What's new

jalapenos

ok,,,, tried to wash it out with now clean hands. went from burning eye lid to burning eye ball. this is not much fun at all!!! WOW!!!

I wish I had good advice to speed things up, but you will probably have to wait it out, let your tears flush the oils.

Ouch. Sorry.

went a lil crazy with the visine. at least i can open it now. mild burning, i can deal with it now. but holy smokes!!! at first....not cool.

You know you eat too many chillis when you instinctively rub your eyes with your knuckles, I've been doing that for years. But rubbing your eyes is the last thing you want to worry about, it can make bathroom trips rather painful :scared: and once I was with a girlfriend and we were... Well, getting a bit intimate. Apparently I'd not washed off all those chillis properly. She wasn't happy. We're no longer together.

There are 3 areas that should never be touched after handling hot peppers. Eyes, nose, genitalia. While having it in your eye is not the most pleasant experience, be happy you didn't make the mistake of heading to the powder room to relive yourself, and transferring capsaicin to your nether regions.

edit: ^^ wizard

Last edited:
Alcohol is supposed to get rid of the oils according to a chef friend of mine.

I used to make hot sauce and tried about 10 times to put contacts in after cutting up jalaps one night without gloves. Needless to say I ended up wearing glasses that night.

Capsaicin, the chemical that makes chillies burn, is only soluble in fats/oils or alcohol. Yoghurt, milk etc are the best thing for getting rid of it

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Too funny, I've rubbed also .. but the peppers here are really varied as to heat, at least the fresh ones, all looking like Jalapenos

I ended up in the shower after rubbing my eye after washing my hands like twenty times after making habanero sauce...

The now ex-wife didn't want anything to do with me for a few days either. She was smarter than the average bear...

There are 3 areas that should never be touched after handling hot peppers. Eyes, nose, genitalia. While having it in your eye is not the most pleasant experience, be happy you didn't make the mistake of heading to the powder room to relive yourself, and transferring capsaicin to your nether regions.

edit: ^^ wizard
Jalapeno's aren't that hot. The heat rating on habanero's is about 10 times more than a jalapeño. I grow my own and the stuff I grow would be 10 to 20 times the heat of a jalapeño. When you clean and cook really hot peppers you wear gloves and you still don't touch your face because the capsicum will soak through the gloves after a few minutes. It's wonderful.

Jalapeno's aren't that hot. The heat rating on habanero's is about 10 times more than a jalapeño. I grow my own and the stuff I grow would be 10 to 20 times the heat of a jalapeño. When you clean and cook really hot peppers you wear gloves and you still don't touch your face because the capsicum will soak through the gloves after a few minutes. It's wonderful.
Its when go disrespect the jalapeno and say its only a jalapeno and don't wear gloves it gets you into trouble. And not all jalapenos are created equal. Some are downright hot and I say that after eating stuff with super chili, habs or ghost chili's!

Top Bottom