What's new

Left Handed Notebooks

Being left handed its very hard to write in spiral bound notebooks. I read an article about this start-up company thats makes spiral bound notebooks for left handers. The paper is fountain pen friendly too. They also sell notebooks for those that not been gifted to be left handed. The web site is www.writepads.com.

I can't remember if it is Rhodia or Whitelines or another such company but I have seen spirals marketed for ambidextrous use.

I realize that I may be revealing my inability to get the point (which I don't mind), and possibly being insulting (which is far from my intention), but I really have to ask. How is this different from that?

All I can think of is not wanting to use the back cover as the front one. No doubt a hot topic among lefties, but if you could get a standard notebook of FP friendly paper for less, would it really be worth the extra money?

I stress that this is a genuine question, not an attempt to belittle anyone.

Theres a place at the mall, you might have heard of it....

$lefty.jpg

Sorry, I couldnt resist! :) (My wife is a lefty, so I have nothing but love for you all! )

I realize that I may be revealing my inability to get the point (which I don't mind), and possibly being insulting (which is far from my intention), but I really have to ask. How is this different from that?

All I can think of is not wanting to use the back cover as the front one. No doubt a hot topic among lefties, but if you could get a standard notebook of FP friendly paper for less, would it really be worth the extra money?

In grade school, where you work with a pencil, you end up with the spirals digging into your wrist and a shiny grey hand from the graphite. Once you switch to a pen, you'll still get ink on the hand and the wire-digging. Largely, this is solved by starting from the back (so the spirals are on the right) and using every other page, then rotating the notebook (so it is upside down), working your way back. Of course, then all your notebooks look weird and you have to explain it to people.

I've personally avoided spiral-bound notebooks unless they are stenographer's pads (spirals up top) because it's a pain in the rear.

If you want your notebook to look nice for whatever reason--it's a journal, or it's a professional setting, or you want dates/page numbers, or what-have-you--I could see it. You have a choice of products, so you choose something that is more functional and/or pleasing to look at, albeit more expensive--surely you can understand it from that perspective..

Does it have to be spiral. Why not pick something bound? The FC notebook that comes with B&B journal is fantastic!

Hi im also a lefty how bout when i went in the military leftys have button up your bdus all the way up so the hot brass dont go down your shirt . It really sucks being left handed sometimes or how all the saftys on guns a are made for the odd people

A spiral notebook for a left hander is pure torture. It is always great to find notebooks made for left handed people, especially with fountain pen friendly paper.

I'am a lefty,in fact the only other person that is a lefty in my family is my grandmother.
She taught me a trick when I was very young in school to turn my paper to the right so that it lay horizontal
in front of you.that way the left hand works on going down indirection instead of across of everything you've just written
its helped a bunch although some people might give you a funny look when writing.
just putting it out there for lefty's give it a try

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sorry guys, I don't get this either.
Once you open the book, it's the same whether you started right handed or left handed.
Please help out the obtuse here.

Right hand
$right hand.jpg

Left hand
$left hand.jpg

Sorry guys, I don't get this either.
Once you open the book, it's the same whether you started right handed or left handed.
Please help out the obtuse here.

You're right, there is no functional difference, but many notebooks have writing on the cover and a top margin on the paper. My solution is to use top bound notebooks. I also bought an Arc (Circa type) notebook. Pull the page out, write, push it back in.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Get a Steno Pad, with the spiral at the top.
They come in all sizes.

Steno doesn't really help me - at least not at the top of the page. I write with my hand above the line, and the notebook slanted to the left. Near the top of the page, my hand is still right on the spiral.

I prefer pads with perforated bindings at the top, but no spirals (like a legal pad).

Top Bottom