What's new

Benton's Bacon. Damn!

So tempting. I think my cholesterol just jumped 20pts just looking at it. My wife would kill me. Now only if uUPS dropped off packages at 3am on the side of the house.

I'm lucky enough to to have a friend from Knoxville, TN who grew up near Mr Benton. (Allen? Allan?) Every once in a while I see Benton on public TV or in Esquire magazine and mention it to my friend, who mentions it to Benton. Twice that has resulted in my receiving a free pound of Benton's bacon. I'm keeping my eyes peeled. ;-)

I'm tempted to try this, but after ordering Nueskes applewood smoked bacon, I'm a bit leery of heavily smoked bacon. The Nueskes was awesome top notch bacon the first few times I had it, then the overwhelming smoke started to get less appealing, even to the point that the kids didn't want it anymore. Maybe it was the applewood that didn't sit well, we're a hickory smoke bunch around here.

I'm tempted to try this, but after ordering Nueskes applewood smoked bacon, I'm a bit leery of heavily smoked bacon. The Nueskes was awesome top notch bacon the first few times I had it, then the overwhelming smoke started to get less appealing, even to the point that the kids didn't want it anymore. Maybe it was the applewood that didn't sit well, we're a hickory smoke bunch around here.

If you don't care for a very, very smokey meat you probably won't like Benton's bacon. My kids didn't like it because of the smoke and the salt.

If you don't care for a very, very smokey meat you probably won't like Benton's bacon. My kids didn't like it because of the smoke and the salt.

I might have to pass then. When I cooked the Nueskes, the house smelled of smoke for days, I think that's what killed the flavor of it. You smelled it every time you came in the house for days after cooking some, then when you cooked it again, it got less and less appealing. Maybe I should have moved the cast iron pan to the outdoor grill, because that first batch was the best bacon I remember eating.

I cooked a second pound of bacon yesterday and it was much better than the first pound. The first pound I cooked until it was crisp, the second pound I left a bit chewy. I think that cooking the bacon until it is crispy really concentrated the flavors and the salt. Leaving it a little chewy resulted in pretty tasty bacon. It was still salty but not as overwhelmingly salty as the first batch.

Bentons is my FAV bacon, But I agree very salty, but as Shawn says, leave it a little chewy and you have a home run!,:drool: Time for another order!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
it’s time to re-stock. 7 years later. 😳
E609B773-4030-4261-9741-8DA7750912BB.jpeg

Top Bottom