What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Is there a U.S equivalent?
To a Streamline? No. It was made in Britain by Ever Ready. Gem also produced an identical razor to it called a Jewel. The Gem was also British made however it appears that those razors were intended for Australia/New Zealand as that appears to be where they are found. No SE razor in America comes close to the build and plating quality of a Streamline. It's performance is also above any other SE for many people who have tried it. Of course, YMMV.

No SE razor in America comes close to the build and plating quality of a Streamline. It's performance is also above any other SE for many people who have tried it. Of course, YMMV.

My mileage doesn't vary one iota...I enjoy all my SE razors, but as far as looks and performance, it's head and shoulders (NOT the shampoo!) above them all. As someone mentioned earlier, it's not a mild razor and takes a careful, steady hand to avoid bloodshed, but once you figure out the optimal technique, nothing can beat it.

Ha! scored a cased gem jewel last night from the UK for $13.34 USD shipped! small plate nick on one of the nubs on the handle but not bad.

Since you can't really find them in the US and they are cheaper than many lesser vintage DE razors, of which there are more of I suspect.... I would say they will only go up as people get more educated and try them.
They've gone up remarkably in the last two years. As I posted earlier, one guy in the BST had to drop his price to get rid of it. :biggrin1:

Valuation update. With 8 days left there is a very nice cased single jewel on EB already at $66.00 I think that will be a record when you add in competative last minute snipeing. Though I like to see prices go higher this is looking to be an unusually high priced sale.

This one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-E...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_48wt_1142
I was looking at that because of the handle but it looked to me like a 1912 head. I could easily be wrong.

That razor is from an ER Bathroom Set, it's a 1912. The case is a mismatch.

proxy.php

It is really varied but IMO a reasonable amount today is $30-60 for a single and $60-$100.00 for a clean newer set cased from a non collector. From collectors the prices are like $70-$170.00

The range I have seen for that last 8 or so sold is $25.00 to $160.00 for singles, sets, replated or an exceptional complete set. The best prices are from people who do not know it is a streamline. I think only the original paperwork said streamline so only collectors or those in the know can recognize them.

Since you can't really find them in the US and they are cheaper than many lesser vintage DE razors, of which there are more of I suspect.... I would say they will only go up as people get more educated and try them.

Holding a stream line is like holding a high quality surgical instrument compared to any other razor.

Lots of info,all good.Something for all to take note of is that (in my experience) the shipping cost from the UK usually is $12 - $15 in addition to the cost of the razor.

I saw that last night on EB. I am a little leary due to the sellers almost NIL feedback and the bidder who blew my max bid out of the water.

I get that cause I am also an investment freak. DE/SE shaving should grow in popularity and SL's not made anymore and an amazing tool so logic should tell you we are at that start of a major chart uptick in the revival of the SL razor. Of course a DE maker could just make a new heavy mode SE and perhaps improve on it.

Oy vey.

Guess I'll wait until tulip mania has passed.

Of course a DE maker could just make a new heavy mode SE and perhaps improve on it.
I would love to see this!

Also, just to confirm. The Streamline and Jewel are essential the same, just different branding and different amounts of units produced, correct? From a performance standpoint, there is no difference between a Streamline and a Jewel, correct?

I don't have a Jewel but I have 4 streamlines and the Streamline/Jewel both look identical to me. I see no reason for any difference in performance. There isn't a difference in performance between my old and new streamlines so I would expect the same from a Jewel.

Good to know. My mind says, "Buy that Gem Jewel at any cost!" but my whiskers wouldn't even know the difference.

Top Bottom