes.

The first was a fiberglass off kijiji for cheap, just to see if we liked it. We did, so sold it for what we paid and bought the aluminum Osagian Square Back.

While the Osagian Aluminum is a great canoe, it's more suited for hunting and hauling and weights 80lbs and doesn't track very well. It's nice to leave outside all year, exposed, no maintance etc but we rarely get out for a true paddle and never explore surrounding lakes when camping as it's such a hassle to roof it when we want to drive it somewhere. It's great for when I strap a little electric motor on and head out with the kids to do some trolling or touring around. Now that the kids are getting bigger (still young at 6 & 8), I hope they will start enjoy paddling a bit more and enjoy a canoe for the way it was meant to be.

They both enjoy the outdoors, biking, hiking, kayaking and camping, hopefully they will grow and appreciate the time we spend in the canoe together....If not, I have a sweet solo paddling canoe :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Man, I'd love to see something like this while out canoeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got back from our first paddle with this beauty.

What a joy to paddle, manuever, roof solo and coast down the river in.

Handles much better then our aluminum square stern, which has now been sold off.
$uploadfromtaptalk1400447851103.jpg

May 18th, I shouldn't see this while cruising down the river...yes, that's snow!!!!
$uploadfromtaptalk1400447870246.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase. I know it was a lit of $$, but it was a great deal on a very high quality canoe. Properly cared for, it should give you years of service and probably be inexpensive in the long run. Paddle away and have fun.

This thing is a joy to paddle....Ultra light, ultra fast, ultra quiet. Super easy to roof top, carry to and from the lake to campsite solo.

Everything I could want in a canoe and didn't even realize it until we used it. Much more control then our square stern, very quick on the water, easy to sneak up on wildlife (ducks, loons, turtles, etc) and easy to paddle solo when sitting in the stern seat, facing forward.

Here is a shot of a sunset solo paddle on our recent camping trip.

$10552503_681727268568369_7451228521273351817_n.jpg

Last edited:
Out this afternoon on a local river just outside Winnipeg.

What a peaceful couple of hours trying to spot turtles, carp, deer and other things along the way.
$uploadfromtaptalk1407618733600.jpg

Looks great Bruce. A couple coats of synthetic car wax on the outside and on the trim will help keep it nice.

Looks great Bruce. A couple coats of synthetic car wax on the outside and on the trim will help keep it nice.

Thanks, I will probably do that after our next week long trip with it in Rushing River Provincial Park ON. I store it on saw horses outside, covered with a tarp to protect the kevlar from fading and rain on the trip, but need to pick up a few things to for maintenance.

They say once or twice a year, depending on usage, is all that is needed...here's hoping that's true.

Thanks, I will probably do that after our next week long trip with it in Rushing River Provincial Park ON. I store it on saw horses outside, covered with a tarp to protect the kevlar from fading and rain on the trip, but need to pick up a few things to for maintenance.

They say once or twice a year, depending on usage, is all that is needed...here's hoping that's true.

If you can rig it so the tarp is not contacting the canoe its better for airflow and the wood- a couple of A frames and a piece of PVC pipe works great for that.

I use the paste wax Nu Finish with great results.

Top Bottom