What's new

Omega 48 Pro - Impressed!

I'm a seasoned boar brush user and thought my current stable was pretty darn good. I recently found Omega 48 for $12 shipped on amazon and decided to try it based on the good reviews it gets.

So far - I'm very impressed. First of all - the quality & density of the boar bristles is very good. The knot is big & very dense. The bristles are firm but soft when wet (wet feel, not dry feel is what matters IMO). The handle is very functional and fits in my hand perfectly. I can see why this is the workhorse for pros in Italy.

It's lost a few bristles in the first few lathers - but in my experience this happens with every new boar brush. I have high hopes on the ends splaying over time and this brush holding up.

All I can say is - I'm sorry I waited so long to try it and I'm sorry I spent money on several mid-range badgers along the way. If you like boar brushes - try this one today!

To finish - I quote Razorock_Joe who says "There is no better value in the traditional wet shaving world than the Pro 48 and 49 (in my opinion)... and this is coming from someone that owns a shaving brand (that isn't Omega!"

Good to hear from someone with a lot of experience with boar brushes. I think the 48 is a great brush. Of course it whips up lather in a bowl like crazy, but despite it's size I have used it for face lathering too. The bristles don't splay nearly as much as the two Semogue brushes I've owned (610 and SOC). So it doesn't feel all that large on my face.

Good to hear from someone with a lot of experience with boar brushes. I think the 48 is a great brush. Of course it whips up lather in a bowl like crazy, but despite it's size I have used it for face lathering too. The bristles don't splay nearly as much as the two Semogue brushes I've owned (610 and SOC). So it doesn't feel all that large on my face.

I exclusively face lather and infact prefer large brushes (>60mm knot) to do so. So far the Omega has done a great job at it.

The Semogue VS Omega discussion often comes up - and my view is that while the Semogue is a well made and prettier brush - where Omega (esp the 48) truly shines is value for money. The rest is personal preference but 48 wins the bang for buck game - IMO

I face lather with my 48 and have no problems with it. But as it is my first and only current brush, I don't know if I'm "missing" anything or not. All I know is it's inexpensive (I won't call it cheap), and very functional. I don't think it has a bad smell, and it feels very soft on my neck. Sometimes I wish the handle wasn't plastic, but then I remember how little I paid and it's working just fine.

Omega 48 is a very good brush and very reasonably price. Works great or both bowl or face-lathering.
It can be a bit moppish & floppy, but with deft hand, it does the job.

I exclusively face lather and infact prefer large brushes (>60mm knot) to do so. So far the Omega has done a great job at it.

The Semogue VS Omega discussion often comes up - and my view is that while the Semogue is a well made and prettier brush - where Omega (esp the 48) truly shines is value for money. The rest is personal preference but 48 wins the bang for buck game - IMO

You think it wins the value game here (in the US)? I bought mine at a store in Italy for literally a few Euros. Best shaving deal of all time ... maybe I'll have to try to buy Arko in Turkey for a comparable bargain.

You think it wins the value game here (in the US)? I bought mine at a store in Italy for literally a few Euros. Best shaving deal of all time ... maybe I'll have to try to buy Arko in Turkey for a comparable bargain.

Omega 48 is currently $12 shipped in the US. I can't think of many other brushes in this price range that match the Omega 48. Any others that come to mind?

This is just my second brush after upgrading from the boar brush that came with my VDH Premium Shaving Set I bought to start out. I thought for the price and with its reputation, the Omega Pro48 was worth a try.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and the jury is still out. It makes a much better lather right in my Proraso Green tub, but so far I actually prefer the shorter, stiffer bristles of the VDH brush. I tend to grasp the bristles of the Pro48 above the handle so they don't splay out so much when I apply the lather to my face, but I actually kind of liked the more intense "scrubbing" sensation of the cheap VDH bristles.

Thus begs the question: what are the advantages of a softer brush other than more efficient creation of lather? Even though I do a thorough shower prep using lots of water, soap and scrubbing with one of those nylon "puff ball" things, I tend to consider the initial application of my lather in a circular motion kind of a final exfoliation of my face and a softer brush doesn't really seem to provide that.

It would also seem a more stiff, coarse brush would do a better job at lifting hairs and working lather in under them.

I guess everybody prefers a different brush, but aside from the quicker lather-generating ability of this softer brush, I don't really understand the advantages of a softer brush and am wondering if I am missing out on something. It seems like the higher you go up the food chain, the softer brushes like the badgers are held in higher regard so there must be a good reason.

I will say the softer, longer, splaying bristles of the Pro48 do put a smoother final finish of lather on my face when I use it in kind of a swiping "paintbrush" motion. Perhaps that's part of the appeal of a softer brush?

As I continue to evaluate this brush, I want to make sure I'm considering every aspect of it from the design to the way I'm using it before I make my final decision on whether to continue with it or go back to the VDH. I really don't want to use the VDH just for my initial lather application/exfoliation then use the Pro 48 for subsequent latherings.

Last edited:
I received the Proraso (Omega) Pro Boar brush similar to the Omega 48 a few months ago and I can't believe how good it is for the price.

Ben

after 20 uses, the brush improves its quality.
Remember: italian soaps work in best way with omega 48...when i use Cella, proraso, with badger brush the results are not comparable to the one with omega 48

My first shave brush is the Omega 10066, and I love it. The Omega's seemed to be a value brush for a noob starting out. I have used it a week and I am very happy with its performance, not that I have anything to compare it to. I purchase the 10066 because it is a little smaller than the 48, and I read on this forum that many complained that the 48 was to big.

The Omega 48 was my first and only brush for over 10 years now. I have been satisfied with it all this time and have only recently ordered a badger brush from Shaver Joe. It should arrive tomorrow so I'll have an opportunituy to see how it compares. He made it based on the Omega 48 size but since we could not have a badger knot with that much loft, the handle was shortened 1cm to make the proportions look better. I'm looking forward to trying the badger but I'll have the bristle brush in rotation too.

I got mine from Amazon to boost by order total to over $35 for the free shipping, it ended up only costing me $6.
Lets just say it the best $6 I have spent on shaving.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I have that brush also. The hairs have split very nicely and is very soft after a break-in period. It tears up soaps and loads nicely for face lathering.

Top Bottom