What's new

What is your EDC knife?

Legion

Staff member
This is awesome.

+1. Love when a knife has the character of the owner imprinted on it like that. The blade is in great condition for it's age as well.

I'm too fickle with knives. I swap and change them too often for any of them to get any real character. I do have the same model Buck, though. It lives in the "bug out bag" I keep in my long term storage locker. It used to live on my belt when I worked in the bush, but you can't EDC a proper knife in the city here.

+1. Love when a knife has the character of the owner imprinted on it like that. The blade is in great condition for it's age as well.

I'm too fickle with knives. I swap and change them too often for any of them to get any real character. I do have the same model Buck, though. It lives in the "bug out bag" I keep in my long term storage locker. It used to live on my belt when I worked in the bush, but you can't EDC a proper knife in the city here.

Thanks Guys.

Fun story about that knife. I used to be able to draw it an thumb the blade open it about as fast you could pop open a switch blade. I can't do that anymore due to age and arthritis.

One afternoon, one of the kids in my outfit showed up with a butterfly knife. He was told when he bought it that it was a super knife, with super steel, hand made, blah blah blah. This kid was an obnoxious punk before he got that stupid knife and even worse afterward. His bragging got tiresome and I asked to see his knife. He handed it to me, I popped mine out and proceeded to cut the edge off of his knife. I sliced a sliver of steel just as long as the blade was. Gave him his knife back and then shaved a patch of hair off my arm with mine.

Told him this was one white boy he didn't want to mess with. He took what was left of his toy without saying a word and never talked trash around me again. ;)

If you compare the blade on my old knife to a new one, you can see that the blade is about a fourth gone from sharpening. It's got that old really hard steel in it that made Buck famous. They changed the heat treat some years later to make the knives easier to sharpen. I've had a couple of 110's since that one and ended up giving them away and going back to old faithful. :)

Love my old ('70's & '80's) bucks. You can hear how hard those blades are. My main EDC knife is a Benchmade Mini-barrage. It's not a small knife, and it's a solid and has excellent build quality. I'll switch it out with a SOG Blink, CRKT Ishiro, Kershaw Chive and a few others.

It's got that old really hard steel in it that made Buck famous. They changed the heat treat some years later to make the knives easier to sharpen.

Yep, when Buck first got into 440C they were making them VERY hard. Most folks were still used to sharpening carbon steel blades and putting an edge on that stuff was a whole different animal.

I've got a General around here somewhere (too big for what I typically need/carry) but it took me a long time to figure out how to put an edge on it.

Sweet knife!

Ken

Yep, when Buck first got into 440C they were making them VERY hard. Most folks were still used to sharpening carbon steel blades and putting an edge on that stuff was a whole different animal.

I've got a General around here somewhere (too big for what I typically need/carry) but it took me a long time to figure out how to put an edge on it.

Sweet knife!

Ken

I have a General also from the late '80's, what a knife. I've used mine for cleaning a few deer and it's still razor sharp, with no chips. I've gone to smaller knives for hunting, but I still usually have the General in my pack or truck, just for good luck!

Just came in last Friday. I usually carry my Kershaw Leek, or Ka-Bar folder, but this is so dang pretty! $photo.jpg

I just picked up a ZT200 so that's my current EDC. I figure I have a couple months to save for a ZT350 b/c that's how long it will take for me to get sick of lugging around 8oz :lol:

I just picked up a ZT200 so that's my current EDC. I figure I have a couple months to save for a ZT350 b/c that's how long it will take for me to get sick of lugging around 8oz :lol:

Yep, that's up there for a basic EDC. I hate going over 5 (and I really have no reason to) For task specific, sure, but as a daily tool... no.

Ken

I have several. My knives get pretty beat up working around a lot of metal type products all the time. I really like the couple of Enlans I have. I use Moras quite a bit. I have recently gotten a new Alox SAK. Jonesing for a DH Russel / Grohman's fixed blade.

Mine is an all-blac Kershaw Leek. Before that it was a Gerber that I had for eight years before losing in the backcountry of New Mexico.

Its a Boker Magnum Senior with burl wood handle. Real Damascus steel, no etching or designs and I'm really enjoying the edge that this l'il beauty keeps!

Cool, thanks. I'm not as familiar with the Boker line as I am with some. I found the same info about it being "real Damascus" but nothing about what steel (or steels) were used in the formation. Any idea?

Regardless, it's stunning and as long as it holds a great edge, what else could you ask for, eh?

Ken

I've seen blades with damascus etching over stainless, and they are passing off a process that naturally creates the Damascus. Here's a link to Boker regarding their steel and process, I think you can find it early in the catalog. I've seen other Damascus blades made by William Henry and the amazing Bob Kramer (who's kitchen knives haunt my dreams.)

Check it out:

http://www.boker.de/us/pdf/2012-1_premium_collection.pdf

I've seen blades with damascus etching over stainless, and they are passing off a process that naturally creates the Damascus.

Etching needs something to etch. It defines the layers. It doesn't create them (I'm sure someone has tried simply etching steel but that isn't the norm on better knives)

Most common cores to be clad seem to be VG10, which is a fine steel for the edge. And Damascus over carbon as well. There are several very nice super blue/Damascus clad knives out there.

I wouldn't call either of those "passing off as" If the (modern) concept of Damascus is strictly for looks (as no Damascus can really add function to high end modern steel, the concept of carbon distribution by hammering out thin layers will loose big time to particle metallurgy :biggrin1: ), then cladding it over a really high end core seems a great compromise between art and function.

There is a big push into non Damascus cladding as well to give added toughness, corrosion resistance and/or grindability to a blade as well. I see where Crucible is working on an S90V core clad with 154CM. That is an interesting combination.

Here's a link to Boker regarding their steel and process, I think you can find it early in the catalog.

They seem to have several. Lots of words but not much information on the actual materials used.

and the amazing Bob Kramer (who's kitchen knives haunt my dreams.)

Yeah, no kidding. They are beautiful.

Ken

Camillus 6.5" Folding with Marlin Spike.

IMHO just a great tool in the office or aboard.

It's cheap (Got mine for $40 USD) - I'm not afraid to use it or damage it.

Both the blade and the spike lock - somewhat rare in this breed of folder.

The blade opens easily with the thumb stud - one hand for the boat, one hand for yourself.

It fits very easily in my pocket, so I have it on me when I need it.

The spike is strong enough to open a stuck shackle, and blunt - to part fibers rather than breaking them.

The blade's grind is not razor sharp, but is toothy - good for cutting line. I didn't feel the need to sharpen it out of the box, and haven't resharpened it yet (it's still pretty new).

The scales are textured G10 - grippy, but not at the expense of ripping out my pocket.

My only complaint is that it's black. Sure it looks cool, but it's really hard to find in the chart table at night, or when dropped on the cabin sole (right after finding it in the chart table...). A wrist lanyard in yellow accessory cord will be woven on to the bail this weekend.
$Camillus.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom