What's new

The Empty Glass Bottle

So I always say, and have seen many others say, a syringe is great for getting ink out of a bottle of ink that is almost empty, But does that actually happen ? has anyone ever actually emptied a bottle ?, if so what was it, what did you think of the ink ?, are you going to buy it again ?

I could have sworn Ian (Doc4) had a similar thread, but for the life of me I couldn't find it, something to the effect of "It happens so rarely tales of its events are like ghosts or legends, we should take note", although I added the tales and legends part

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/58528-The-Graveyard!

The Graveyard ... for shaving supplies.

No doubt we could use one for ink bottles as well, on the off chance that someone actually finds his way to the bottom of a bottle of ink ... presumably to ink up a pen to hand to Elvis so he can sketch a picture of our hero standing between the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/58528-The-Graveyard!

The Graveyard ... for shaving supplies.

No doubt we could use one for ink bottles as well, on the off chance that someone actually finds his way to the bottom of a bottle of ink ... presumably to ink up a pen to hand to Elvis so he can sketch a picture of our hero standing between the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot.

Scott ?

Well lets go with it, For you guys who actually accomplish this monumental task, take a picture and post away, sharing some thoughts of your time out with that bottle....

I should have called it "The Empty Glass Bottle, That's All She Wrote" lol

Last edited:
So I always say, and have seen many others say, a syringe is great for getting ink out of a bottle of ink that is almost empty, But does that actually happen ? has anyone ever actually emptied a bottle ?, if so what was it, what did you think of the ink ?, are you going to buy it again ?

I could have sworn Ian (Doc4) had a similar thread, but for the life of me I couldn't find it, something to the effect of "It happens so rarely tales of its events are like ghosts or legends, we should take note", although I added the tales and legends part

I've emptied a couple of samples from Goulet, but that's about it. And I'm not going to do a "sample burning" thread for inks. :biggrin1:

On the other hand, I'd love to see a 3017-style thread for inks. That could get kind of crazy though. A short international cartridge holds about 7/8 of a mL and it took 20 pages or so from a medium stub to empty it. So you figure with that pen alone, I'd have to write 50 * 8/7 * 20 = 8000/7 or 1143 or so pages to empty a 50mL bottle.

Edit: Wikipedia says the standard short cartridge is 3/4mL so to empty 50mL based on that equivalent would be 50 * 4/3 * 20 = 4000/3 or 1333 pages and some. Then again, the cartridges I have do have some air in them so they can hold more than 3/4mL. Still a lot of pages to write.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pelikan (multiples of the 62.5ml), Quink blue, Conway Stewart blue (a lovely favorite ink the couldn't be replaced), Lamy blue and blue-black, Waterman's Florida blue, new Slovenian Sheaffer, and Sheaffer King's Gold (another discontinued ink) are a few I can think of off-hand.

That CS ink bottle looks familiar, like Delta but something else... who made their inks for them ?

Those scrip bottles are neat as well, I don't think I would toss that either, it would be washed and refilled with something

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'd heard Conway Stewart made their own inks although finally discontinued all of their inks in, maybe, 2009. Very well behaved, a bit like Pelikan Royal (same looking bottle) but a shade darker.

Recently, CS has collaborated with Diamine for a new line up, I hope they don't feather for me like most of Diamine's do.

Emptied a 50ml bottle of Shaeffer Red. i didn't really like it very much, but it is the brightest red i could find at the time i purchased it, here, in Vancouver for marking my students' work.
It took 8 months using a Lamy Safari EF to empty.

I emptied a bottle, but not sure if it was ink. If someone can refresh my memoriy, I would thank them.

proxy.php

I doubt I'll ever empty a bottle, other that samples.

Bil: I'd love to see you try and 3017 a bottle of beam, sorda like a reverse 3017. LOL

Well, I haven't quite emptied a bottle of ink, but I have a few that I've drained down to the level where my old level fillers can't drink up any more ink. I guess I'll try to remember where I put that Sheaffer Snorkel, and get the rest of the ink out of 'em. I probably should explain - I'm in the process of writing a book and do it all longhand, with fountain pens, on legal pads. So I do go through quite a bit of ink.

Hit up a pharmecy see if they have a blunted syringe... you can suck up low levels of ink and inject into a converter

yes, well I only have two empty bottles at the moment, There is this nifty little store down the street see where they refill your old bottles.
$DSCN1526.JPG

$DSCN1527.JPG

I am sure that they still have paper from the first day they oped witch was in 1903 or so.

refilled bottles are below.

$DSCN1533.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That is a great bottle.

Yep, and tough to find. That bottle was a copy of an 1897 bottle design and was sold only as a part of a special boxed gift set (pen + ink) as far as I know, shown in a 1997 catalog. It has been rumored to be a different ink, I've only ever seen it in black with that label.

There are these 50ml bottles, however:

proxy.php

Top Bottom