What's new

Gillette Single Ring

I have a canadian 1905 Single Ring coming my way soon, And i was wondering if the Handle Cracks on single rings like they do on Old type Ball ends.
BTW, here is the serial:
C96530

Yes single ring handles are prone to cracking too.
The dating on Canadian Gillettes are not the same as US razors...I do not think Gillette was producing Canadian razors in 1905.

I have three Canadian single rings. 1 is cracked all down the barrel, and I think one of the others has a little crack too. Great shavers. The cracks dont affect the shave even if right down it like mine. One of my favourite razors and I used it last night.

I have a canadian 1905 Single Ring coming my way soon, And i was wondering if the Handle Cracks on single rings like they do on Old type Ball ends.
BTW, here is the serial:
C96530
Canada did not have a factory in 1905. The factory was in 1906. The cracks are normal on these razors. But i do notice they are not as common as the Old Types.

I don't have a canadian but I do have two single rings and neither has a crack in the handle. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

The dating on Canadian Gillettes are not the same as US razors...I do not think Gillette was producing Canadian razors in 1905.

Very likely the seller just read the 1905 Canadian patent date on the handle. The earliest plant in Canada was set up around the middle of 1906, and was only making somewhere around 35 razors a day before it burned down in January of 1907, according to the account of P.T. Flanagan in the July 1918 issue of the Canadian edition of the Gillette Blade. By some time not long after they'd gotten set up in their third location and were making on the order of 75 razor sets a day (also according to Flanagan).

Some pics of the razor -- is the serial number on the guard plate or still in the inner barrel? -- and the case, if it's got one, might help get a bit closer, but I'm happy to do a bit of conjecture. It's my personal belief based on what I've seen that the Canadian plant started out serial numbering their standard Single Rings with a "C" prefix and their Pocket Editions with a "PC" prefix. So if we assume that's correct then we can make a guess at your serial number representing their 96,530th razor.

Based on those production numbers they probably made only around 5000, at most, during that first partial year of 1906, and then ramped up to somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 per year in the years after that. I'd take a somewhat wild guess that your serial number would probably fall somewhere around 1910-1911. But really that should be taken with a very large block of salt.

Very likely the seller just read the 1905 Canadian patent date on the handle. The earliest plant in Canada was set up around the middle of 1906, and was only making somewhere around 35 razors a day before it burned down in January of 1907, according to the account of P.T. Flanagan in the July 1918 issue of the Canadian edition of the Gillette Blade. By some time not long after they'd gotten set up in their third location and were making on the order of 75 razor sets a day (also according to Flanagan).

Some pics of the razor -- is the serial number on the guard plate or still in the inner barrel? -- and the case, if it's got one, might help get a bit closer, but I'm happy to do a bit of conjecture. It's my personal belief based on what I've seen that the Canadian plant started out serial numbering their standard Single Rings with a "C" prefix and their Pocket Editions with a "PC" prefix. So if we assume that's correct then we can make a guess at your serial number representing their 96,530th razor.

Based on those production numbers they probably made only around 5000, at most, during that first partial year of 1906, and then ramped up to somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 per year in the years after that. I'd take a somewhat wild guess that your serial number would probably fall somewhere around 1910-1911. But really that should be taken with a very large block of salt.

When it comes to razors, I'll take your "very large block of salt" before most peoples "chiseled in stone".

Once again, Thank you Porter for this fascinating reading!

It doesn't have a case.
The serial no. is on the inner barrel.
what year would that Serial No. make it?
The Serial is C96530
Here are some pictures, sorry i didn't post sooner i have had a cold all week. (these are the sellers Pics BTW)
$single ring 3.jpg$single ring.jpg$single ring2.jpg

Attachments

• $single ring.jpg
    $single ring.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom