What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

While I agree the one at the top of that photo above, probably cannot be shaved with, you can't assume that all open comb guards are that way. Can anyone tell me which of the guards below can be shaved with? Bonus point if anyone can tell me which guard is mismatched on the wrong razor (in my opinion at least). Guess by number:
1 2
3 4
proxy.php

Oh... oh... me! me! I wanna guess!

1 and 2 cannot be shaved with. 1 is misplaced. There... what do I win? ;-}

Oh... and I stropped a Pro-Mate today. Worked fine. I recommend someone else tries them and see if I'm just a freakin' idiot. They are cheaper by half and seem to be better.

Yes you are correct. As you can see in the pic below. 1, 2, and 4 curve away from the blade, making them shaving guards. The other two curve towards the blade, and if the blade was installed, it would actually curve over the end of the blade, making blade contact impossible. Those are meant for hair shaping only. In the pic above 1 and 4 are sextoblades, 2 and 5 are Bantams, and 3 is a hair shaper. The Bantam was a shaving razor, but 5 has a hair shaper guard. That is why I believe it came with the wrong guard.

3 and 5 got switched in the pic below.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I don't think so - same kind of design but different coloring and packaging - the Pro-Mates each have a fairly sturdy plastic protector (on every blade). Pro-mates look like:

Yup, even the dog isn't going to like the "Feather" blades, very flexible, not a keen edge, the crimp on holder is too long for the Weck...

Looks like a good candidate for the Bay.

Second shave today...no stropping. Close, comfortable, no worries shave. I'm sold. My Weck is on it's way from Ebay land as we speak.

Thanks for the opportunity KJ...I'll finish out the week and get her ready to ship.

1. duderdo- complete
2. Kentos- complete
3. TnutsShave- complete

4. ladykate- withdrawn
5. jrward2- up next!
6. sychodelix-
7. tomjr- withdrawn
8. Alum of Potash-

I've been following this thread with interest as I have actually enjoyed using my Sanguine Cool Cut razor, however I wish the blade were a bit longer. The Weck looks like a razor that I should try, but it looks like others feel the same way as I keep getting sniped on the Bay...

I do have a Fromm hair shaper at home that came in a razor lot I won and if I don't end up snagging one of these in the near future I may just load up a blade in that to see if I like the size difference.

Keep up the chatter and reviews!

I think I will give the Fromm a chance. If you had zero blades and were ordering for your first shave would you get Pro Mates or Personnas (or other)?

I have used Personna Platinum Chrome blades in my Sanguine with nary a weeper or nick, but did get myself pretty good with a Super Max Platinum (too sharp?)

Thanks again guys.

Get a pack of Personnas for a few bucks. If you decide you like the razor, I would buy a sample of the Pro-Mate and verify that they fit my face. Then... buy a stash because ... well.... just because...

I've been following this thread with interest as I have actually enjoyed using my Sanguine Cool Cut razor, however I wish the blade were a bit longer. The Weck looks like a razor that I should try, but it looks like others feel the same way as I keep getting sniped on the Bay...

Please update, I'm very interested in your upcoming experiences with hair shaper blades. I've been using a Sanguine X-D20 (similar to Coolcut, but different handle) for nearly three weeks, and have had very enjoyable shaves. I tried the Weck thinking I'd appreciate the longer blade, but it cut me up badly (much worse than my first X-D20 shave). Cuts and blood aside, I also found I appreciated the precision I get with the shorter blade, easier to get at all the curves. I did a full shave with the guard and got an excellent shave, but it was more effort than it was worth.

I did a full shave with the guard and got an excellent shave, but it was more effort than it was worth.

I like shorter blades, too. However, using the guard on a Weck is not very comfortable for me. It is, indeed, more effort than it is worth. Try again without the guard. I find them much more forgiving than broken blade razors.

The Weck is a bit longer than an AC or broken blade shavette. Still, it is shorter than a standard razor and can be made useful for me. I like.

I was greeted with a package tonight when I got home. Really excited about using it tomorrow. I've been getting ready for the CPA exam and am taking my first section in the morning (really getting nervous). I'll have a victory shave following that. I would do it in the morning but I have to be out of the house by 6 to make it to the testing center by 8 so I'm crunched on time.

Just to give an update: I'm shaving with the razor for the first time tomorrow morning. Today has been one for the record books and I also decided in the wee hours of the morning that I wanted a good proraso shave to wake me up before the test. On a different note I feel pretty good about the test, so hears to hoping for the best because the pass rate for each section is around 40%.

I'll give a thorough review of the razor in the morning! I'm really looking forward to it.

Top Bottom