What's new

What makes Mitchell Wool Fat Soap so popular?

Is it the ingredients? The scent? Both?

Is there anything remotely close to it's shaving properties? (slick, great performing soap for sensitive skin?)

Thinking about Mama's Bear (unscented and/or mentholated soaps) & Mikes as possible other options, but I'm just getting my feet wet with soaps, so-to-speak, and was simply curious what makes "The Fat" so popular, despite it's apparent short-coming (learning curve?)?

I have hard water, don't mind using bottled/filtered water, I have pretty sensitive skin, and my lather making ability is "ok", and getting better as I read more, watch more YT videos, and practice lathering every day.. :blushing:

I don't know if "The Fat" is for me, yet. For those who have, or do use it, is there ANYTHING that is comparable, and easier to lather? I'd like to get my hands on a "sample" before getting a larger puck.

Thanks! :thumbup:

In my opinion, it's the post shave feel that really sets it apart from all others. You don't even realize what a great shave you had with MWF until a couple hours afterward.

Ben

In my opinion, it's the post shave feel that really sets it apart from all others. You don't even realize what a great shave you had with MWF until a couple hours afterward.

Ben

+1

I've only had two shaves with the Fat so far, and it's fast becoming a favorite. It takes a bit more time to lather than other soaps, but when it does finally come together, it's great. Not as thick and cushiony as Tabac (at least not for me, but I still don't think I've gotten it right just yet), but it is very slick, and your face feels great all day.

I agree with Ben...but I also love the lather. I haven't found any better. If you want to try something similar, take a look at Mike's Natural. I also love the scent of da Fat, but some call it perfumy and others say it just smells like soap. I think you can get a sample from Whipped Dog.

Ben

And then there's the Great Mother Sheep and her acolyte Lanny...but we don't talk about that.

Last edited:
MWF produces great cushion, but in my opinion it's only okay when it comes to slip. I think it's a great soap for DEs, but I couldn't use it with straights.

As for scent, to me it smells like an old sheep skin rug, maybe with a bit of oatmeal sprinkled over top. It's best feature, as has been previously mentioned, is that you get to say 'wool fat' a lot ... no, I mean the post shave skin protection. It's great for cold/dry air days.

As for better and easier to lather than MWF - definitely. B&M and Mike's both produce better lather more easily. I also give the nod to P160 (which is out of production - so ignore that one. But I think the other Italian soft soaps behave similarly. I will be checking out Panna Crema today). Wool fat :biggrin1: is good stuff, it's not the be-all, end-all of shaving soap... but then none are.

wool fat wool fat

Last edited:
Haslinger Schafmilch (Ewe's Milk) is similar to MWF. Both have lanolin, somewhat nondescript "clean" scents, and fabulous post shave feel. They are both marvelous, but the Haslinger is easier lather, IMO.

Last edited:
Don't let the Mother Sheep hear you...:blink:...except the "wool fat" part. :thumbup1:

MWF produces great cushion, but in my opinion it's only okay when it comes to slip. I think it's a great soap for DEs, but I couldn't use it with straights.

As for scent, to me it smells like an old sheep skin rug, maybe with a bit of oatmeal sprinkled over top. It's best feature, as has been previously mentioned, is that you get to say 'wool fat' a lot, no, I mean the post shave skin protection. It's great for cold/dry air days.

As for better and easier to lather than MWF - definitely. B&M and Mike's both produce better lather more easily. I also give the nod to P160 (will be checking out Panna Crema today too). Wool fat :biggrin1: is good stuff, it's not the be-all, end-all of shaving soap... but then none are.

wool fat
wool fat

I can take her.

< arms himself with mint sauce and rosemary sprigs>

(Actually I hate the mint sauce, never understood that one.)

I once read there had been a shortage of lamb in England. The king decreed lamb must be eaten with mint sauce, so the people wouldn't eat so much.

I can take her.

< arms himself with mint sauce and rosemary sprigs>

(Actually I hate the mint sauce, never understood that one.)

MWF is a classic, and a great performer. I get comparable results with Mike's, D.R. Harris, and Arko, and also from C&E West Indian Lime (a non-tallow soap), but I would never be without The Fat.

Smart guy. I like that explanation.

I wonder, was there once a shortage of french fries in N. America, so they decreed you must squeeze rancid tomatoes over top of them? Is there a similar origin that explains Tabac?

Are we off topic yet?

wool fat

Well, there you go. Exactly the opposite of my experience. :lol:

I knew I hadn't gotten it figured out yet!

+1 on Haslinger Schafmilch (Ewe's Milk) as a much easier-to-lather alternative (and the Haslinger soaps in general are excellent performers), as well as Mike's soaps as excellent performers, including great ingredients and post-shave feel. I look forward to trying B&M. I myself like MWF, but I don't regard it as a standout among my 25 or so soaps.

Well, there you go. Exactly the opposite of my experience. :lol:

I knew I hadn't gotten it figured out yet!

Yes, I find it a bit strange too. The lather feels slippy on the fingers, but it's almost as if a blade cuts straight past the soap and goes directly to the skin. Also the slip component feels slightly more viscous to me than some others. Whatever the case, there are several that seem to provide me with noticeably better lubrication.

Using Marco's method, I got a lather easily out of MWF and it provided a nice slick lather. It was my first time using MWF and was surprised at the people complaning about the lather it produced. I had no trouble in lathering it and it produced a ton of lather.

+1 on Haslinger Schafmilch (Ewe's Milk) as a much easier-to-lather alternative (and the Haslinger soaps in general are excellent performers), as well as Mike's soaps as excellent performers, including great ingredients and post-shave feel. I look forward to trying B&M. I myself like MWF, but I don't regard it as a standout among my 25 or so soaps.

+2 to Haslinger. I think MWF is a really good soap but I also think it is over rated because it is a lather rite of passage. You have to use it eventually though,just to know for yourself and use it in comparisons.

Top Bottom