What's new

Telling the Praises of Frankenrazors

Frankenrazors; a term I first learned here on B&B. My first frankenrazor consisted of a Lord 1822L base & cap on top of Tech handle. It worked as a travel razor, but I always worried about losing it which meant I lost the Tech handle.

Being frugal (spelled C h e a p) I was always looking for the best value for the money and, with the exception of 34c I picked up in BST, always tried to spend less than $20 USD for my razors. That is how I stumbled onto the Cadet OC. A couple of other threads chronicled my experiences with that beast out of the box.

Another member, Jarick, told of how he married the Cadet handle & base with a Lord cap to tame it. I tried it, liked it and that frankenrazor is my favorite. The 34c dropped to second place.

So with the pieces left over; a second Lord cap, the Cadet cap, two Lord bases and a Griest handle; I married the Griest handle with a Lord cap & base cap. This marriage, while not made in heaven, has produced a great at-home razor to add to my two razor rotation. Last week I married the Cadet cap to to the remaining Lord base and mounted them on the Cadet handle. Wow, great shaves! This became my third favorite razor and it makes a great travel razor.
So, my tiny collection is now three-fifths frankenrazors and two pure-breds.

Thanks for reading about my foray into the world of frankenrazors. Frankenrazor users; what is your creation and how did you stumble across it?

My best Frankenrazor is a Stahly head on a Tradere handle. Prior to that, the Stahly had been riding on a cooncatbob Bull Mastiff handle, but the Tradere is much more balanced.

I've tried other combos, juggling pieces between various 3-piece razors, but nothing I tried really excelled at its task like the Stahly / Tradere.

Does anyone else have the nagging fear that when you start swapping pieces between different razors, that you won't be able to figure out the what-goes-where to put them back to original?

attachment.php

GDCarrington: I tried my Cadet Base/Lord Cap combo on the Griest handle, but the weight was too much to handle (no pun intended). So, for now, the Griest does duty with the Lord base and cap...Until I get a itch for EJ base & cap. I saw someone who sells the EJ w/o the handles. UK I think.

GDCarrington: I tried my Cadet Base/Lord Cap combo on the Griest handle, but the weight was too much to handle (no pun intended). So, for now, the Griest does duty with the Lord base and cap...Until I get a itch for EJ base & cap. I saw someone who sells the EJ w/o the handles. UK I think.

Center of Gravity and balance can have a large affect how a razor performs and is definitely one of the issues where personal preferences come to the forefront.

I use a variety of my Gillette New heads on several handles. Weber, ATT, Traders, Cadet. I get consistently better shaves using a 3 piece head on a heavier handle.

This is a bump to an old thread, but I wanted to give my shout out as a Frankenrazor Fanatic, too. My two go to razors are a Gillette New LC head on an iKon Bulldog II handle and a Gillette Travel Tech head on a Weber Classic handle. Just this past week, I got an iKon OSS with the Bulldog II handle. Even though this seems to be the perfect razor for me, I can't imagine I'll ever quit using my trusty Franks.

$photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is a bump to an old thread, but I wanted to give my shout out as a Frankenrazor Fanatic, too. My two go to razors are a Gillette New LC head on an iKon Bulldog II handle and a Gillette Travel Tech head on a Weber Classic handle. Just this past week, I got an iKon OSS with the Bulldog II handle. Even though this seems to be the perfect razor for me, I can't imagine I'll ever quit using my trusty Franks.
+1 I like using my NEW LC replate (first two passes) then my English Tech for the last pass. Both Razors heads are on Weber Bulldog handles.

+1 I like using my NEW LC replate (first two passes) then my English Tech for the last pass. Both Razors heads are on Weber Bulldog handles.

Sounds like we were doing much the same thing. My Travel Tech is English made, as well. Since I've gotten the OSS, I've been doing the first passes with the OC side and finishing with the Closed Comb side. It feels very similar, but I'm still not all that keen on the over sized head of the iKon. And besides, Frankenrazor is just plain fun to say :biggrin1:

I've been using my Frankenrazor for about 3 years now. I started out with a Pre-War Fat Handled Gillette Tech Head (Triangular Holes) on a Weber Bulldog handle. It was wonderful and that lasted me until the other day.

Now, I've tried Maggard's M3 Stainless Steel handle with my Tech head and have fallen in love with it. The weight, heft, and gnarly grip seal the deal.

I do love the original Fat Handle from the Tech, but I like something solid. Something that can survive a fall from a cliff, if need be.

Lately have been using a Sabi T1 handle with a 2013 R41 baseplate and one of Aimsport's Spitfire 3D caps (which is designed to make a 2013 shave like a 2011). I think of it as an 11, but in fact it doesn't have a single part from the 2011 R41.

No Frankens here, but interchangeable tops, bases, and handles can make for some interesting combinations.

Ahh....the Frankenrazor. Nothing wrong with switching it up and adding some electricity. ABC handle with NEW LC and a NEW De Luxe paired w/ ATT Atlas.

Attachments

• $IMG_2271.jpg
    $IMG_2271.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 87
  • $IMG_2833.jpg
    $IMG_2833.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom