What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Good to know. My mind says, "Buy that Gem Jewel at any cost!" but my whiskers wouldn't even know the difference.
I agree. I would like to have one, to match my Streamline, but I'm not going to pay what those are going for now. (I did for my SL, but not as much incentive now.). I think once the price keeps going up, some will hit the market and drive the price back down. At least I hope. I have one to shave with, though. I can be picky.

Valuation update. With 8 days left there is a very nice cased single jewel on EB already at $66.00 I think that will be a record when you add in competative last minute snipeing. Though I like to see prices go higher this is looking to be an unusually high priced sale.

That would be duanek's

The Streamline (and other) buying and razor worshiping phenomenas, on B&B, were partly artificially created by a few posters who had obtained high guru standing, mostly by bluster, sounding wise and putting out frequent postings. They would charge in with reports of amazing shaves that were almost orgasmic. A week later the same posters would decide that razor wasn't so hot afterall...and had yet another nirvana razor to offer, create a club around, or give it a cute name.

Hype, spin and a measure of charm and storytelling skills. Very little data, long-term experience, and calm evaluations.

Interestingly, several of the Hyper Pied Pipers no longer post on B&B. Moved on to a new fiefdom...in cyber land.

Last edited:
The Streamline (and other) buying and razor worshiping phenomenas, on B&B, were partly artificially created by a few posters who had obtained high guru standing, mostly by bluster, sounding wise and putting out frequent postings. They would charge in with reports of amazing shaves that were almost orgasmic. A week later the same posters would decide that razor wasn't so hot afterall...and had yet another nirvana razor to offer, create a club around, or give it a cute name.

Hype, spin and a measure of charm and storytelling skills. Very little data, long-term experience, and calm evaluations.

Interestingly, several of the Hyper Pied Pipers no longer post on B&B. Moved on to a new fiefdom...in cyber land.

While I agree with some of your evaluations,when it comes to the streamline it truly is a superb razor in both build quality and shaving prowess. There is alot of hype with some things on the board but the streamline is not one of those products.Of course,as always,YMMV

So you're who cornered the market... ;-)
:oops::wink2::innocent:

Truth be told, I've been singing the Streamline praises since before this madness began. When I was just learning about SE's, I saw a post by Haiku of a NOS Streamline he had acquired but there were very few posts about them at the time. I though it was the best looking SE I had ever seen so I resolved to get one. Put a bid in on one and won it. I was so excited as it was a set and looked good and the seller said it was in mint condition. Well, I got it and the razor is ok but it turned out to be an old streamline and the blade bed has been dinged a little (definitely not mint but it was my introduction to the scammers on E-bay). In no way does it affect the shave however my OCD says I must have a better looking one. I ordered another set. This one was a new streamline and it was in better shape but still not up to my standards. That being said, the shave it gave me convinced me I must have a new one. So I went back on the bay and put a few bids in. Ended up getting a NOS set for less than my first damaged one and a nearly NOS single razor in a case. This one has the slightest faint scratch mark on the head and I'm not sure if it wasn't scratched slightly at the factory. It's odd.

Anyway, I got all 4 of them long before these threads started popping up about Streamlines and they became a must have SE. I'm happy that more people are getting to know them as I think they truly are a great razor that will last a lifetime and deliver some of the best shaves around (however, I have a Darwin Deluxe and it really gives the Streamline a run for it's money-hard to believe a DE can do that but trust me....the DD is a very special DE razor). Anyway, sorry for the long winded response but just thought you should know I wasn't purposefully cornering the market...it was an accident! :lol:

I get what you're saying Jeff...

The thing is,it happens in all walks of life,same exact thing happens with motorcycles,rich urban "bikers" throwing thousands of dollars around all because some new thing or another catches on and they gotta have it.Supply 'N Demand.Hell...a new Harley Davidson Touring Bike costs more than the last SUV I purchased.

The Streamline ain't gonna cure cancer,make arthritis go away or bring world peace.It's a solidly built razor that's richly plated,has a large diameter grippy handle,a Damaskeene-like curved blade cover,some good weight to it... and to put things in perspective,if you own one,you're shaving with a premium top flight single edge razor,and they ain't building them like that anymore.In fact no one's manufacturing high (or even low end) single edge razors except for the $169 Cobra Classic that takes those extended width blades Feather Pro type blades.

There's a lot of ways to skin that cat,I suppose there's worse things to #### away money on.

The thing is,it happens in all walks of life,same exact thing happens with motorcycles,rich urban "bikers" throwing thousands of dollars around all because some new thing or another catches on and they gotta have it.Supply 'N Demand.Hell...a new Harley Davidson Touring Bike costs more than the last SUV I purchased.

The Streamline ain't gonna cure cancer,make arthritis go away or bring world peace.It's a solidly built razor that's richly plated,has a large diameter grippy handle,a Damaskeene-like curved blade cover,some good weight to it... and to put things in perspective,if you own one,you're shaving with a premium top flight single edge razor,and they ain't building them like that anymore.In fact no one's manufacturing high (or even low end) single edge razors except for the $169 Cobra Classic that takes those extended width blades Feather Pro type blades.

There's a lot of ways to skin that cat,I suppose there's worse things to #### away money on.
I agree completely. It kind of reminds me of what happened with comic books and baseball cards years back. Hype artificially balloons the prices.
I wouldn't trade my SL for any other razor, but I'm also not going to go crazy for a Jewel. I'll buy one if it comes available, but it's not a must have anymore.

I think the blade makes a huge difference. The carbon blade based on my limited experience seems far superior to a stainless blade but I am still working on my final conclusions. If pressed I expect to conclude that this razor with a carbon blade is unbeatable and perhaps a newer DE or a fatboy/aristocrat with a stainless blade is an equal shave but not equal in the process. Weight and balance etc. it is just a great tool.

Can I join the club?
$2013-02-07 12.32.21.jpg$2013-02-07 12.32.48.jpg$2013-02-07 12.35.16.jpg

Last edited:
What I don't like about the Streamline.

1. Poor cost/benefits ratio
2. Takes skill to not cut your bloody face up
3. The Brits made it
Jeff, it took me like 2 weeks or more to get used to it. The Streamline is more aggressive than my 1912/GEM and Joris...after few weeks of usage i must admit that it is my top choice razor along with my Toggles, Stahly, Titan/r1, Barbasol, Fatboy. I have bought almost every razor made but i keep the ones that i would shave with and sell the ones that i dont shave with. I am not a collector so i must choose wisely and so far the Streamline has made it to my line up for almost a year now, no regrets.

I use mine enough.

$P1000194 1.jpg

1930's version. $10 BIN on eBay. You do get some great deals between midnight and dawn. Finds like this are a reward for insomnia. It came with the single-wide white bakelite case, but the lid was snapped off at the hinge. Oh well.

Marc, good grounded points. And you somehow were able to associate some of my favorite things to the Streamline: Harley D, the Damaskeene, and anything named "Cobra!"

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it's time for me to hit the reset button on the Streamline. I got initially drawn in to Streamline-O-Mania with one of the Guru Spin/Witch Doctors who went AWOL

After my standard 40 minute drive home from work - I arrived to see the international mail package I have been waiting for! Can't wait to try it out this Weekend - I will be sure to post a review!

$20130208_175340.jpg$20130208_175410.jpg$20130208_175507.jpg$20130208_175518.jpg$20130208_175540.jpg

After my standard 40 minute drive home from work - I arrived to see the international mail package I have been waiting for! Can't wait to try it out this Weekend - I will be sure to post a review!

Wow, that looks brand new and never used! Time to use it :thumbup:

Saaaweet set man. Your arm might feel tired on your first shave as the weight is incredible compared to other razors, makes for a great experience. You can drive a Toyota to work but it is much more enjoyable to take a Ferrari.

Now i am intrigued. I have 2 SEs tha work very well for me: Damaskeene and cobra.
How does the Streamline compare?

Top Bottom