What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

I gave the Weck Medical version Sextoblade a shot this morning. The balance and feel in the hand is much more secure than my Sanguine. The longer blade (personna) made for easy work on my cheeks, but gave me some trouble below the jawline. I ended up with a handful of weepers on my neck and switched to a DE to finish the shave. I will give it another shot next weekend and really take my time to try and get the angle and pressure dialed in for the neck and chin. If I do end up liking the Sextoblade I will probably try to replace the stainless handle with some nice scales to improve the aesthetics.

1. duderdo- complete
2. Kentos- complete
3. TnutsShave- complete

4. ladykate- withdrawn
5. jrward2- up next!
6. sychodelix-
7. tomjr- withdrawn
8. Alum of Potash-

Still looking forward to trying the razor and a blade when it arrives. Don't know if this has been asked yet, but how do you think it might compare to a current-production Vincent barber's razor with a 58 mm blade?

Still looking forward to trying the razor and a blade when it arrives. Don't know if this has been asked yet, but how do you think it might compare to a current-production Vincent barber's razor with a 58 mm blade?
got pics/links? Haven't heard o' that one.
Unrelated, I hope to do a side by side, soon, of the Weck vs Durham Duplex.
Bil

An update after using it the past two days.

First holding it, it has the look and feel of an actual straight. Its very comparative in weight as well. I found the size of the fromm razor blade to be a great length. It holds just like a straight as far as the tang goes, the jimps and the notch on the spin are an added bonus as well.

Now to my first two shaves. I can't put my finger on what I'm getting from the performance of the fromm blade. It seems to be sharper and less smooth than what I would typically get from a regular straight. This has led to a few weepers on my cheeks. More than likely this is just due to me not being used to using the Weck, and hopefully as the week progresses I'll be able to adapt. However, I can say that I'm receiving no razor burn from the blade, a styptic pencil clears the small weepers right up. I think as the week progresses, and I get the hang of it, I will really enjoy it. I might even experiment on some crox. I'll update again later in the week.

Any updates on how you liked the Weck? Have been very tempted to grab a Sextoblade or hair sharper myself, but I'm waiting to try this one out.

I gotta tell you guys, I think KJ may have killed my traditional straight shave love affair, at least for the time being. I picked up my own sextoblade of the 'bay and I'm on 7 shaves with a Fromm hairshaper blade with no signs of slowing down...keep your eye out on the BST for all of my straight gear!:lol:

The Weck made it to my mailbox today. I'm saving it til tonight when I have more time and then it goes to work at beard sculpting. Will report back the results either tonight or tomorrow!

I just completed my first shave with the Sextoblade. First, you need to realize, I grew a beard, although a well trimmed beard that needs the neckline and near the cheeks shaved. As for anybody that has a beard...this is the ultimate beard shaping tool. Smooth, efficient, yet much easier on the face than a DE blade. The shave was effortless and cut free. The feel is not quite the same as a traditional straight, but very close. I have not used a Feather yet, but I did use the Feather Pro and the Kai Mild with the Cobra Classic SE, which uses the same blades. The blades feel very similar, probably somewhere between the Feather and Kai in aggressiveness. This is definitely something I would recommend to a newbie straight shaver over a broken DE blade holder. And honestly, it may be a viable solution to learn straight shaving at a low cost price point as well.

Overall, I'm very impressed. We'll see how things go for the next few shaves, but I definitely plan on getting one. I plan on stropping between shaves and if things keep going well, I'll give a head shave with the Weck a shot as well.

Stay tuned.

There was no guard with it--which I liked better. A few of my final thoughts I had after my week of shaving with it. The shaves got better as the week progressed, yet I was still getting a few weepers. The Fromm blade seemed to not completely agree with my face (Feather DE blades have the same affect on me as well). As far as the Weck went, I found it very comparable to a regular straight. I've been looking on the Bay for one that has some aesthetic qualities I like as well as a good price. I plan on experimenting with some of the other blades on the market. If I recall correct, wasn't it said that Personna made blades that fit as well? At any rate, I really appreciate the pass KJ, it has brought new light to my shaving obsession.

So I was actually just looking on the bay for Sextoblades. Here is one I found. Now I'm not trying to promote this razor or anything, but look at the fifth picture in the listing. I got a kick out of it and I figured it'd be appropriate to post it on here since it's relevant and you might get a laugh as well. Seems like the seller accidentally uploaded that picture.

So I was actually just looking on the bay for Sextoblades. Here is one I found. Now I'm not trying to promote this razor or anything, but look at the fifth picture in the listing. I got a kick out of it and I figured it'd be appropriate to post it on here since it's relevant and you might get a laugh as well. Seems like the seller accidentally uploaded that picture.

He does it on purpose. Look at some of his other sales. He's a dog lover (as am I). Kinda catchy - I liked it. Don't much like his prices but that probably doesn't matter.

There was no guard on it

I have a spare guard if someone wants to use it on the passaround. Just tell me where it is and I'll put it in an envelope to the next person - assuming it is OK with the owner!

Kinds of blades

Fromm, Personna seem the most popular. If someone wants to try a Pro-Mate, I'll send a few in the same envelope as the Guard and you can include them in the Passaround. At the moment, I like Pro-Mate best but the other two are very good, too. The only problem with Pro-Mate is that they are a little loose so you have to squeeze the holder to tighten it up. For the passaround, just a piece of paper on the spine of the blade will make it work (take it out after use, though).

Last edited:
...Fromm, Personna seem the most popular. If someone wants to try a Pro-Mate, I'll send a few in the same envelope as the Guard and you can include them in the Passaround. At the moment, I like Pro-Mate best but the other two are very good, too. The only problem with Pro-Mate is that they are a little loose so you have to squeeze the holder to tighten it up. For the passaround, just a piece of paper on the spine of the blade will make it work (take it out after use, though).

I found another Weck online and use that one with the Pro-Mates, I have only had one shave with that blade though so I cant comment yet but I had no luck shimming the blade to fit.

If anybody wants to try a couple other blades than mentioned here, let me know. Just make sure you have bandages and styptic on hand... :001_cool:

I found another Weck online and use that one with the Pro-Mates, I have only had one shave with that blade though so I cant comment yet but I had no luck shimming the blade to fit.

If anybody wants to try a couple other blades than mentioned here, let me know. Just make sure you have bandages and styptic on hand... :001_cool:

It might be tough to shim them - although others have done it and I've received them with shimming (tape and paper). For mine, I just crimped the holder a bit more. They fit fine after that... I could still use the normal blades but I can see modifying the passaround as a really bad idea. Disregard the Pro-Mate offer. Don't want to mess up a good thing.

I only asked about the guard because of my experimentation with the Durham. I tried my Weck with a guard a couple of times, but because of my one handed shaving style I had to reverse the guard too often, kind of a Pita. The Duplex being a DE solved that. I would highly recommend the Durham for a new user, that and the Weck with a guard.
Bil

Top Bottom