What's new

RazoRock "Amici" Brush

Used the Amici this morning with some LASS. I absolutely love the weight of the handle and I like the ergonomics as well. For me, the brush needs to break in some more, but I was not disappointed whatsoever. I can't wait for this bad boy to break in. I am elated to report that the attributes of the brush overrule my OCD for the handle seams.

On another note: why is my OCD getting worse as I age? ha!

Well, I used my Amici for the second time today. I was really blown away. I often struggle to get great lather because of my hard water, but today was different. I pulled out my Valobra Almond and after loading the brush, I went to my Captain's Choice lather bowl and went to town. I thought I had gotten it too wet as the lather was pretty thin and bubbly to start with. Still not used to loading on anything even partly badger as I have been using mostly boar for about a year. As I worked it though, it started to just explode. I ended up with a 4 pass shave (first time ever) and still had enough left over to shave a yeti, a big foot, and a yak. Just piles of the great lather, washing down the drain.

But, all that to say it was some of the best lather I've gotten to day with any soap/soft soap. I liked it so much I'm thinking about turning 2014 into the year of the Soft Soap and Samples. I have some valobra, cella, and 8 different RazoRock soaps to work my way through. Throw in 3017ing my samples, and it could be a great year.

I've read and re-read the XXX reviews. I am maintaining my vow to wait until spring to order it...so far... I'm putting some change aside to purchase a nice straight razor (once I become more proficient with my training straights...) but I fear the irresistable urge to buy the XXX!!!![/QUOTE]

I hope Joe gets XXX back in, after hearing reviews I was going to order some for my son for Christmas but it's not there.

Here's some info from Joe's Facebook:

Quick info update...

We have about 100 piece of XXX-T still in the warehouse. I pulled it off the site until Friday evening... the reason being...

A lot of guys are waiting for RazoRock for Captain's Choice Bay Rum; I don't want XXX-T getting sold out before Friday and the guys patiently waiting to miss out. They shouldn't have to pay shipping twice, that's not fair.

I don't imagine the rest of XXX-T will last long as many people seem to be buying 3-6 at a time, so just a heads-up for clarity.

I honesty didn't foresee this type of demand for these soaps but I guess it's a factor of the holiday season as well; I'm still not so good at planning and forecasting.

When XXX-T gets sold out, it will make a return, but that return may not happen for 3-4 month (at least) because it has to go into the artisan's production schedule.

Cheers, and great shaves to all!

Looking forward to breaking mine in. To be honest I'm not a fan of boar but I have never tried Semogue boar or mixed. It seems like this is a good opportunity for me. Hopefully this little bad boy will break in quick and destroy some Tabac/Mike's. It is hard for me to be open minded with a den full of high end Rooney/M&F brushes. Looking forward to the experience and sharing it with my fellow RR fans!

Quick info update...

We have about 100 piece of XXX-T still in the warehouse. I pulled it off the site until Friday evening... the reason being...

A lot of guys are waiting for RazoRock for Captain's Choice Bay Rum; I don't want XXX-T getting sold out before Friday and the guys patiently waiting to miss out. They shouldn't have to pay shipping twice, that's not fair.

I don't imagine the rest of XXX-T will last long as many people seem to be buying 3-6 at a time, so just a heads-up for clarity.

I honesty didn't foresee this type of demand for these soaps but I guess it's a factor of the holiday season as well; I'm still not so good at planning and forecasting.

When XXX-T gets sold out, it will make a return, but that return may not happen for 3-4 month (at least) because it has to go into the artisan's production schedule.

Cheers, and great shaves to all!

Joe clearly needs an industrial engineer on staff...just sayin'

Just glad to hear XXX will likely be available and was not just a one-time run.

I was hoping to add a tub or two, to my Post Sabbatical order, but doesn't look like that is going to be a reality now.

Once the Captain's Bay Rum hits, the XXX will be gone overnight.

That's great to hear about XXX guess I'll have to get on his FB more often and looking forward to the CCBR soap. This morning I used RR Bergamot/Neroli intense hard and even though not tallow it's really nice. Should be picking up my Amici later today, the waiting is the hard part.

Can this Day get any longer.!!!!!!!! I just got an email update that my package is out for delivery and it should be at my home when i get outta here today from work. It should contain my Amici Brush and other fine products from Razorock. Oh man i cant wait to get home.

I gave my Amici the day off yesterday since I've been shaving with it every day since its arrival. I used it this morning and the hair/bristles feel softer than before. I guess it's breaking in nicely. I'm really addicted to the handle on this brush. I have big hands and my other brush handles are nice, but the Amici has a handle that really works for me.

I've read and re-read the XXX reviews. I am maintaining my vow to wait until spring to order it...so far... I'm putting some change aside to purchase a nice straight razor (once I become more proficient with my training straights...) but I fear the irresistable urge to buy the XXX!!!!

You looking at vintage SR or something like a TI/Dovo?

You looking at vintage SR or something like a TI/Dovo?

I'm thinking that I'll likely buy something new. If I learn to care for a new one then I can eventually learn to provide the necessary care for a vintage, IMO. I saw some really nice TI straights on Fendrihan that were sold out. Sorta tire kicking at the moment.

I'm hoping that our beloved Joe from Italian Barber explores making a 6/8 RazoRock straight razor...Joe..? Joe...Are you there, Joe????

I'm thinking that I'll likely buy something new. If I learn to care for a new one then I can eventually learn to provide the necessary care for a vintage, IMO. I saw some really nice TI straights on Fendrihan that were sold out. Sorta tire kicking at the moment.

I'm hoping that our beloved Joe from Italian Barber explores making a 6/8 RazoRock straight razor...Joe..? Joe...Are you there, Joe????

TIs are a good choice. IMO Fendrihan is probably not the best place for a beginner to buy a straight though as it will come to you with a factory edge. If you are already into honing then that might not be an issue but if not then I would suggest classicedge.ca. Phil at classicedge is a well regarded honemeister in the GTA area and he will put a fantastic edge on any blade he sells and he also offers one free resharpening.

If you are in the GTA, there are often SR meetups that are great places to learn about SR shaving and honing. There is a group in the meetups section of another forum (the SR one, hint hint). I learned so much from going to a couple of these meetups. Highly recommended if you have the chance.

Sorry guys if I was stirring the pot over the other forum and their LE. I haven't paid any attention to how that has gone, nor would I as I refuse to have anything to do with that brush maker (that can probably fill in the blank). I was just curious why not one thread or post over there that I could find talked about the Amici, but like I said as well, I don't really care too much because I'm happy and so are so many other guys. And thats what ultimately matters.

John beat me to the FB update from Joe about the XXX. I said it on FB but I'll say it here too. Thats pretty cool that Joe would think about giving guys a better shot at it who are waiting for CCBR by halting sale of it. Can't say I've ever seen a vendor do that, and it speaks to how much he cares about his customer base.

Amici use #2 today! Much of the same as use #1. I didn't get the best of lather today, but it was good enough. The brush remains stiff and dense, yet I'm hesitant to mash it more than I usually do. Thats not my style ;) Though I said I'm usually against it, I may do some extra work with it in between shaves to move it along. Believe me, I have zero complaints with it, its awesome. But it has managed to fool my expectations of it and I may need to change my approach slightly to bring out its full potential. I've also used it with some soaps I haven't totally dialed in yet, so next time it'll go with a tried and true favorite. :)

When you guys expecting today or soon receive yours, please update us and the table!

Sorry guys if I was stirring the pot over the other forum and their LE. I haven't paid any attention to how that has gone, nor would I as I refuse to have anything to do with that brush maker (that can probably fill in the blank). I was just curious why not one thread or post over there that I could find talked about the Amici, but like I said as well, I don't really care too much because I'm happy and so are so many other guys. And thats what ultimately matters.

John beat me to the FB update from Joe about the XXX. I said it on FB but I'll say it here too. Thats pretty cool that Joe would think about giving guys a better shot at it who are waiting for CCBR by halting sale of it. Can't say I've ever seen a vendor do that, and it speaks to how much he cares about his customer base.

Amici use #2 today! Much of the same as use #1. I didn't get the best of lather today, but it was good enough. The brush remains stiff and dense, yet I'm hesitant to mash it more than I usually do. Thats not my style ;) Though I said I'm usually against it, I may do some extra work with it in between shaves to move it along. Believe me, I have zero complaints with it, its awesome. But it has managed to fool my expectations of it and I may need to change my approach slightly to bring out its full potential. I've also used it with some soaps I haven't totally dialed in yet, so next time it'll go with a tried and true favorite. :)

When you guys expecting today or soon receive yours, please update us and the table!

I found mine to be quite stiff for face lathering as-is. I was going to try to use it to break it in, but I may have to give it the ol' test lather every other day treatment until the boar starts splitting

I found mine to be quite stiff for face lathering as-is. I was going to try to use it to break it in, but I may have to give it the ol' test lather every other day treatment until the boar starts splitting

Yep.... thats what I'm thinking...

TAKE IT TO THE BOWL, BABY!!!
:biggrin1:

TIs are a good choice. IMO Fendrihan is probably not the best place for a beginner to buy a straight though as it will come to you with a factory edge. If you are already into honing then that might not be an issue but if not then I would suggest classicedge.ca. Phil at classicedge is a well regarded honemeister in the GTA area and he will put a fantastic edge on any blade he sells and he also offers one free resharpening.

If you are in the GTA, there are often SR meetups that are great places to learn about SR shaving and honing. There is a group in the meetups section of another forum (the SR one, hint hint). I learned so much from going to a couple of these meetups. Highly recommended if you have the chance.

Thanks. I'm down near Windsor, so it's not like Toronto is around the corner. But, I will definitely consider your advice about classicedge.ca. I'll probably wait until around summer time to order a nice, new SR. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sharpening advice I received on my SR thread. The poor guys there have explained lapping film to me at least three times!! :confused1

Thanks. I'm down near Windsor, so it's not like Toronto is around the corner. But, I will definitely consider your advice about classicedge.ca. I'll probably wait until around summer time to order a nice, new SR. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sharpening advice I received on my SR thread. The poor guys there have explained lapping film to me at least three times!! :confused1

Haha, honing is probably the biggest barrier for most people to get into or stick with SR shaving. Its really hard to learn via discussion forums. Youtube videos are helpful but I never really "got it" until I saw it in person and had someone walk me through it. I bet you can find people in Detroit area that hold SR meetups.

I actually went to the University of Windsor. I miss Tunnel BBQ :(

Haha, honing is probably the biggest barrier for most people to get into or stick with SR shaving. Its really hard to learn via discussion forums. Youtube videos are helpful but I never really "got it" until I saw it in person and had someone walk me through it. I bet you can find people in Detroit area that hold SR meetups.

I actually went to the University of Windsor. I miss Tunnel BBQ :(

Tunnel BBQ...Still open but not the booming business it was back in the day. I definitely plan to learn the honing part of SR shaving, but right now (and the next few months) are really, really busy. Lots of travel sports with the kids and work has been crazy.

I received some good advice from a couple guys and picked up two cheap straight razors: Whipped Dog sight-unseen and a Golden Monkey. I'll order some lapping film and learn to keep the edge sharp using that, my strop and the balsa with paste.

I can only use the SRs when I'm not rushing in the morning. Those days I'm still using a DE.

Gentlemen, I would like to offer some break-in advice for your Amici brushes. I have a SOC SE and BC Mistura and I have broken them in before shave #1. Not fully, I am sure, but a good majority of the boar bristles on my mixed Semogues were split before my first shave with either brush. So here goes. This is not reinventing the wheel and I am sure it has been documented somewhere, but since many of you gents are discovering the special properties of this mixed hair knot and its stiffness, I figure it won't hurt to try this approach. It certainly works on all-boar brushes and it worked on my two Semogue mixed brushes.

First thing is to thoroughly clean the knot form all the manufacturing residue that may or may not be on the bristles. I use my regular shampoo for this, no soap. I soak the knot first for a few minutes, then lather, rince repeat a few times. Just like when I wash my own hair. First time I rinsed the shampoo the lather came off grey and a few stray hairs were in it as well. Second lather rinse cycle yielded clean lather. I did a third just for a good measure. Both my brushes had a good amount of funk, but that doesn't bother me. After the initial shampoo I shook the water out of the knot thoroughly, then towel dried the brush. then let it dry for about half hour. After that, when it wasn't fully dry yet (and I think this is important) I worked the tips of the knot on the back of my strop and on a waffle textured napkin I have. Both those surfaces are a bit rougher than the terry towel. I did this vigorously, but without mashing the hairs, only working the tips. I did this for like 5 minutes. Worked it in circles, straight lines, turned the handle in my hands, etc. When I felt that the knot is getting dryer I stopped and let it dry completely overnight. Next day I repeated the same thing and I already saw a few split ends at that point. After the second round I shaved with the brush and it already had many split ends. Mind you, this is still a very stiff and dense brush. I don't think it will soften up too much as the stiffness comes from the incredible density of the knot. The smaller BC Mistura knot is slightly less stiff and feels softer, but has the same amazing personality.

I hope this was helpful. enjoy your brushes, gentlemen!

Good advice! Thanks!

Top Bottom