What's new

Pipe smoking and pets

I'm hoping that you gents might have some insight on this.

Thanks to this forum and you fine folks, I've really gotten into the pipe over the past month or so. I've become an every day pipe smoker, usually 2-3 bowls a day. I smoke in the house since I don't want to be relegated outside by it given how long a bowl takes. My fiancee smokes cigarettes (outside only) so she doesn't mind. We don't have kids, so that's not a concern. We do have two dogs, however.

Yesterday, one of our dogs was obviously not feeling well, pretty lethargic and just not acting like himself. I'm guessing that he probably just had a bug of some sort because he seemed to be doing better this morning. In trying to figure out what was going on with him, this got me thinking about what kind of effect my pipe smoke might have on the dogs.

I know that this is ultimately a decision that I need to make for myself, but what are your thoughts on pipe smoke around your family pets? Does it concern you? As I said to my fiancee, the dogs are short and the smoke rises, so maybe it isn't a big concern.

I'd just like to hear opinions on this from the non "smoking is evil" types.

Thanks guys!

Smoking is EVIL!!!

No but seriously, I would never smoke around my pets unless it is well ventilated.

I used to have a snake, and if you were to smoke around him his health would be detrimentally affected. Although dogs are bigger still it isn't a good idea.

Here are some articles on the matter, although they are about cigarette smoke I still wouldn't risk it. I love my two cats and would never do anything that might harm them in any way.

Articles:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2336998/Passive-smoking-just-bad-PETS-cancer-too.html

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...ttes-and-smoking-impact-your-pets-health.aspx

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/smoking-endangers-animals-too.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070831123420.htm

http://www.pawssf.org/document.doc?id=12

Smoke does rise, but then it mixes very well....your dogs are certainly breathing it in. I have a number of pets that would be quickly affected by pipe smoke, but short of a specially-ventilated smoking room, I would never smoke inside (smoke does terrible things to your paint, flooring, fabrics, etc), so it is not an issue. You may want to consider joining those of us who smoke outside only.

Maybe the solution would be to set up one of our spare bedrooms as my "office". We've talked about doing this anyway. Then i could make sure the door sealed up well and get a fan for the window and go in there to smoke if I don't want to go outside. That might be the best compromise on the issue.

Maybe the solution would be to set up one of our spare bedrooms as my "office". We've talked about doing this anyway. Then i could make sure the door sealed up well and get a fan for the window and go in there to smoke if I don't want to go outside. That might be the best compromise on the issue.

This is what I do. I don't smoke daily, but when I smoke, I smoke in the office with the door closed and the window open. I do have one cat that kind of likes it I think - I kick her out when I light up, but then she scratches at the door 5 minutes later when the room is filled with smoke so I let her in. Then she hangs out for 20 minutes and wants to leave again. Afterwards, I keep the window open and the door closed for the next 12 hours to air the room out.

But, that's just me and I only light up about 4 or 5 times a week max at home. If I smoked multiple times a day though, I think I would make a point of staying outside to smoke.

I smoke outdoors during the week because my apartment is strictly non-smoking, so it's a non-issue for the cats there.

At the farm house I smoke inside, but I'm still not smoking that many bowls a month there. I figure the cats have feet and can walk away if they don't like my smoking. They often do just that. I go out of my way to not blow smoke in their faces. It seems to be working for all of us.

Whether their health is affected or not, I think this is a great idea. Don't have to worry about the pets AND you get a smoking den! Win-win!

Whether their health is affected or not, I think this is a great idea. Don't have to worry about the pets AND you get a smoking den! Win-win!

The more I think about the idea, the better it gets! Fiancee is all for it as well. I happened to pick up a free desk this week, so now all I need is a window fan and a comfy chair and it should at least be functional!

Well I personally smoke outside...every time. It's pretty easy for me since my better half is very allergic to smoke. I might at times have my dogs on the deck or patio with me but outside is much different.
I'd be curious to see how your den comes together though.

I went into the room and looked around when I got home from work today (we moved into the house about a year ago and don't use the room for anything, so I never have a reason to go in there), I'd forgotten how small it is. It'll be tight, but it'll work!

I don't smoke a pipe, but I do smoke hookah a few times a month. This thread just got me thinking, I will eventually be in a situation with a half empty room and a recliner. Until we use it for something else, sounds like a good smoking spot.

Part of the agreement when I got the pipe was not smoking in the house. Don't think I would want to anyway. I would never smoke around my dog. Though she passed away last year she was the most precious part of my life second only to my wife. I would not risk her health for anything.

Birds, I am told, have weak lungs and cannot tolerate a number of things in the air. Therefore, I smoke outside for the sake of our conure (and my wife though she often comes out to the patio with me). Other reasons to protect the bird includes having the carpet cleaned; the solution can be bad. Also, no oven cleaning unless the bird is banished to a back bedroom with towels stuffed under the door.

Birds, I am told, have weak lungs and cannot tolerate a number of things in the air. Therefore, I smoke outside for the sake of our conure

This is a classic example of double standards. All sorts of animals live outdoors. Won't someone please think of the tigers. And frogs. And elephants. And ants. And blue whales. And possibly bigfoot. Personally, I think you should only smoke inside, to save the poor fluffy creatures that you're now **forcing** to share your space. What if bigfoot died because you were too selfish to smoke inside?

**really hopes nobody thinks that was a serious post**

[sarcams]This is a classic example of double standards. All sorts of animals live outdoors. Won't someone please think of the tigers. And frogs. And elephants. And ants. And blue whales. And possibly bigfoot. Personally, I think you should only smoke inside, to save the poor fluffy creatures that you're now **forcing** to share your space. What if bigfoot died because you were too selfish to smoke inside?[/sarcasm]
I fixed it for you!

I like the idea of having a designated room for smoking. I don't know which would be preferable, having a lot of hard surfaces that could be cleaned or having lots of rugs, wall hangings and such that could simply be disposed of once they absorbed too much smoke odor.

Luke might consider having a smoking jacket that stays in that room as well. If not a real smoking jacket just a long bathrobe should do the trick.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Dad smoked Winstons when I was growing up in the late '50s-'60s. He smoked inside, or wherever, like most everyone did then. It was rude not to have an ashtray on the coffee table in those times.

Had inside dogs, mostly Boston Terriers. Guess that's why they died after about 15 years or so. Also had parakeets...they seemed to live out the life span.

This is a classic example of double standards. All sorts of animals live outdoors. Won't someone please think of the tigers. And frogs. And elephants. And ants. And blue whales. And possibly bigfoot. Personally, I think you should only smoke inside, to save the poor fluffy creatures that you're now **forcing** to share your space. What if bigfoot died because you were too selfish to smoke inside?

**really hopes nobody thinks that was a serious post**[/COLOR]

Great post. I hope everyone knows that smoking tobacco outside, along with smoking brisket, ribs, etc. and grilling hamburgers causes global warming. Your killing bigfoot. :scared:

Sorry...off topic. This post was about inside pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is what I do. I don't smoke daily, but when I smoke, I smoke in the office with the door closed and the window open. I do have one cat that kind of likes it I think - I kick her out when I light up, but then she scratches at the door 5 minutes later when the room is filled with smoke so I let her in. Then she hangs out for 20 minutes and wants to leave again. Afterwards, I keep the window open and the door closed for the next 12 hours to air the room out.

But, that's just me and I only light up about 4 or 5 times a week max at home. If I smoked multiple times a day though, I think I would make a point of staying outside to smoke.
You own a cat, so you should know this by now. The cat is clawing to be let in because you made it get out. I think it is a law of physics- cats can be found exactly where you don't want them to be.

Top Bottom