What's new

Canadian Old Type confusion

This Old Type came in a Empire set:

View attachment 113695

As can be seen, it is not stamped "Made in Canada", but the guard does have a serial # of PC 74562.

I was reading this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126292

and this is close, but missing that stamping under the guard. When I got the Empire I figured it wasn't the right razor and didn't pay any attention to it, but this week I picked up the right razor for that case (Danger! - Off Topic! but I got to show it) :w00t::

View attachment 113697

View attachment 113699

and then I started looking at it.

So my question is, does the lack of the Made In Canada signify anything?

thanks!

-jim

PS. I actually have another PC serial # razor in standard Old Type hollow handle ball end, also without markings under the guard.

dude, I am not sure about your question, but I do own a canadian old type that looks almost exactly like that, except I have the stamps.... As far as I know, these razors are rare.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

/EDIT: I just realized that you linked to my thread lol.... I posted before clicking the link... As far as I know, this is the 3rd such razor to ever rear its head on these forums... Another member also has one, but I cant find the other thread.

Last edited:
it may be that, like an american gillette the logo was not introduced until a later year. I have at least a dozen gillettes that are made before 1915 that do not have a logo, but only a serial number. Then I have some gillettes with a serial number and a logo, that are a bit newer. then I have some gillettes that have no serial number that just have a logo, these are from the late 20's. I am sure canada did the same thing.

Dead thread walking! :wink2:

Yours is a different model from the earlier ones in this thread, though. You've got a standard Ball End there, where the others were thin-handled Ball Ends with the unknurled ball.

To answer Jim's original question here (from three years ago), it's perfectly normal for the early Pocket Editions out of Canada not to have the diamond logo nor the "Made in..." stamping under the guard. The "PC" serial number also fits perfectly with that.

Dead thread walking! :wink2:

Yours is a different model from the earlier ones in this thread, though. You've got a standard Ball End there, where the others were thin-handled Ball Ends with the unknurled ball.

To answer Jim's original question here (from three years ago), it's perfectly normal for the early Pocket Editions out of Canada not to have the diamond logo nor the "Made in..." stamping under the guard. The "PC" serial number also fits perfectly with that.

Whoops, my bad. Sometimes the similar threads links at the bottom throw me off and I end up posting in them thinking they're new!

Top Bottom