What's new

Grapefruit Pie

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Decided last night make a grapefruit pie. The grapefruits are ripe so I picked a some off the tree and put it all together and we shared a slice this morning. It was oh so delicious. We are going to the ranch for a four day weekend of deer and hog hunting and I am going to make one for each day.

$image.jpg

martym

That looks awesome, I've wanted to try making a fruit pie for ages

Thanks
They are awesome and very easy to make. The only time consuming part is preparing the grapefruit. But nothing difficult.

martym

well done!!

good luck with the hunt!

Thank you!

We are looking forward to it. So far we have harvested 10 deer and a whole mess of hogs.
We are shooting for 50 does and 37 bucks this season.
Game management--it seems to work well.

martym

Is it just fruit, sugar and gelatine?

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
pinch of salt
1 3/4 cups of water
1 pack strawberry jello

place all dry ingredients but the jello in pan, add water and mix to get rid of lumps and bring to a boil. It will thicken and become almost clear. remove from heat and stir in jello. Transfer to a bowl and place in fridge or freezer to cool. Allow to cool to point it is thickening like jello and stir in fruit.
I use ready made pie crusts and brown them in the oven. Then pour in mixture and place in fridge for a few hours to allow pie to set.
for the grapefruit I use about 5 large ones (rio stars). I cut off the top and bottom and place flat on cutting board and then cut off the skin. I then wedge them into a collendar to drain.

very simple

i am sure you could use any jello to match the fruit you have on hand.

martym

I grew up eating grapefruit.
I have family who live way up north and they eat grapefruit with sugar.
Here in south texas some eat them with salt.
We have rio star grapefruit in our back yard. They are very sweet! Much sweeter than ruby red grapefruit.

I guess it just depends on what you are used to eating.

Looks good. I got to eat a couple grapefruits the other week(the first of the season) and they were phenomenal. Got to love Texas! I eat them with a little bit of salt myself.

martym

You poor folks. There's a guy just walked past my house with a cooler full of tamales for sale.

We have a place here named Delia's Tamales. They ship all over the world.
They have chicken and cheese tamales that are to die for.
They are online.
disclaimer: I am not affiliated with them in any way. My deer and pork tamales are homemade.

They are online.
disclaimer: I am not affiliated with them in any way. My deer and pork tamales are homemade.

Oh my gosh, I now want Tamales! Deer tamales, sound amazing!

They are online.

Hence the reason they need to stop in Fort Worth :tongue_sm

Top Bottom