What's new

What makes Mitchell Wool Fat Soap so popular?

Big fan of Mitchell's here. I think lots of people are intrigued by the fact that it has been around since the late 1800's. It comes in one scent, and I think it does a great job too.:wink2:

Like others have said, it's the post shave feel for MWF that really sets it apart for me. I can get just as good a shave from Tabac, Cella, Mike's and VDH Luxury, but none compare to MWF in terms of post shave feel and that's why it's my number one soap.

Of those I named, Mike's comes the closest to MWF. Also, while I don't consider MWF to be particularly hard to lather well, Mike's is certainly easier to get a good lather from.

...was simply curious what makes "The Fat" so popular, despite it's apparent short-coming (learning curve?)?
I have hard water, don't mind using bottled/filtered water, I have pretty sensitive skin,

If you are willing to use distilled water (filtering won't help) & know how to lather other soaps - you will have no trouble with MWF. Also, if you have sensitive skin - MWF is a good fit.

Performance is one of the best and price is very fair (~$7-8/puck shipped from UK vendors).

Apart from that - nothing except trying it for yourself will tell you if MWF works for you.

Mikes is the closest in my experience. I used to have trouble lathering MWF but I tried Marco's method and now I get great lather every time.

Well, I am a member of the Order of The Fat. That should explain much. I love this soap. It is a point of contention with a lot of others on this forum about the difficulty in producing a good lather. I am one of the lucky ones and haven't had those issues. I was able to use the Marco Method with da Fat and it worked flawlessly.

Few soaps can produce the rich lather you get with MWF (Tabac, DR Harris, Cella to name a few). Even fewer still have the skin conditioning properties that MWF does. I have heard good things about the Haslinger's Ewe's Milk. Once I am off the GRUC I will give it a shot. The post shave feel you get with da Fat is truly remarkable. If you face lather, it is even more pronounced.

There are many that are comparable and some that are superior, in all aspects.

If you want to be in the "fat" club, just to say you're in the club, knock yourself out.

But, there are many soaps that match or best the results of MWF with a TON of less effort.

It's a combination of a few factors. One, the history and the bowl are cool. Two, there is the mystique involved with lather technique, it really pleases people when they can make a quality lather with MWF. Finally, the soap does perform well when lathered properly. In my opinion it performs comparably to any other high end soap, I don't understand the post shave feel that people talk about. I get the same feeling from most good soaps, plus after a rinse and a post-shave product, I doubt that you'll really feel the after effects of a soap much. Just my opinion, it does work really well for a lot of people, but there are a lot of soaps that are easier to lather that work just as well. YMMV

It's like the old Washington Post commercial: "if you don't get it, you don't get it." If you have to ask the question, you don't get it. The Fat is the 8th wonder of the world. (well, maybe a tie with W&B 8/8 straights)

To me the slickness and post-shave feel set it apart.
Tabac performs similarly but is easier to lather.

MWF, for me, lathers with ease and offers my skin great protection and comfort. Is it the best? I don't know...I haven't tried every soap out there. But it seems to be the benchmark for a lot of other soaps out there, and that has to say something.

I was uncertain of the scent at first, but it's light, and soapy smelling. Nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom