What's new

Temp. Gauge Kettle?

I'm interested in purchasing a new tea kettle. I've been considering one that has a built in temperature gauge.

The reasons for wanting to know the water temperature are obvious, but I'm just not sure which kettle to purchase.

Any suggestions?

I'd like one that is built into the kettle to avoid possible steam/water burn from a secondary thermometer.

The "Bonavita Electric Gooseneck Variable Temperature Kettle" is certainly one to consider. It is more tuned to doing coffee pour-overs, but works just as well for tea. I have the model without any temperature control, but this one should be better.

The "Bonavita Electric Gooseneck Variable Temperature Kettle" is certainly one to consider. It is more tuned to doing coffee pour-overs, but works just as well for tea. I have the model without any temperature control, but this one should be better.

It's slower to come up to temperature since it uses a PID. Very precise, however.

I use a Panasonic Thermo Kettle, which is much like the Zojirushie at half the price. It's a countertop model with four different settings. Mine has lasted me for a good 5 years of near daily use.

Those both look pretty good. About same price on Amazon.
About the Panasonic, what's the inside like? The outside looks like plastic, I'd hope the water doesn't boil in plastic?

I have it and love it.

Ben

Ben, Jasonian stated that it takes longer to get to temp. Do you find this to be true and if so, how much longer?
Thanks

Greg

I posted this a while back on Home Barista:

I watched it tonight while it took 500 mL up to 205 F starting at 10:32 EST with 73 F water:

Temps Measured in Fahrenheit:

140 in 1:30 min
175 in 2:24 min
185 in 2:45 min
200 in 3:18 min
205 in 3:47 min
206 at 4:00 min (slight overshoot)
205 F again at 4:45 min

...then 204 F, 203 F, 204 F, and 205 F (mostly 204 F) for the next twenty minutes.

Hope this helps.

I posted this a while back on Home Barista:

I watched it tonight while it took 500 mL up to 205 F starting at 10:32 EST with 73 F water:

Temps Measured in Fahrenheit:

140 in 1:30 min
175 in 2:24 min
185 in 2:45 min
200 in 3:18 min
205 in 3:47 min
206 at 4:00 min (slight overshoot)
205 F again at 4:45 min

...then 204 F, 203 F, 204 F, and 205 F (mostly 204 F) for the next twenty minutes.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. That is extremely helpful. I am seriously considering this kettle.

Top Bottom