What's new

How do you drink your tea?

Just wondering? Do you add sugar, milk or honey. Whats the best way to get the real taste of the tea?

My wife ordered some flavored teas, and in the mix was vanilla, it smelled so good I had to try it. I found though that it really brought out the vanilla flavor when I added some sugar. Is this true with other teas as well?

I have a nice herbal blend I like to add honey to. It's a Yerba Mate, Blood Orange and Cornflower mix. I'll use a bit of orange blossom honey to make the orange pop a bit.

Mostly over ice. :biggrin:

Down here when you order tea, you don't even need to specify "iced tea", it is assumed.

We (the Wife and I) do drink a bit of hot tea (mostly green - mostly in bags or sachets) on the colder days. No additives unless it is a squeeze of lemon (hot or cold).

For me it depends on the tea, and my mood :wink:. The stronger the tea, the more likely I am to add a sugar, and occasionally some cream. For example, I like a really stout cup of black chai in the morning at work with sugar only, but in the evenings the same tea less stout with both sugar and a healthy dose of warm, frothed up cream. For most of the oolong teas that I keep on hand I prefer to add the smallest amount of sugar, if any at all. For greens and whites I never add anything to them - just enjoy them as they are. I really don't care at all for herbal teas, but my wife does and she adds honey to them, which I think tastes good but alters the taste of the tea quite a bit. Really though, the list goes on (and on) but for the sake of brevity I think that's enough to get the idea.

- R

I (almost) never add anything to my tea. The only exception to this rule is that I will add milk to chamomile, but that's for those days where I'm one step short of abandoning civilization altogether; it's a very soothing mix, both physically and mentally.

I find putting it in a cup, then using the cup to pour it down my throat works best, and creates the least amount of mess. I've heard some enthusiasts say lapping is the only correct way, but I don't notice enough of a difference in enjoyment to bother.

Straight, or with honey.

A nice strong cup of English Breakfast for me, just a splash of milk, nothing else. I love the smell of fruit teas, but find the taste a bit of a let down.

I find putting it in a cup, then using the cup to pour it down my throat works best, and creates the least amount of mess. I've heard some enthusiasts say lapping is the only correct way, but I don't notice enough of a difference in enjoyment to bother.

Straight, or with honey.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I drink mine straight or with a little bit of sugar if its a black tea

Straight, or with honey.

why bother using a cup? it's just another dish to wash!
efficiency, man, come'on!
:biggrin:

Mostly over ice. :biggrin:

Down here when you order tea, you don't even need to specify "iced tea", it is assumed.

We (the Wife and I) do drink a bit of hot tea (mostly green - mostly in bags or sachets) on the colder days. No additives unless it is a squeeze of lemon (hot or cold).

that's the truth, for any non-texans out there (holds true in Alabama as well)

Depends on the tea mostly.
Green - Nothing or sometimes a bit of honey
Earl Grey - Lemon or for a seemingly un-intuitive yet awesomely delicous beverage; with Bailey's Cream Liquor
Black - Used to be milk and sugar, now mostly black.
Chai - Sweetened Condensed milk

Some of this may be serious blasphemy to teaheads, but hey, it works for me.

I drink my Tea (hot or iced) straight. I also drink my coffee black. My wife thinks I'm sweet enough as it is (now that's a load of s***).

The most important part of getting the most out of tea is the brewing. You should use pure fresh water, brought to the appropriate temperature, and steep the tea for an appropriate amount of time. Time and temperature vary between tea types.

Depending on the tea, sometimes one can brew the leaves multiple times and bring out a variety of different nuances.

Excluding tea drinks traditionally made with milk, the addition of sugar, milk, lemon, etc... helps cover cheaper tea, or can be used to try and recover a pot that has been improperly steeped.

Fine teas should be enjoyed straight. That's of course not to say that one can make a drink with additives that one enjoys, but that not how to get the most of out tea.

why bother using a cup? it's just another dish to wash!
efficiency, man, come'on!
:biggrin:

While we're on the subject of efficiency, why bother using electricity to heat the water? Just tell your wife she's gained weight. The resulting glare will bring the water to boiling almost instantly.

The only tea I like is a Long Island Ice Tea :biggrin:

I can't stand tea, hot or cold, just never aquired the taste for it.

Top Bottom