What's new

Simpson Duke 3 Best vs Duke 2 Super

As the 2014 Sabbatical looms, I am faced with picking up one final brush before I dive head first (no exceptions) into a economical shaving year :sad:. I have been looking at the Duke series of brushes and have the opportunity to bag either a Duke 3 in Best or a Duke 2 in Super.

I face lather soaps exclusively and my current badger brush rotation does not come below 24mm knots:

26mm 3-band Thater,
26mm 3-band TGN
28mm 2-band TGN,
24mm 2-band TGN
24mm Simpson Commodore Best

I am simply looking for a brush that will provide a bit more variety in my rotation, I am unsure about opting for the Duke 2 in Super since I have heard so much about the wonders of the Duke 3 being a "must try" brush for all wet shavers. However I am unsure about the Duke 3 in Best because I have also heard that the scritch levels of some Duke Best brushes can be a little too high.

Can anyone provide any words regarding the performance and feel of these brushes? I suspect the Duke 3 Best will have plenty of responses so I'm also hoping to reach anyone who has Duke 2 Super. Or even better, someone who has both?!?!?

Thanks as always chaps!

PS I wonder how many of you enablers will say get both? :biggrin1:

Sounds like you are limiting your options. There are a lot of quality brushes out there outside of the Simpsons Duke series. I had a Duke 3 in Best and was not impressed with it at all. I also had a Chubby 1 in 2-band Super and was quite impressed with it. Some people say the Chubby 1 and Duke 3 are very similar brushes. Overall I tend to tell people to stay away from Simpsons Best. There is too much variation within the grade of hair to know what you are getting for your money and I do not consider that to be a value. I would have to say if you absolutely had to choose within these two brushes go for the Duke 2 in Super. But there are a lot of other brushes out there, some better values for the money, that are not being taken into consideration here.

Sounds like you are limiting your options. There are a lot of quality brushes out there outside of the Simpsons Duke series. I had a Duke 3 in Best and was not impressed with it at all. I also had a Chubby 1 in 2-band Super and was quite impressed with it. Some people say the Chubby 1 and Duke 3 are very similar brushes. Overall I tend to tell people to stay away from Simpsons Best. There is too much variation within the grade of hair to know what you are getting for your money and I do not consider that to be a value. I would have to say if you absolutely had to choose within these two brushes go for the Duke 2 in Super. But there are a lot of other brushes out there, some better values for the money, that are not being taken into consideration here.
Interesting take. The only brush I ever sold was a Simpson in best, and I would be hesitant to buy anything else in that grade, which is a pity,because I think Simpson makes absolutely classic looking brushes. OTOH, if Reevers already has and likes a Simpson's best, then he as a sense of what they are like.

Personally at that price point, I'd be more inclined to get a Rooney 1/1 or 1/2 which seem to sort of straddle the dukes size wise, and at least in pics seem to be comparable aesthetically

Interesting take. The only brush I ever sold was a Simpson in best, and I would be hesitant to buy anything else in that grade, which is a pity,because I think Simpson makes absolutely classic looking brushes. OTOH, if Reevers already has and likes a Simpson's best, then he as a sense of what they are like.

Personally at that price point, I'd be more inclined to get a Rooney 1/1 or 1/2 which seem to sort of straddle the dukes size wise, and at least in pics seem to be comparable aesthetically

Agreed.

And to clarify, by in pics, I meant of the Duke, which I've never handled in person. I own A Truefitt and Hill 1/2 which is currently my favorite brush

I have a Duke 3 Best that is a flat out lather machine, I love it, but it definitely has a touch of scritch, not a deal breaker for me, but I can see how some would be turned off by it. It won't hold a candle to your Thater 26mm 3 band, I can assure you.

Wow, not a lot of love for Simpson here! I knew I could trust you guys to throw a spanner in the works by mentioning another brand!

Rooney style 1 does look like a great brush. How are the Rooney style 1 silvertip brushes for face lathering?

The hair is a bit variable. I'd say just pick the size that you prefer. I've got a Ch1 in 2-band and it is way scritchier than either of my Simpsons in Best, including my Duke 2 which is pretty soft, and just about a perfect brush.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
If you absolutely want a silky soft touch on the skin go with the Super, if you want a firmer hair with a level of scritch that can vary quite a lot from low to medium go with the Best. As about size 2 Vs size 3 on the Duke Series I personally find no huge difference.

Wow, not a lot of love for Simpson here! I knew I could trust you guys to throw a spanner in the works by mentioning another brand!

Rooney style 1 does look like a great brush. How are the Rooney style 1 silvertip brushes for face lathering?

I only facelather, and use a 1/2 pretty frequently. I think it works great. That said, I don't have a large repository of top notch brushes for comparison.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
There has been 5 Duke 3's in my Den over the last 6 years. Highest recommendation and I never felt a scritch
Down to one Somerset Era one now but I'd never sell it like I did the others

For what it is worth, Duke 3 in Best killed my SBAD. It's a soft lather machine without being a hog, gets me through three passes with most soaps. The only downside is that some days it can feel big on my face (face lather exclusively). I had a Chubby 1 in Super that was a soap killer, always dry, too scrubby, and generally not agreeable.

If you absolutely want a silky soft touch on the skin go with the Super, if you want a firmer hair with a level of scritch that can vary quite a lot from low to medium go with the Best. As about size 2 Vs size 3 on the Duke Series I personally find no huge difference.

I think I would go with the Duke 3. I have one in Best and the size is very satisfying... not too big but substantial. I have three Simpson brushes. A Chubby 1 in Best which I have read that many wet shavers find too small, but I find to be ideal. The Chubby loads lather beautifully. Finally I have an Emperor 3 which comes in Super. After many, many shaves I have not been able to tell an appreciable difference between the Super and the Best, comparing the 3 Simpsons. They are all of soft, firm and outstanding quality. I think I would pick the Duke based on the size I was most comfortable with and disregard the hair as a factor. Personally I would love to try a Duke 2 in Super just to see what the difference would be. I can't imagine a Simpson that anyone would be unhappy with unless it was defective.

Sorry I just don't think Simpsons are a good value. You don't get what you pay for with the "Best," grade of hair. There are better brushes that can be had for less money. Namely Rooney and Shavemac.

+1. My #1 brush is a Duke 2 in best. Perfect balance between scritch and softness. I find the handle about perfect for face-lathering hard soaps. The only brush giving my Duke 2 much competition is a brand new Simpson's 57 (also in best). YMMV, of course, and I do understand that there is variability in the best grade. BUT when you get a good one, it is a terrific every day driver IMO.

Top Bottom