What's new

Why Acqua di Parma?

I have a tub of AdP that has been sitting in my den for about a year now and every so often I dust it off and give it a lather. Generally, I forget that it's even there, as it doesn't excite me the way that many of my other soaps and creams do. I'm a fragrance junkie, but while I very much enjoy the smell of AdP, it tends to take a back seat to some of the more overt aromas I enjoy (lime ice, bay rum, barber shop, etc...).

Today I decided the time had come to whip up some AdP foamy goodness and while I thoroughly enjoyed the shave, from the aroma to the rich creamy lather, I realize that it provided nothing more than a good shave. It was no better than my TOBS or T&H, or any of the artisan products like Mike's, Mystic Waters, or Mama Bear's, that I regularly use. At least not in any way that I can identify. Of course, aroma is subjective, so that has to be taken out of the equation, but the quality of the lather, with respect to cushion and lubrication, is somewhat more of a concrete measure, I would think. As with every other time I've used it, I found that it was easy to generate a creamy, cushiony lather, but I could not identify any way that it was superior to any of the other products I mentioned. In fact, it may have been a little less slick than the TOBS cream I used yesterday. I'm going to try to use it exclusively for a week or two to give it a chance, but I just don't get why this product would sell for $60 when others sell for $10-$20 for a comparable volume.

I appreciate that the AdP name commands a premium. Not that it means anything to me, but I understand it. I'm just trying to understand if there is any noteworthy merit (besides the brand) that I'm just not seeing. Does anyone find that AdP is just head and shoulders above the other products they've used?

Cheers,
Rob

I have had the same experience as you, though I say it's better than TOBS for my money. Love the scent, though.

I think it is the best stuff out there, certainly not the best value but soap for soap it rules. At the start of reading I thought you might want to sell it off. I would buy.

I think it is the best stuff out there, certainly not the best value but soap for soap it rules. At the start of reading I thought you might want to sell it off. I would buy.

Yes, I see by your signature that you are dedicated to ADP. You mention it in the same breath as XXX. Is it a similar aroma by any chance? I like RazoRock products and I have been meaning to try the XXX but I have yet to pick it up.

Yes, I see by your signature that you are dedicated to ADP. You mention it in the same breath as XXX. Is it a similar aroma by any chance? I like RazoRock products and I have been meaning to try the XXX but I have yet to pick it up.

AdP and RR XXX are the same thing. The company that makes it wanted to keep selling to AdP for a premium, and therefore ended their relationship with RR, at least that's how I understand it.

Biochemica of Italy makes ADP and made 5000 units of XXX. Some have said they are not the same but close etc etc, color and texture can change with age but they are the same. XXX is discontinued I am sure because ADP has a luxury placement in the market and are not going to loose that, hence XXX is over. ADP is used at posh hotels, Ritz Carlton etc etc. The cost to make is no more than anything else packaging aside. $10.00 vs $65.00. It was said it was an experiment with perception and packaging (XXX vs ADP) and the reason it was ever made in the first place. I will take some unloved XXX when I can get it.

There are certainly soaps close enough at a much better price but I don't think there is anything better performance wise (forget scent). A few equally as good but when there is nothing better and you like the scent it is a benchmark soap. The XXX was the ultimate value and the ultimate soap at the same time if you liked the scent. I have tried most of the TOBS creams and I would always say ADP is much more slick, Being over a year old plus ADP tends to sit on shelves for that long due to the price I wonder how it ages. Check the water content in your future shaves and see if you think it is slicker I do.

Last edited:
shavefreak said:
I have tried most of the TOBS creams and I would always say ADP is much more slick

I certainly wouldn't argue there. I find the standard run of Creighton's creams in use by the English brands to be very middle-of-the-pack.

On the other hand, I find Spencer & Devon outdoes it, as do the RazoRock "karite" soaps, Provence Sante, etc - and they do things for my skin that XXX never did.

If soaps didn't last as long as they do, I would be more concerned about price of AdP.

I can't take american barbershop scents, and nothing else smells like AdP now and performance for me works, so its a win win.

As the saying goes YMMV.

IMO, ADP is superior to T&H and TOBS, in fact its miles ahead. But I guess everyone will have their own thoughts and comparisons.

While it's market and cost is on the luxury side of the scale, I believe the performance (without the scent) is well worth it. It takes a miniscule amount of cream to deliver a wonderful thick, dense yet meringue like lather. To me, a close comparison of the lather without the cost is Castle Forbes.

I was fortunate to get a tub of XXX via BST, and am looking forward to trying it once it arrives.

As the saying goes YMMV.

IMO, ADP is superior to T&H and TOBS, in fact its miles ahead. But I guess everyone will have their own thoughts and comparisons.

While it's market and cost is on the luxury side of the scale, I believe the performance (without the scent) is well worth it. It takes a miniscule amount of cream to deliver a wonderful thick, dense yet meringue like lather. To me, a close comparison of the lather without the cost is Castle Forbes.

I was fortunate to get a tub of XXX via BST, and am looking forward to trying it once it arrives.

+1 to what Tom says here

Craig

Good points all around. I love AdP and would consider it my favorite "luxury" soap and tied with Tabac for the no. 1 spot overall other soaps. My allure to AdP is primarily based on scent. There are so many soaps out there that perform flawlessly.... and only a couple that really stand out as being unique to me. MWF is one because of it's post shave feeling. Tabac is another because of its "user friendliness".... easy to lather and a slick, tremendous lather at that. AdP has it's scent and history.... and I enjoy the entire AdP line from soap, aftershave lotion, aftershave balm, and cologne. AdP soap on its own is one thing, but AdP as an entire line of luxurious grooming products puts it in a class all by itself. Of course, this is all very YMMV. I'm also a sucker for nice presentation and packaging.... and AdP takes the cake in that department. Some guys don't care one bit about that.... and there are times when I don't care all that much either and I'm perfectly happy with a mug of Van der Hagen shave soap.... but I've gotta have that glass jar with the shiney lid on the shelf for every now and then when I want a bit of luxury and history.

Ben

I certainly wouldn't argue there. I find the standard run of Creighton's creams in use by the English brands to be very middle-of-the-pack.

On the other hand, I find Spencer & Devon outdoes it, as do the RazoRock "karite" soaps, Provence Sante, etc - and they do things for my skin that XXX never did.[/COLOR]

Which Razorock soaps are karite?

I used to own this soap/cream and for me the amazing thing about it was how little you needed on your brush in order to make gobs and gobs of lather. Just a quick swirl or two at the most gave enough lather to shave my face and head three times over. That's pretty good value for money if you ask me. The post-shave feeling was also very good.

Having said that there are others that can give you that feeling, but the Colonia 'barbershop' scent/vibe is quite unique.

I've tried many different soaps/creams and there's only a handful that I've been more than impressed by that I will never be without a puck or tub (MWF, SMN, CF, & ADP). For me, ADP provides unsurpassed creamy slick lather, wonderful scent and calming/soothing moisturized skin. Yes, its expensive but it goes on sale twice a year so I make sure to buy a tub of cream and the EdT. And considering that a tub usually lasts me almost 2 years, the price is more than justified.

For me, ADP provides unsurpassed creamy slick lather, wonderful scent and calming/soothing moisturized skin. Yes, its expensive but it goes on sale twice a year so I make sure to buy a tub of cream and the EdT.

Where is it on sale twice a year? :blink:

Or is that what living in the US is like? :drool:

Where is it on sale twice a year? :blink:

CO Bigelow provides 20% off coupon codes several times a year. ADP products sell out very quickly.

Or is that what living in the US is like? :drool:

Everything is on sale, especially when ordering from Europe. Automatic 20% VAT discount! I can order 2 pucks of MWF from Carbolic in the UK and have it shipped for the same price as buying 1 puck in the US.

Last edited:
Perfectly stated - I could not agree more.

I gotta tell you guys, member Matt Denicola sent me a Stirling Gen 5 natural soap sample and it was off the charts for me. He was not exactly sure of the scent but I believe it was Tuscanny. If you like ADP it is in the ball park of sweet and masculine, performance was amazing and when I ordered the puck it was $5.00. I need to confirm the scent but it is super impressive with that slickness that lets you go over spots without re-lathering like ADP. I beleive water content in your lather has a lot to do with that but like ADP it holds it on the skin. I am crazy over the scent after my third shave with it.

I've tried many different soaps/creams and there's only a handful that I've been more than impressed by that I will never be without a puck or tub (MWF, SMN, CF, & ADP). For me, ADP provides unsurpassed creamy slick lather, wonderful scent and calming/soothing moisturized skin. Yes, its expensive but it goes on sale twice a year so I make sure to buy a tub of cream and the EdT. And considering that a tub usually lasts me almost 2 years, the price is more than justified.

Last edited:
Top Bottom