What's new

My Thanksgiving Find

I spent the past week visiting my Daughter's home along with my grandchildren in Milford DE. While there I decided to look through the antique stores around Milford and Harrington. There was an extreme DE drought. I was told that they rarely ever see them, REALLY, UGH. My last hope was a shop in Milford on Black Friday. They had been closed during the first part of the week. Lots of stuff but not very well organized. If you like civil war, WW1 and WW2 stuff you may like the store. Anyway, while I was there the owner came in and I told him of my quest. He did not have any DE's (surprise) however, he did have an Ever Ready travel set. Well, I could not go home empty handed. Wow, did it ever clean up nice!. A little Scrubbing Bubbles, Dish soap with OXY, a final rinsing with alcohol and some MAAS and it looked like new. Only a couple of very minor surface scratches on the head. Under the head it is marked; American Safety Razor Corp New York. Underneath the head assembly it is marked; Ever Ready Patented March 24/14, Made in USA. Except for a few minor scratches on the case everything looks almost new. I especially love the 3 original blades. They were asking $25.00. I told them I would pay $20.00 and they accepted. I don't think I over paid since everything is in such nice condition. I've seen some cheaper (biding price) on the bay but they either didn't look as nice or did not have all of the components. Even though the patent date is marked March 24/14 is there any way I can tell the manufacture date? I could not find any information on the web.

$ER 1.JPG$ER 2.JPG

There's no reliable dating scheme for the SEs. You have a 1914 model. Very pretty. That handle is not particularly common.

Well, it looks to me that you have a 1914 Ever-Ready SE razor set. Congratulations! It is one of my most favored SE razors from the earlier years. The 1914 model was manufactured from 1914 to about 1929.

Very nice find at a great price. Like the others have said, the 1914 is one of the SEs and the handle is a bit more rare. Are you going to put it to use?

You're one lucky SOB. Especially since you got the case in such nice condition, usually the cases are either a wreck or missing completely.

Very nice find at a great price. Like the others have said, the 1914 is one of the SEs and the handle is a bit more rare. Are you going to put it to use?

As soon as I get the nerve to try it. I have to get some blades. I know I can get GEM blades at a local drug store. I'm sure they would be better than the scraper blades at Lowes or Home Depot. I'll keep my styptic pencil and alum block handy just in case, lol.

Well, it looks to me that you have a 1914 Ever-Ready SE razor set. Congratulations! It is one of my most favored SE razors from the earlier years. The 1914 model was manufactured from 1914 to about 1929.

Yup, they were manufactured through the '20s, and perhaps a little later and they are sometimes referred to as 'shovel heads'. The high polish chrome finish on these is usually spectacular should really sparkle when cleaned up and polished. These sets were generally produced in the mid-to-late 20's. Good catch.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom