What's new

List some soaps that are NOT thirsty

It seems like I hear about how this soap is really thirsty, that soap is really thirsty, be sure to add plenty of water, etc.

So what are some soaps that are NOT thirsty?

If this thread really gets rolling I'll compile a list in this post of the thread's soaps.

An honestly innocent question, but what difference does it make in the lather building or shaving qualities? Water is not terribly expensive so figure I can afford to splurge if I need to. I, too, is folks talking about "thirsty soap", but just always figured this meant relatively how much water I would need to add to get a good lather. As I face lather, I prefer a drier brush just so that water and lather don't run all over when I mash the brush against my face.

To me, a "thirsty" soap is one that can hold more water, which I think is a good thing. Some soaps don't do well with more water. It is really a matter of a few drops here and there. I tend to like "thirsty" soaps because I like a very dense, very wet lather. Some soaps are better at producing that type of lather than others.

I agree with TallyShave- soaps that seem to take more water typically hold more water, and for me, perform better. But to answer the OP's question, I find MdC to be non-thirsty. One can also get lather easily with Tabac with little water, but Tabac gets REALLY slick when you let it drink. FWIW, I find Tabac to be a better performing soap than MdC. Maybe that is why. If Tabac smelled like MdC, I'd use nothing else.

I find I can add a ton of water to Tabac or any of the Mike's soaps I have. MWF, however, I can easily over saturate and turn to soup.

Perhaps "thirsty" means that if you don't add sufficient water the soap is far less protective than if you do. Less tolerant of a lack of sufficient water.

I know VDH can be shaved with hardly any water and still go okay. For me it is not a thirsty soap.

To me, a "thirsty" soap is one that can hold more water, which I think is a good thing. Some soaps don't do well with more water. It is really a matter of a few drops here and there. I tend to like "thirsty" soaps because I like a very dense, very wet lather. Some soaps are better at producing that type of lather than others.

Appreciate the explanation. I have always been afraid that "thirsty" meant they would ultimately end up being runny. I add a few drops of water to the soap before I lather (while I soak my brush), then add more drops when it looks like it would do some good in producing the lather. Do you try to put in more water, or just play it by ear as you go?

Appreciate the explanation. I have always been afraid that "thirsty" meant they would ultimately end up being runny. I add a few drops of water to the soap before I lather (while I soak my brush), then add more drops when it looks like it would do some good in producing the lather. Do you try to put in more water, or just play it by ear as you go?

I should have added that that is just the way I think of the term "thirsty" with respect to soaps. Others likely think of it differently. I think I have a similar routine to yours. I essentially load heavy (very heavy) on the puck with a fairly damp brush and add water to the extent I think it needs it. Loading heavy, while adding water during the loading process, seems to work best for me. I rarely add water once I begin face lathering.

I should have added that that is just the way I think of the term "thirsty" with respect to soaps. Others likely think of it differently. I think I have a similar routine to yours. I essentially load heavy (very heavy) on the puck with a fairly damp brush and add water to the extent I think it needs it. Loading heavy, while adding water during the loading process, seems to work best for me. I rarely add water once I begin face lathering.

Should also add that, for me, adding water to the brush after I have started face lathering is always a mistake! Always end up with lather running down my face and flying around the bathroom. A real mess!

+1

Also thirsty soaps tend to have a much wider window for additional water needed for creating a good lather. This allows you to customize the lather thickness/viscosity for your tastes.

Top Bottom