What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

Thanks for the tips, fellas. I guess I'm just rushing myself because I can do DE razor passes no problem. If it came easy, what would be the point, right? I'll just keep concentrating on my WTG and XTG passes for a while and use the DE for the ATG final pass for now.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Folks, seems the more I strop this thing on my sprayed strop the better it gets.

That or my technique is getting better . Either way got a very close and comfortable BBS.

The Weck maybe the closest thing to a traditional straight- highly recommended for a newbie straight razor user.

Thanks KJ! It will soon be off to the next user.

Folks, seems the more I strop this thing on my sprayed strop the better it gets.

That or my technique is getting better . Either way got a very close and comfortable BBS.

The Weck maybe the closest thing to a traditional straight- highly recommended for a newbie straight razor user.

Thanks KJ! It will soon be off to the next user.
Damn... Why didn't I think of pasted stropping?

I posted it elsewhere as well but I did my very first 'straight' shave last night. I used a vintage long handle Weck with a Personna blade and Arko stick. I pulled off a WTG and ATG shave on my cheeks as well as a ATG (thats going up for me) on my neck. I did have some cleaning up to do but it went really quite well with NO nicks, weepers, bumps or irritation.

Beginners luck for sure but I owe it all to you here and this post for the inspiration.

I posted it elsewhere as well but I did my very first 'straight' shave last night. I used a vintage long handle Weck with a Personna blade and Arko stick. I pulled off a WTG and ATG shave on my cheeks as well as a ATG (thats going up for me) on my neck. I did have some cleaning up to do but it went really quite well with NO nicks, weepers, bumps or irritation.

Beginners luck for sure but I owe it all to you here and this post for the inspiration.

Congrats! Keep us posted how the next ones go...
Bil

Hmmm, I bet with pastes, you could keep one blade going for quite a while. Looks like I may have to do some experimentation when it comes my way!

Second shave with the Weck, added a pearl of KMF to the bowl and lathered up some Arko, second shave was like the first but I added the ATG on the cheeks and WTG to the neck. I am still fighting the way my hand wants to increase the angle but still, no cuts, weepers or nicks.

I cleaned up (and added a much needed ATG) with the SA and that left a good razor burn that I am not so thrilled about but the Weck did just what it was supposed too. Perhaps a stropping is on order or should I wait until it pulls?

Perhaps a stropping is on order or should I wait until it pulls?

Strop it or change the blade. The blades are not Feather AC blades - they don't last as long unless you do something (like strop them). However, if you strop them (pasted or not), it seems to help a lot and extends the life considerably. When I did the 13 shaves with one, I felt I could keep it going for quite some time. It's just that I like uber sharp steel and decided to change to a new blade. Stropping seems to leave me with a mellow but very serviceable blade.

I got the Pro-Mates today. The grooves look like they are just stabilizers. The edge is smooth like a normal blade. Will update this post tomorrow after I shave with one.

First shave was a positive experience. My beard wasn't that thick because I had shaved later in the day yesterday. However, the feel of the blade was much smoother (for a new blade) than the Personnas. I think the video where the guy said they were more stable is probably accurate. You can feel a difference. I'm not sure if they give a better shave or are longer lasting. Will shave again tomorrow and get a feel for it. My experience with the Brittiny blades was different - the first blade was harsher and the second shave was terrible. Today's shave with the Pro-Mate is DFS easily. Also not sure if they can be stropped. Will try that later. No weepers even though it was a fresh blade. I could feel a little tugging on the tough parts of my beard but nothing serious.

Oh... forgot - the first blade seemed a bit thinner on the spine metal than the Personnas. I had to slightly squeeze the holder with pliers so it would get a good grip on the blade.

Last edited:
Ok...The Weck has landed in the Valley of the Sun. First impressions are good...in general. I like the style of the scales as opposed to the Fromm I tried previously (my only other "shavette" experience). One gripe I may have with it at first "hold" is that the thumbnotch is too far away from the pivot, although none of my razors have a notch, so maybe this is not uncommon. For me, it just seems like it's in the wrong place. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me.

Anyway, I'll put it to work starting Monday and report back. The documentation was a nice touch.

I got the Pro-Mates today. The grooves look like they are just stabilizers. The edge is smooth like a normal blade. Will update this post tomorrow after I shave with one.

First shave was a positive experience. My beard wasn't that thick because I had shaved later in the day yesterday. However, the feel of the blade was much smoother (for a new blade) than the Personnas. I think the video where the guy said they were more stable is probably accurate. You can feel a difference. I'm not sure if they give a better shave or are longer lasting. Will shave again tomorrow and get a feel for it. My experience with the Brittiny blades was different - the first blade was harsher and the second shave was terrible. Today's shave with the Pro-Mate is DFS easily. Also not sure if they can be stropped. Will try that later. No weepers even though it was a fresh blade. I could feel a little tugging on the tough parts of my beard but nothing serious.

Oh... forgot - the first blade seemed a bit thinner on the spine metal than the Personnas. I had to slightly squeeze the holder with pliers so it would get a good grip on the blade.

Are these the Pro-Mates?

$!BZ5rQVwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBKo-v!zQGg~~_12.JPG

BTW: On my second shave with the Pro-Mates. They are definitely smoother shavers. The guy in the video was right. The shave today was a good one - no weepers - no real pulling. I think the blade longevity is still to be determined but it gave me two good shaves. Will strop it tomorrow to see if that even works - will use a beater strop in case it is lethal to leather.

I am ordering a stash of them as we speak. At their price, they can be used for two shaves and still be cheaper than Feather DE blades. I suspect they can be extended by stropping like the other blades but haven't proven that to myself. I'm going to take them on my next trip - in two weeks I'm going to the desert and camping for 7 days and then on to Las Vegas for a convention. It will be a good test and if I find they suck, I'll still have Vegas.

Last edited:
i got interested in this thread & the Weck so i signed up and bought one before my turn, so i bowed out and just wanted to say thanks anyway. here is some of my impressions of my Weck . First off i am a long time straight razor shaver and all that comes with them. that being said i must say that the Weck was a pleasant surprise. it is the closest thing to a traditional straight i ever tried. it could make for a great method of straight shaving without honing, but to me honing is a great part of the straight razor experience. i will use my Weck from time to time i suppose but i think i may have found the perfect razor for my travel kit. tom

i got interested in this thread & the Weck so i signed up and bought one before my turn, so i bowed out and just wanted to say thanks anyway. here is some of my impressions of my Weck . First off i am a long time straight razor shaver and all that comes with them. that being said i must say that the Weck was a pleasant surprise. it is the closest thing to a traditional straight i ever tried. it could make for a great method of straight shaving without honing, but to me honing is a great part of the straight razor experience. i will use my Weck from time to time i suppose but i think i may have found the perfect razor for my travel kit. tom

Well, first shave with the Weck this morning and I have to say tomjr echoes my sentiments exactly (although, I still think that thumb notch is in the wrong place, but I quickly got over that). I had a good three day growth and the Weck/Fromm combo made short work. A couple of weepers that I didn't even notice until I saw a little pink in the lather, but nothing that even just a cold water splash closed up.

I would say that the Fromm blade was as sharp as any of my straights I've honed myself, although maybe not quite as smooth. This is not to say that it was an uncomfortable shave, in fact, just the opposite. The weight and balance were good, so no issues there. I found it quite easily maneuvered around the face and never had any real fear of a nick.

I'll reserve judgement after a few shaves, but I suspect that I'll be acquiring one of these little beauties. They're just too darn convenient NOT to have one around.

Bottom line...Pleasantly surprised about sums it up.

Is the thing covering the blade on the Weck at the bottom of this picture a safety guide I can use as I learn straight shaving? I have one already that has a comb like the top razor in the picture. It would be nice to have two with guards so that I do not need to switch the comb backward and forward on a single razor.
wecks.jpg

$weck 2.jpgLet me try this again, with the picture actually inserted. Is the thing covering the blade on the Weck at the bottom of this picture a safety guide I can use as I learn straight shaving? I have one already that has a comb like the top razor in the picture. It would be nice to have two with guards so that I do not need to switch the comb backward and forward on a single razor.

I tried using the guard, HATED it, I use it with no guard in place and it shaves just like a standard str8 razor. No need to have two guards, it is simply slipped off and turned around to cover the other side. The top one you cant shave with, or at least I have not found one that allows the blade to be usable on one. Just the very bottom one IMHO.

View attachment 306371Let me try this again, with the picture actually inserted. Is the thing covering the blade on the Weck at the bottom of this picture a safety guide I can use as I learn straight shaving? I have one already that has a comb like the top razor in the picture. It would be nice to have two with guards so that I do not need to switch the comb backward and forward on a single razor.

The one on the bottom is a guard, and looks as if it can also be used while shaving to prevent to sharp an angle. Tha one on top looks like a hair shaper attachment and not for actual shaving. I could be wrong though...

Top Bottom