What's new

Started with a Merkur HD.

Started a few months ago DE shaving with a Merkur 34c. Picked up an EJ 89lbl which seems ok. I like the weight of the HD better but the EJ looks better. Just ordered a Gillette adjustable slim to try. Any other suggestions to try as I'm obviously in acquisition mode. Fatboy or Progress or something else.

How many have you tried before you found your absolute favorite?

There is always an absolute favorite amongst those razors I own, and I can never be sure I will not stumble upon one I like even more. Relax. :wink2:

...oh, and welcome here!

I own about 18 razors, I find myself reaching for a Weber with a UFO handle the most frequently. I also used a Merkur 23c which had the same head as your 34.

Maybe try a Gillette NEW SC and/or LC and a Gillette Superspeed 40s and/or flare tip. I have been really pleased with both. Also I think it was said before that everyone should have a Gillette old type in their collection. Keep on man and enjoy the ride.

Three thoughts for your consideration:
1. Welcome to the forum,
2. I'm still looking for my favorite but I have a good candidate; and
3. The DE 89 series is better looking than a 34c but I cannot really say one is measurably better than the other. What I can say is you should really consider a slant; the 37c is affordable and readily available on the B/S/T and from various vendors.

Three thoughts for your consideration:
1. Welcome to the forum,
2. I'm still looking for my favorite but I have a good candidate; and
3. The DE 89 series is better looking than a 34c but I cannot really say one is measurably better than the other. What I can say is you should really consider a slant; the 37c is affordable and readily available on the B/S/T and from various vendors.

thanks I'll keep my eye open for a slant.

I would avoid Merkur purely because of the clumsy QC. Many of them look like they leave the factory line with chunks out of 'em. Not my cup of tea at all.

I started with a 33C which was a great DE to start out with but as I learned I found it wasn't aggressive enough.

Then I moved on to a Slim adjustable and Fat Boy. Much better, until I tried a 37C slant.

The 37C is definitely my favorite but I still use My Fat Boy occasionally.

Top Bottom