What's new

My New Brush Holder (Barber Shop)

I have a very small set of cabinets in my station and my counter space is very limited so I needed to think of a way to fit them in where they would be accessible, wouldn't take any of my precious cabinet or counter top space, required very little in the way of station modification, and would hopefully look good. I came up with quite possibly the simplest holder ever.

$20130718_153827.jpg
$IMAG0223.jpg
$IMAG0224.jpg

It's hard to see, but I just took a scrap piece of wood, sanded it and cut 5 holes across then screwed it into the bottom of the counter. It's the same color, blends nicely, and makes the brushes sort of the center piece of my station.

Last edited:
Great setup! I like where you put your brushes. My eye is drawn right to them.

Yeah, it was admittedly unintentional. I just like symmetry where possible and it sort of ended up there. With the DeWitt right behind it, it's almost perfect. Like a bouquet in the middle of a dinner table.

I had mentioned earlier today in another thread that I had promised some progress on turning a salvaged wood column into a freestanding barber pole. As an update to that I want to say that the good news is it's stripped and sanded...the bad news is I need to find a globe to fit the top somewhere and I am still intimidated by the notion of striping it....tedious work.

You guys can expect more output from me in the near future on that (if you're interested)

Last edited:
I gotta say, I'm getting envious of the folks out in Charleston right now! I'm still looking for a barber out here in L.A. that is willing to do a traditional wet shave ... no luck yet :( I really like your station, classy and functional. What kind of brushes are those? and what software do you use for the lather?

I gotta say, I'm getting envious of the folks out in Charleston right now! I'm still looking for a barber out here in L.A. that is willing to do a traditional wet shave ... no luck yet :( I really like your station, classy and functional. What kind of brushes are those? and what software do you use for the lather?

I only do the face shave for a select few, after hours. It's dificult to do in our shop because we do not take appointments. We are walk in only and the click track rythm of a walk in shop is not to be interrupted. Also our stations are not spaced very far apart and an ill timed turn of another barber chair or an unhinged kid could be disastrous. I do, however do headshaves and truly skin tight flat tops and high and tights on the regular. As for software I use Proraso in the classic green tube.

Looking superb there. The eye is drawn at first to the brushes and the the other parts of the kit you have. Brilliant. Sometimes simple is best.

Go to Hollywoods. Cutting edge re: pompadours, tatoos all over the place, hipster Rockabilly kind of a place. Look 'em up on Facebook and You Tube. They also own the Lay-Rite pomade rights.

What brushes are you sporting there? At my shop I keep a Grand Shaving custom synthetic, a Omega long handled Pro, TOBS synthetic, and after I get the knot put back in, a Gifts and Care HUGE professional.

What brushes are you sporting there? At my shop I keep a Grand Shaving custom synthetic, a Omega long handled Pro, TOBS synthetic, and after I get the knot put back in, a Gifts and Care HUGE professional.

I use generic pure badger brushes. Those were originally labeled GBS but I have since found a Chinese source.

Very nice setup. Hmmm, I do have a half bath in the basement that I call "my" throne room I could remodel except my son uses it and it's always a mess.

Very nice setup. Hmmm, I do have a half bath in the basement that I call "my" throne room I could remodel except my son uses it and it's always a mess.

I can sell you a barber chair to go in there, a bit rusty...I mean it has patina

That whole station just screams classy!

Meh. The cabinets are still bare wood from stripping. I need a 72 hour block of time to stain and varnish so hair doesn't get stuck in the finish..some of our lights are still out due to bad ballasts. I work at this stuff as I get a chance. I am not the owner so progress is slow.

Top Bottom